Maglite 3D LED gets a new LED (not sure what it is, pics are posted)

UMDTERPSFAN

Newly Enlightened
Looks like Maglite has upgraded the LED in their 3D models, I didn't see this posted anywhere recently or in a search. I took some pics of the box and emitter (the emitter pics suck cause it was taken with a camera phone). The Box Says its 130 lumens...

IMG_20110226_174325.jpg

IMG_20110226_174338.jpg

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like both of those threads were lost...the LED is a Cree XP-E, and the black 3D Mag is the first to get it. Other Maglites will be getting it as well.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
that light is planned to put out "130" lumen, so drives its single-die emitter at 1/3 of what is possible.

Now rethink:
what sense would it make to use an XM-L then?
(the main positive of that led is, that it can stand 3 A current)

--> very easy: NO XM-L in such a mag, no XM-L in any Mag, anywhen
:rolleyes:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, the harder an LED is driven, the less efficient it is. With regards to the XM-L, maybe possible for another model, but I'm not sure...

KZMAN

Newly Enlightened
I saw the new 3D LED at Target the other day. Almost bought it, but wanted to ask a question first. I'm pretty new to all of this, so please bear with me. I have a Streamlight Scorpion (non LED) that puts out 78 lumins. Since the Mag 3D LED puts out 130, would the Mag be considerably brighter than my Scorpion? It's hard to believe there would much of a difference as the Scorpion is just blinding.

Thanks!

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I saw the new 3D LED at Target the other day. Almost bought it, but wanted to ask a question first. I'm pretty new to all of this, so please bear with me. I have a Streamlight Scorpion (non LED) that puts out 78 lumins. Since the Mag 3D LED puts out 130, would the Mag be considerably brighter than my Scorpion? It's hard to believe there would much of a difference as the Scorpion is just blinding.

Thanks!
:welcome:

And do a lot of reading . Then hide your wallet somewhere you'll never find it .

carrot

Flashaholic
Since when did Mag move to the Cree XP-E? The 3D I have has a Rebel in it... Anyone recall how many lumens the 3D with Rebel is rated for?

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the Mag 3D LED puts out 130, would the Mag be considerably brighter than my Scorpion? It's hard to believe there would much of a difference as the Scorpion is just blinding.
There's more to brightness than lumens. Lumens is a measure of total output, and is non-linear (2x brighter requires 4x lumens). In addition, there is also intensity and beam pattern. The Maglite 3D has a larger and deeper reflector than the pocket-sized Scorpion, so the hotspot will be smaller and brighter. I'm pretty sure the difference will be noticeable.

However, once you get above ~80 lumens, the difference in brightness isn't going to be as obvious as 30 lumens vs. 80 lumens.

Since when did Mag move to the Cree XP-E? The 3D I have has a Rebel in it...
Late 2010. However, some new lights (ie. ML100) are continuing to use the Rebel.