FeNIX TK35 - Rattling Mode switch and plasticy aluminum

GaryH

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I've just received a Fenix TK35 in the UK from a 99%+ Feedback seller in Hong Kong and would appreciate any views on a few queries please.

(1) The mode switch rattles (only if I actually shake the torch). Is this an acceptable/normal fault/quirk?

(2) The aluminium on the handle/body seems a bit plasticy. Is this what it should be like?

(3) I wrongly put in 2 new 18650 battteries that hadn't been charged. The light powered-up for a minute or so but then died. I checked the batteries and one of them had no charge. I put in charged 18650s and it seems to work ok. But the dead batteries sort-of lit the LED slightly (with no real output) and I could see about 3 or 4 stripes across the LED. Is this what the LED should look like?

(4) Being paranoid (with regard to the plasticy material) I wonder if it's a fake. Are there any counterfeit TK35s? It looks like those on Youtube etc reviews. The box has a serial number which is also on the torch. The box has raised glossy parts. Should I worry?

(5) Also my 18650s are so tight in my Ultrafire charger that the slightly convex positive ends have been squashed and become slightly convex. Is this dangerous or a problem?

Any help please would be much apppreciated.

Many thanks.

Gary

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
One Amazon.com reviewer said he had a rattling switch. However, function was not affected at all.

As for the aluminum feeling plastic-like, i would think the heft of the light would answer that question unless its heavy plastic (?) I would think the light is too new on the market to have any knock-offs so fast but who knows. If the mode switch works properly, I doubt a knock-off would be produced that would mimic the real switch.

Bottom line - I think you're good to go.

Last edited:

Markous

Newly Enlightened
My first post here on CPF

Mine has the same rattling switch but it's not an issue to me.

As for the "feel" of the aluminum it doesn't feel the same as my TK40 but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not to sure about your other questions.

I don't like the battery carrier it could be set up better IMO.

I will not complain about the output though it's a beast!

My first post here on CPF so i am not sure if or where i make an intro.

blub

Enlightened
Re: My first post here on CPF

Mine has a rattling switch too, it doesn't bother me, it's a super nice light and feels and looks well built to me.

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened

Mine has no rattle. The body is thin so it is kind of light feeling like plastic, but if plastic were that thin, it would be flimsy, which this is not. Good light. If you bought from hke, you are good to go.

3Diver

Newly Enlightened

Mine has the rattle but its not annoying to me, for the price definitely worth every cent and as my first torch to start my collection am super happy with it.

xed888

Enlightened
mine rattles as well but only when the light is on. i reckon the plastic switch of the battery holder (not the alu case) is rattling.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Hi

(5) Also my 18650s are so tight in my Ultrafire charger that the slightly convex positive ends have been squashed and become slightly convex. Is this dangerous or a problem?
Gary

I have that same problem with 4 of the 6 cells that I purchased from DealExtreme. I wrote them about this problem (cells are too long for charger) and they said they would send replacements. They never came. I have written them about 5 times in the last year, to find out where my replacements are. I have not received any responses.

This has not been a problem as far as using them in my light (a TK30).

As far as charging them, I just put them in the charger, just far enough to make contact. If I try to push them all the way in, the postive tip gets pushed off center, and smashed.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to this problem, so long as you don't force the batteries too hard.

Jonny

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
First time poster here :) I just received my TK35 yesterday and my switch rattles as well. I took the battery pack out and looked inside and noticed that the switch coupling in the tail piece is the culprit. Not really a big deal IMO. As far as the "plasticy" feel of the aluminum, it's just thin, but still strong aluminum on the sides. Has anyone noticed the tail piece is made out of high quality plastic?

PS, I love this flashlight!

Glenn

jbrett14

Enlightened
PS, I love this flashlight!

Glenn

Glenn, have you found that you don't like the location of the switches? It just seems odd that the switches would be at the opposite end of this size light, requiring a two-handed operation, instead of one, without altering the natural grip. I honestly do not understand the logic in such a design, unless it is strictly to keep costs down.

I have been interested in buying this light, as it appears to outshine my TK30, but I just can't get past the fact that the switches are in a less-than-ideal location.

Jonny

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
Glenn, have you found that you don't like the location of the switches?
Jonny

Hey Jonny :)

I would have preferred the TK50 style switches (electronic activation), and location instead of the the rear mounted mechanical switches used on the TK35. That said, I'm still thrilled with it. It's a super bright, and well made flashlight.

Glenn

JMoCrane

Newly Enlightened
Hey Jonny :)

I would have preferred the TK50 style switches (electronic activation), and location instead of the the rear mounted mechanical switches used on the TK35. That said, I'm still thrilled with it. It's a super bright, and well made flashlight.

Glenn

With the TK35, it looks like you should be able to use the switches with your thumb instead of needing two hands to operate--depending on your hand size. This is a must for me for construction and emergency applications. Does that feel possible?

Also, I've been looking for a thread about a diffuser for the tk35 like the eagletac's for close range operation (major flood). Any info?

P.S. this is my first post!:wave:

bodhran

Enlightened
I would consider my hands to be average in size and I have no problem using my thumb for either switch.

JMoCrane

Newly Enlightened
I would consider my hands to be average in size and I have no problem using my thumb for either switch.

I think I'm sold. Tomorrow I'll buy 1 tk35 with 2 AW 18650 2900mAh from 4 sevens with a 8% off coupon I found online. Any other thoughts or vendors I should hear about first? Thanks for all the info.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

I've just received a Fenix TK35 in the UK from a 99%+ Feedback seller in Hong Kong and would appreciate any views on a few queries please.

(1) The mode switch rattles (only if I actually shake the torch). Is this an acceptable/normal fault/quirk?

The mode switch rattles on the TK35. It's the nature of the way it is designed. It's not an indicator of poor build quality. It's fine.

(2) The aluminium on the handle/body seems a bit plasticy. Is this what it should be like?

It's aluminium machined from a solid block. It's solid and well made. No issues there.

(3) I wrongly put in 2 new 18650 battteries that hadn't been charged. The light powered-up for a minute or so but then died. I checked the batteries and one of them had no charge. I put in charged 18650s and it seems to work ok. But the dead batteries sort-of lit the LED slightly (with no real output) and I could see about 3 or 4 stripes across the LED. Is this what the LED should look like?

The LED is a Cree XLamp® XM-L LED. This type of LED's emitting surface is comprised of about 6 parallel light emitting surfaces next to each other. You'll see this if you look closely with the light off. See Cree's website for the emitter here.

(4) Being paranoid (with regard to the plasticy material) I wonder if it's a fake. Are there any counterfeit TK35s? It looks like those on Youtube etc reviews. The box has a serial number which is also on the torch. The box has raised glossy parts. Should I worry?

It's very likely to be a genuine product. To check it though, use Fenix's serial number checker on their website here. Also, whilst there I suggest register your serial number on their website with your details. Then if you lose it and the finder contacts them, it will be returned to you. It has happened...

I can't answer this one as I don't know enough about 18650's... I try to avoid crushing my lithium cells... They're still a fairly unstable item at times. :poof:

Many thanks.

Gary

mrlysle

Enlightened
Depending on the make, protected 18650's can vary in length because the protection PCB is added to the cell after the fact. Don't know what brand you're using but you could probably find some that won't be as tight in your charger.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Many thanks.

Gary

Hello! Did you by chance order from HK Equipment? If so, rest assured, he's a legit vendor. I've been ordering stuff from him for quite some time now. :)

I guess the TK35 may be a bit flimsy, but hey, its still a great buy for a great light! How's the tint? Did he include 3000mAh Ultrafires?