Fenix TK40 vs LD40 for hunting, backpacking, outdoor use

Z

z_igoman

I am looking for a light that I would use for backpacking, hunting. I have the TK11 and the E21 now. The TK11 is great I use it on my rifle, I just hate the CR123 batteries. The E21 is now my backup in the pocket and I use it just to scan an area to see animals and just while I walk to see where I am going :). I like it, its just to low on lumens and throw for me, so I am looking for something else in the Fenix range. Its just so hard to decide:S. I canceled the order for the TK35, because I know I would have problems with the batteries in the future. They are just too expensive for me and rechargables have some problems as I hear. Was looking at the TK50, but I am afraid it would be too heavy and would be left at home. Would use it with the maglight belt carrier, but then I would proably make too much noise while walking in the bush or something. That is also my concern with the TK40. I like the power of the TK40, but its a bit expensive and I am not sure if I can put it in my pocket?

So this LD40 looks prety good for my use, but every light has some flaws I am just looking for the best compromise. I dont mind the plastic, I am pretty confidend that its better than a Barbie toy (not that I have those hehe). I just dont know how the beam is on this light is it realy awfull or not?

I also like the TK40, but I would like to know if someone uses it for hunting and his thoughts on it for this use. I would also use the light on the 300 lumens (give or take) so I would be gratefull if someone has an opinion of the beam on the LD40(turbo) vs TK40(high). Also, did anyone had any problems to this date with the LD40? Any battery carrier snaped? How do you LD40 owners like this light so far, is the beam of this flashlight realy so awful in real use?

Please help me decide.

low

Enlightened
Well, perhaps you will get a reply now that they are up and running again.

Low

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
If what you want is both small and powerful, you don't have a lot of choice except to accept the use of li-ion batteries. If you buy good quality ones, like Redilast or AW, they have built in protection circuits that greatly increase their safety and usability.

That said, you should consider looking at some Jetbeams. If you're really opposed to li-ions they make several models that use 123's and are both small and bright. They even have some new models that use the AA format that are quite bright, such as the new BA20 which is supposed to do 270 lumens on 2xAA.

Look at EagleTac as well, the P20A2 MkII is also an excellent light, and puts out an advertised 230 lumens on 2xAA as well. The Eagles also come with a nice accessory package, and replaceable light engines and reflectors, giving them a lot of versatility.

Both Jetbeam and EagleTac are well respected manufacturers and have a reputation for durability and quality. In my opinion, both make better products in that category (2xAA) than Fenix.

low

Enlightened
I did a wee bit of research and I do belive that Fenix has made the grip on the LD40 better!

Anybody run into any other problems with the LD40?

Low