The SeptemCore - 1D Mag with 7 XM-L

mash.m

Enlightened
Hi,

after some month of absence i make a new flashlite - the SeptemCore. I make it just for fun. i will sale it in some days, cause cold white is not my taste. i wait till the neutral white are available and make a new one for me :whistle:

Some details:

- old Body cutted to 1D

- selfmade alu heatsink

- seven xml 6063 Bin with 14mm base

- seven smooth dx sku 05960 reflectors. cuttet down to 18mm

- one dx 16 mode driver sku 07612 pimped with a high power fet. only use low med high.

- one ultra clear glass lens

- one imr cell

here some pictures:

5q6f-q.jpg

5q6f-p.jpg

5q6f-n.jpg

and the business end:

5q6f-r.jpg

the opening of the reflectors are a litte big, but the throw of this small pices is great. beamshots will follow.

At high it will draw 15 amps from the cell, that is a little more than 2 amps for each emitter.

thank for looking,

markus

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's AWESOME Markus!

That's well over 4000 OTF lumens! Nice clean build, and great WOW factor. All those XML are parallel? I bet it's hard to match 7 LED's.

mash.m

Enlightened
That's AWESOME Markus!

That's well over 4000 OTF lumens! Nice clean build, and great WOW factor. All those XML are parallel? I bet it's hard to match 7 LED's.

hi, you know my military mag. this was a beamshot at 100 distance:
4swf-6c.jpg

this lamp is clearly brighter. beamshots will follow to compare. the brightness is amazing.

the main problem are the reflectors and centering the leds. after i made the pictures i also see the uncentered led´s, so i remove three stars again and center it. the reflectors now build one unit. i glued all together with 2 component epoxy. so removing and put back together is now no problem.

markus

p.s. nice to see cpf back again :thumbsup:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice build!

I agree with Aircraft800 that parallel 7 leds, matching Vf is a concern. From past experience, even initially vf matched leds, vf will drift apart after use, resulting some leds running extra bright & some gets dimmer as they are getting different amp allocations due to vf draft apart.

But then, there is no boost driver that cold deliver 7 led in a string x2Amp out of a single cell, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
very nice build!

I agree with Aircraft800 that parallel 7 leds, matching Vf is a concern. From past experience, even initially vf matched leds, vf will drift apart after use, resulting some leds running extra bright & some gets dimmer as they are getting different amp allocations due to vf draft apart.

But then, there is no boost driver that cold deliver 7 led in a string x2Amp out of a single cell, unfortunately.

I was considering a similar build, but could never figure out a driver solution. It seems like one of the 3A Buck drivers would be the only other option, but I'm not carying around a 8 Li-Ion Cell light. I suppose you could use 8X 14500's in a quad bored Mag, but I'm thinking it would trip the protection circuit, or have a terrible run time on such low capacity cells.

I'm sure it could be done with multiple boost drivers, but I don't know of any 3A boost drivers.

EDIT: I know you can parallel Sharks, and 3X Sharks can be run with one Remora, just cant think of a good battery option, 4~5 IMR cells? :eek: too big for my liking. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure it could be done with multiple boost drivers, but I don't know of any 3A boost drivers.

I don't think they exist. I actually suggest to George/Taskled to make New product 3A boost driver, he wasn't interested, citing market too small for flashlights. Most his drivers were for other markets with flashlight
being by-product applications.

EDIT: I know you can parallel Sharks, and 3X Sharks can be run with one Remora, just cant think of a good battery option, 4~5 IMR cells? :eek: too big for my liking. Any ideas?

For buck mode, you could probably run 3s-2p with up to 6 XML, drive off 3 IMR C cell using 2 Shark 3A in parallel? each 3A shark drive 3 leds. You could get away with pulling 7A from 3 IMR c cells & do the project in Mag 2D with decent run time?

I agree that battery often being the limiting factor. Out of desperation, I just imported 20 IMR 22430 batteries for making Triple XML into Mag 2C, bearing huge shipping cost out of China. Will post my build soon. They 3 fit perfectly after bore out the the tail cap, but with 1400mAH capacity (more than 2x capacity of AW IMR 123), high amp draw capability & safer chemistry, I am able to run Shinning beam 8x7135 using Down load multiplex method, deliver 2.8A to the string with 3 mode & long run time. Just finishing it up, very happy with the set-up. Nearly 3000 lumens on Mag 2C. 3xIMR 22430 would also allow Mag85 to be done in 2C, which was not possible previously due to battery limitations unless running 3xIMR123 that gives no run time at all.

Last edited:

mash.m

Enlightened
I know about the problem of such a building, so I let the emitters burn in before i build this light. After burn in i select 7 that are very near in their vf. I think there is no driver option for such a small build so it is a direct drive. For me this is ok. The imr gives a very constant voltage before it get empty.

Markus

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

i think i have made some pictures from the driver. but it is an easy mod. remove all the 7035 transistors and replace them with one or two logic-level fets. i always take these from computer mainboards from the garbage at my office. they are always logic level and they are cheap :devil:
normaly i use a d2flex for such a flashlight, but these is expensive compared to the dx one. i post some pictures later today.

markus

mash.m

Enlightened
hi,

some more details about the driver:

5q6f-w.jpg

here you can see a detail picture about the driver. on the upper side the power fet. the gate of the fet is driven by the emitter of the driver with a 100 ohm to ground.
the driver is conected to the mag switch. the led´s have a direct conect to the plus of the battery.

@kosPap
do you need a shematic of the driver and how all conected?

markus

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
wouldn't hurt, but i will guessimate that is wired as any 7135 chip.... one goes to gound, the other is output and the other the wire taht goes to the elg at the left of the three is the modes signalling connestion)

mash.m

Enlightened
wouldn't hurt, but i will guessimate that is wired as any 7135 chip.... one goes to gound, the other is output and the other the wire taht goes to the elg at the left of the three is the modes signalling connestion)

you got it!

mash.m

Enlightened
so, here is the shematic. you can pimp all those cheap driver with a fet and use it for a direct drive. i select this one cause it have a mode group that have only low-med-high. no sos or strobe.

5q6c-13.jpg

markus