Fenix TK35 vs Eagletac M3C4 vs ????

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I think I have my doglight narrowed to the TK35 or the M3C4. Looks like the TK35 would be about $115 and the other would be more like $150??

Which is your preference and why? I like the M3C4 the best I think due to the diffuser plus longer throw beam, but will I actually screw a diffuser on? Also, will the dark current issue of the M3C4 be unbearable, or unnoticeable?

Custom

Newly Enlightened
i was just researching this myself and decided M3C4 xml due to reading of the eagletac seeming brighter side by side and having more throw. now i'm between the M3C4 xml or the catapult xml, i'm not a fan of all the extra length but light-reviews shows the thrunite having more lumens and lux on the same batteries with the same emitter and also has more than double the run-time to 50%...

i'd have to say the two things keeping me on the fence are the shorter length and the eagletac seems to have a Much larger useable spill

tdoom15

Newly Enlightened
I have the m3c4 xml and am very happy with the output and levels. It will be more throwy than the tk35, but has a decent sized spill, but it's not all that bright. It's also a little larger than the fenix which will make te tk35 easier to tote around and fit in a jacket pocket. The m3c4 would work fine on lower levels I'm sure, but the tk35 seems like it would be a better all around light, but I bought the ET based on throw. I may pick up the fenix at a later date bc I feel like they would be that different, for me atleast.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have the m3c4 xml and am very happy with the output and levels. ... but it's not all that bright....
I'm surprised because my ET M3C4-XML matches or exceeds in both brightness and throw the OLight M3x-XML and the Thrunite Catapult V2-XML, two of the brightest and furthest-throwing regular (non "super lights" like OLight SST-90). These results are confirmed by Selfbuilt's tests.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Rej

Newly Enlightened
Me...I picked up a cheap KD C8 (single 18650) and for $26 delivered to Canada...what can I say?
This thing is incredible!...my 1st venture into the XM-L world, 5 mode reverse clicky (long throw I'm not too keen on) but man is this light BRIGHT:huh: It's solid and simple!

Current draw on high-med-low is 3.21/1.23/0.13 Amps @ 4.18V (AW2600mah) and 2.62amps(high) @ 3.90V.

This has just replaced my Tk12 R5 EDC ...incredible for my nightly dog walks!!

Not to mention, till the XM-L LED is really fully 'utilized', and 'Beta 1' versions are out of the way....why spend a $100+ for a light....

In the meantime I've got one heck of a beast that rivals my M1X for throw,slightly larger than my TK12 and has a huge spill and bright center!

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Tk35 and ET and if I could only have one it would be the Fenix.

I love the look of it. I love the one handed operation. I love the size.

The ET is a bit more throwy but I honestly havent needed it in any of my applications. The ET has a bit more wow factor due to the control ring, large head, and overall more aggressive styling but I needed neither of those things.

It should also be mentioned that the Fenix is considerably cheaper.

Sh3ngLong

Newly Enlightened
i was just researching this myself and decided M3C4 xml due to reading of the eagletac seeming brighter side by side and having more throw. now i'm between the M3C4 xml or the catapult xml, i'm not a fan of all the extra length but light-reviews shows the thrunite having more lumens and lux on the same batteries with the same emitter and also has more than double the run-time to 50%...

i'd have to say the two things keeping me on the fence are the shorter length and the eagletac seems to have a Much larger useable spill

Consider waiting for the triple XM-L version of the M3C4? Looks like it'll be out in the next week or two.

recDNA

Flashaholic
How long can your C8 run on high before it gets too hot or steps down to a lower mode?

liquidwater

Newly Enlightened
heres a pic of the triple xml.

5500016500_9741fe0c0c.jpg

M3C4 Triple XM-L!
LED Lumen output:
1164 (Triple XM-L)
911 (Single XM-L)

ANSI FL-1 Lumen output:
1011 (Triple XM-L)
820 (Single XM-L)

Last edited:

Rej

Newly Enlightened
How long can your C8 run on high before it gets too hot or steps down to a lower mode?

