XP-G triple using warm, neutral and cool white?

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I will be building some more XP-G triples in an e-series host I got to thinking. I wonder what would happen if I build an XP-G triple board using 1 warm emitter one neutral emitter and one cool white. The thinking is that they would all blend in the optic creating a nice balanced white. Has any one done this with the 20mm XP-G triple board? I would be using a Carclo optic to blend the tints.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
So good to be able to post again! Since I posted this I have made progress on my idea. I recall this post had some replies but I guess we get to start over :)

I ordered up a few XP-G warm, neutrals and cool white emitters from Digi-key and got to reflowing...

The warm is 3K, the neutral is 4K and the cool is something like 6.6K. I believe the average was something like 350ish lumens at 350mA in series.

A tip for anyone trying to photograph LEDs at very low outputs, I used a 700mA driver to illuminate these but completed the circuit with my finger. This allowed them to just barely illuminate with out washing out the picture.

The plan is to put one of these into a triple e-series and to make a lamp out of the other. I'll post pictures of those as progress comes. Until I mount them to a heat sink I can't really do a good comparison shot to show the awesome color rendering (or lack of).

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Wicked work :thumbsup: that's awesome

Thank you. I am just short a few 2.8A 3 mode drivers and a short trip to a friends where I can use a lathe. Copper is there and ready to become a triple e-series heat sink. If anyone knows where I can order up some drivers from that are in stock please share :)

netprince

Enlightened
Where did you get that star? I wouldn't mind building something like this... Nice.

taratata

Newly Enlightened
Hi foxtrot824,

I wonder if there is any difference/advantage to mix three differents leds (warm, neutral, cool) rather than put together three neutral led ?

I guess the color spectrum should be a liitle bit more covered, but if you look at the curves in CREE data sheet, you could see that the lacks are nearly the same between the differents color temperature led family.

So, as you test it, do you see some advantages and/or difference ?

Thanks

foxtrot824

Enlightened
Hi foxtrot824,

I wonder if there is any difference/advantage to mix three differents leds (warm, neutral, cool) rather than put together three neutral led ?

I guess the color spectrum should be a liitle bit more covered, but if you look at the curves in CREE data sheet, you could see that the lacks are nearly the same between the differents color temperature led family.

So, as you test it, do you see some advantages and/or difference ?

Thanks

I won't deny that there is probably little gain in mixing the color temperatures I just like the idea :) If it works .01% better I think it's worth it for the cool/interesting factor. It will be a few weeks until this triple finds it's way into a flashlight but I will certainly post my findings.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was comparing my three warm, neutral, and cool white quarks and sunwayman lights the last few days. Then I wondered what it would be like if my Fenix TK 70 had all three of these emitter colors in one reflector. I tried to turn on all my lights together to see what the beam looks like. It's hard to tell the beam quality. It seems the cooler light is more dominant running all the lights together. It would be cool to be able to select each emitter color one at a time in the same light. Three lights in one.

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I was comparing my three warm, neutral, and cool white quarks and sunwayman lights the last few days. Then I wondered what it would be like if my Fenix TK 70 had all three of these emitter colors in one reflector. I tried to turn on all my lights together to see what the beam looks like. It's hard to tell the beam quality. It seems the cooler light is more dominant running all the lights together. It would be cool to be able to select each emitter color one at a time in the same light. Three lights in one.

I experienced the cool dominating the spectrum. I like the individual emitter idea.

Latest posts