What's more important; batteries or flashlights?

Drjones

Enlightened
What\'s more important; batteries or flashlights?

Assume you have an adequate amount of flashlights; a solid EDC type, an ultra-bright reach-out-and-touch-someone light (like a 3-cell SF, maybe M4/6) as well as a longer run-time light like a CMG Ultra and/or Arc AAA.

I know, I know, you guys will say you can never have enough lights. But bear with me.

Assuming you have a light for just about every need, wouldn't it be more prudent to have extra batteries around rather than just buy more lights?

I ask because I'm trying to tell myself that I have enough lights and need to spend money elsewhere, but part of my mind tells me to get more lights because of the recent blackouts and storm. (Even though I'm on the left coast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

What do you think?

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s more important; batteries or flashlights?

Lights make great battery holders.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have more lights, you have an excuse to buy even more batteries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Reaper

Enlightened

They are both important. More flashlights = more batteries. More batteries = more flashlights.

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened

More batteries than lights, huh? Moderator, move this to BatteryPower Forums, please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s more important; batteries or flashlight

This is a chicken and egg issue. You have to have both for either to have any value.

Spango

Newly Enlightened

More flashlights = consume more batteries. Before you decide to buy more lights, make sure you have enough batteries to feed your lights for a reasonable runtime. Don't get stuck in a situation whereby you have lots of lights but not enough batteries to run them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Unless like me, you have so many damn lights that you have enough batteries for a month or more EASY!

And I have lots of bulbs and LOTS of AAs, so I will never be without SOME form of light!

(I still pick up more Cs and Ds from time to time)

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed with everyone here... "Buy em both!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, I guess if you're talking about lights for contingencies like blackouts/power outages, etc., all you really need is a few (maybe 4 or 5) long lasting LED lights, and maybe a couple of incans, all for yourself & family. The rest of your lights could be cheaper ones that you wouldn't mind handing out to someone else who needs to borrow a light or something.

Thus, concentrate your batteries on those few 'needed' lights that you have, and you'll probably be able to budget out some spare $$ from battery purchases!

I don't keep a lot of spare 123s, partly because the only lights i have (for now) that uses them are my UKE 2L and E1e (+KL1). Whatever is too dim for my 2L goes into my E1e w KL1. The rest of my spare batts are AA and AAA. Apart from the lithium lights, I have a few LED lights that run on AAAs, and some other incans on AA. Besides, AA and AAAs can also be used for other appliances as well, so it never hurts to have more spares in that category!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I joined the rank of flashaholics two months ago. Since then I've bought a couple of non Surefire lights. The rest were Surefires. All together about a dozen flashlights. Of all of them, only two are non 123 lights. Oh, I forgot my M@g mods. So that's four lights that don't take 123's. I keep about a dozen D's and about two dozen AA's around just in case. As far as the 123's go, I have about 50 of those.

What I've been doing lately, about the last few weeks or so, is spreading my light purchases across lights and batts. If I buy a light, I get a rechargeable set up for it. I now have a Pila setup for just about all of my lights. No more battery worries. I also got the AC and DC chargers for the batts. All I need to do now is rig solar power for the DC charger and I should be good to go. I'll probably stop buying rechargeables when I have batts for a dozen lights. That should take care of any emergencies.

I know this sounds like an expensive route to take, but I really don't worry about batts any more. I use my lights as I please without worrying about whether I need to restock my batts.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

I try to buy at least a dozen 123's every time I put a flashlight order in somewhere. I also have a box of 48 AA batts to feed my other stuff. I know it's not quite up to flashaholic standards, but as long as I keep buying them little by little I should be good to go.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I have gone from needs in flashlights, to wants. I still need batteries, though not so much 123s, as AA and D size, plus some C cells. So, right now, batteries are more important than another light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

paulr nailed it, I think. Flashlights make the BEST battery holders. I mean they're often waterproof, store an extra lamp assembly, etc. You even have a spare switch!

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are worried about blackouts, storms etc what you need are LANTERNS!

Except for your reach out and touch someone selection, all your flashlights are compromise measures to help you find and dig out your fluorescent lanterns.

Don't sit around in the dark with a flashlight aimed at the ceiling, bring out two or three 4-d cell lanterns and brighten up the house. Invite the neighbors over that are sitting in the dark with a one half dead flashlight.

GregR

Streak

Enlightened

Just like the New York reload.
When it stops working, dont reload put it aside and reach for the backup!!
Then when you can reload (with batteries of course).

So I guess the answer is extras of both. However I always have more than one light on me but never spare batteries.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

more batteries, as you could use them as hand-warmers and such if you are in a cold environment by taking, for instance, a couple of D cell batteries and wrapping them up in aluminum foil tightly.

Blikbok

Enlightened

A proper mix of both is wise. Obviously one without the other is worthless. However, since alkaline cells are used for much more than flashlights, I'd venture that they may be a little more important.

I see having several lights as being able to spread the potential of your battery stockpile wider than with one light.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have 25 lbs of mixed alkalines, and I was running short (only 30 each left) of lithium 123, so I bought another 50 yesterday...

Anthony

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened

I agree with Stanley, all you really "need" is a few quality lights. A couple of Leds and a couple of incandescent lights. I say a couple of each because anything that is mechanical can fail (even a Surefire). There is a big difference between "need" and "want". I am at the point in my flashlight hobby has to be totally in the want category. If the truth be told most of us here have reached that point. It doesn't hurt to have some loaner lights. All of my Mags are my loaner lights.

Batteries are cheap. If you are ever in a real emergency you are not going to care about $1.00 each or even $3.00 batteries. So always keep more batteries on hand than you think you will need. If they get old, just throw them away and buy fresh, it is cheap insurance for an emergency.

James

Latest posts