Hi recDNA....doing the math it should only last 45-50 min. on high, but the longest I've ran it straight was maybe 25-30min on high (just because I could:naughty:), as medium puts out almost as much light and is plenty for the dog walks. It does not step down as such(no thermal protection like the Fenix TK35, that I can tell?), but the brightness does go down slightly (hardly noticeable though).

While holding the light it never gets uncomfortably hot, mind you the outside temp is still only 32-40F here so its not been an issue. However in my house just sitting there (not holding it) the head gets 'quite warm' after 5 min or so.

And in all fairness, I've did a couple of simple mods to improve the heat transfer...the large AL heatsink screws into a thread in the head (nice!) so I added thermal paste and also stuffed as much AL foil between the machined AL reflector and head, which helped alot.

For the $$, I lucked out...great buy in my opinion...time will tell :shrug:

Last edited:

Rej

Newly Enlightened
Wow...can't wait till someone (hint Selfbuilt...) reviews that triple M3C4 monster!
Should have decent runtimes, as with those stated lumens they are not pushing the XM-L's much.

Custom

Newly Enlightened
second that Rej.. really want to see the triple vs the single xml & tk35 at medium/long range

Bfunk3717

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised because my ET M3C4-XML matches or exceeds in both brightness and throw the OLight M3x-XML and the Thrunite Catapult V2-XML, two of the brightest and furthest-throwing regular (non "super lights" like OLight SST-90). These results are confirmed by Selfbuilt's tests.

Brightnorm

I think he meant that the spill was not all that bright

...has a decent sized spill, but it's not all that bright.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi recDNA....doing the math it should only last 45-50 min. on high, but the longest I've ran it straight was maybe 25-30min on high (just because I could:naughty:), as medium puts out almost as much light and is plenty for the dog walks. It does not step down as such(no thermal protection like the Fenix TK35, that I can tell?), but the brightness does go down slightly (hardly noticeable though).

While holding the light it never gets uncomfortably hot, mind you the outside temp is still only 32-40F here so its not been an issue. However in my house just sitting there (not holding it) the head gets 'quite warm' after 5 min or so.

And in all fairness, I've did a couple of simple mods to improve the heat transfer...the large AL heatsink screws into a thread in the head (nice!) so I added thermal paste and also stuffed as much AL foil between the machined AL reflector and head, which helped alot.

For the $$, I lucked out...great buy in my opinion...time will tell :shrug:

Sounds great to me. I wish an American distributer marketed that product. I'd also love to try the UltraFire UF-980L 980-Lumen T6 Memory LED Flashlight (1*18650). I read that it draws over 4 amps in high.

blub

Enlightened
second that Rej.. really want to see the triple vs the single xml & tk35 at medium/long range

I have a TK35 and a M3X, the M3X easily trounces the TK35 in the throw department, the TK35 puts out a wall of light though, it is very bright.

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
I chose the TK35 on March 2nd. My reasons were the smaller size, the dual switch with no parasitic drain and I just didn't like the looks of the battery carrier in the ET. it may be solid as a rock but going by pictures I have seen I didn't know. So those are the reasons I chose the TK35.

I really do like it and it throws its wall of light quite well. Lights up objects easily over 500 feet away.

Custom

Newly Enlightened
upriver, good find not sure how i missed that vid. i had to set up a quad shot to really see the differences.

puzzles me that the review shows the m3c4 xml putting out more lumens than the thrunite, but visually (aside from spill size)that thrunite just looks flat out brighter and more useful. wish the batteries were side by side!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all these lights (EagleTac M3C4 XM-L, Fenix TK35, Olight M3X, and Catapult V2 XM-L) are great & perform similarly. I chose the EagleTac simply because of all the output levels & great UI. Also, the diffuser that comes with it has proven to be very useful.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brightnorm

If you are referencing to this selfbuilt's review, you should note that selfbuilt compared M3C4 with Olight M31 (SST-50 version). The Olight M3X with XM-L has more throw and slightly more lumens than M3C4 XML (at least in my styrofoam sphere lightbox).

My throw measurements:
Olight M3X XML - 55000 lux
EagleTac M3C4 XML - 39000 lux