first post: which light for fighter pilot?

Z

z_EvanWilliams

Hi, guys. I am new to Candlepower. I do post at ARFCOM. Have some ideas from asking question there but thought I would get input here as well.

My buddy is an F18 pilot. His b'day is coming up.

Which flashlight? Looking at the SF aviator (200 bucks) and or G2.

Also, good vendor recommendation appreciated.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
You can't go wrong with surefire. Check out goinggear.com and you can see video reviews for these lights to help you decide.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Remember, there were quite a few posts to this thread since 2/26/2010 and the OP might not be around anymore.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Check out the "Join Date."

That is a result of the latest CPF issue, and is not correct. The OP's thread was brought back to life via google cache, but he obviously lost his post count. See the z in front of his user name.

Bill

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi There Bullzeyebill(and the other mods :) ),
Question: Is there a way to tell when the original post was made?
Some of the posts "reincarnated" restored have the date and time of the conversion and reupload.
I understand the post counts, as I am one of the ones who needed to reregister.
Thank You

That is a result of the latest CPF issue, and is not correct. The OP's thread was brought back to life via google cache, but he obviously lost his post count. See the z in front of his user name.

Bill

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
In the case of this threads first post, it would be 2/26/2011. The OP's post will never be a part of his post count when he re-registers. I may not be understanding you. Let's go to PM's as we are hi-jacking this thread.

Bill

Before making a recommendation, what features are you looking for in the light you intend to gift?

Will this be a survival light in case of a bailout? A general duty light for pre-flight checks and general flightline use?

Any beam color preference? [For example, snow white (6500K); neutral white (5700K); vanilla white (4500K); warm (incandescent) white (3700-4000K)]?

How about size preference? There are excellent lights ranging from a tiny 1x123 format, to 2x123, to 1x18650, etc.

Finally -- and apropos of nothing -- in which service branch does your friend serve? (I ask both out of curiosity, and because Navy fliers tend to prefer cooler white beams, on the theory that there is little aboard ship or at sea that will benefit from a warm color emitter.)

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddy is an F18 pilot. His b'day is coming up.

If he's a nasal radiator, other gift options are a big watch and metal sunglasses to wear when he's trying to cash a $5 check...:thumbsup:

Or, a flightsuit name patch that has a catchy monosyllabic callsign like 'Rip', 'Snort' or 'Blaze'.

Thank your friend for his service to our nation, I miss wearing those coveted Wings of Gold!