RRT 0 R2 - R5 current consumpsion?

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
Hello, i have both the rrt0 xre R2 and the rrt0 xpg R5. My R2 throws more and i have more lumens. Ok i know the xpg is not so good in throw, buth i measured the the current draw to be sure.

rrt0 R2 on max 0.75 amps and the rrt0 R5 on max (3vdc powersupply) 0.6 amps. I also swapped the xpg for a xre R2 to be sure it has nothing to do with forward voltage of the led in question. Same amps reading. So it must be the circuitboard in the RRT0 xpg R5 that is delivering less amps to the led.

I already tried to bypass (with a resistor) some of the resistors on the circuitboard of the R5 to rice the amps to 0.75 amps but no luck.

I could order a new rrt0 R2 and swap to the xpg R5 but i dont like the settings of the R2 (it go from 50lumen on medium to 240lumen on high instead of the R5 who go from +-150lumen on medium to 250 on high).

So is there any modding going on to rice the amps of the R5???

(can someone measure the amps of yours rrt 0 's)

Thanks Marc

njet212

Enlightened
Looks like your RRT-0 is the classic version. Mine is Infinite Brightness version.

Measure today with DMM using AW 16340 ( fresh ), the current draw on max mode is 1.8 A

I found also the standby current is quite high, it's drains my fresh AW 16340 only in a week !! ( with tail switch off )

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
I measured with cr123 battery instead of a powersupply : R2 takes 1amp and R5 takes 0.8amp.
I don't measure any standby current? If my tail switch is off , after 6months it still works.

Mikellen

Enlightened
So just to be clear, the Infinite Brightness version has a "parasitic drain" on the battery while the other segmented or fixed stages brightness version doesn't have a "parasitic drain"?

Is that correct"

gunga

Flashaholic
I think it can only have parasitic drain when in standby. When the tailswitch is off, there is no physical connection, so there can be no drain...

njet212

Enlightened
I know that's weird, but i use fresh AW RCR123 again inside the Infinite Brightness RRT-0 now and let's see how it does after 1 week.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know that's weird, but i use fresh AW RCR123 again inside the Infinite Brightness RRT-0 now and let's see how it does after 1 week.

Yours may be defective. 1.8 amps sounds perfect to me but I don't think it is designed to deliver that kind of power (unfortunately).

njet212

Enlightened
@RecDNA:

Just measured again the current draw using fresh SF CR123 Primary and AW RCR123

At max mode:
SF CR123 = 1.1 A
AW RCR123 = 1.7 - 1.8A

does current draw at SF CR123 is normal ?

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me that the current for the cr123 is normal (mine uses +-1amps on high(r2 version)).
I orderd a new R5 version (not the infinite one) to mod with a r2 and will measure as soon as i have it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
'
@RecDNA:

Just measured again the current draw using fresh SF CR123 Primary and AW RCR123

At max mode:
SF CR123 = 1.1 A
AW RCR123 = 1.7 - 1.8A

does current draw at SF CR123 is normal ?

The cr123 sounds about right but the rcr123 sounds high. Normally, the cr123 is driven harder than the rcr123 because of the voltage difference. Still, if I got one that drew 1.8 amps i'd consider myself lucky!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

travinc

Newly Enlightened
So does the RRT-0 have a parasitic drain? I'm ready to bite the bullet on the new R5 version.

Looking forward to getting rid of the evil red notice since my acc was lost in the forum crash:mad:

bonhomme

Newly Enlightened
I measured the amps on a new infinty brightness rrt0 : on a new cr123 it pulls 1.2 amps.
Just want to know the amps of a rrt0 R5 on max with the 4stage controlring?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go ahead and order one. There is no parasitic drain if the light is shut off. The drain only occurs on standby mode. I can't measure current draw on my light but what I can say is that it does run slightly brighter on an RCR123 than it does on a CR123. It felt more like 300+ lumen than the claimed 255 lumen.

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Go ahead and order one. There is no parasitic drain if the light is shut off. The drain only occurs on standby mode. I can't measure current draw on my light but what I can say is that it does run slightly brighter on an RCR123 than it does on a CR123. It felt more like 300+ lumen than the claimed 255 lumen.

Ok... Funny thing... Went to use mt r5 infinite this morning... Battery doa-aw protected... Exactly 1 week... And i dont use it much each day. Tossed a fresh one in today... We'll see. Now you say standby mode- excuse the question- whats that.. Click on cluck off.... Is there a 'standby' ??

gunga

Flashaholic
Here's a simple check. When the tail switch is off, try measuing resistance between the tail spring and the top of the battery tube. You should get infinite (or very high) resistance, which means it's impossible to have parasitic drain, as long as the tailswitch is off.

In standby, sure, 1 week drain is possible. But when the tailswitch is off, it is physically unconnected, parasitic drain is IMPOSSIBLE. Standby is when the light is clicked on, but the ring is rotated to where there is no light (ie before strobe).

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened
Here's a simple check. When the tail switch is off, try measuing resistance between the tail spring and the top of the battery tube. You should get infinite (or very high) resistance, which means it's impossible to have parasitic drain, as long as the tailswitch is off.

In standby, sure, 1 week drain is possible. But when the tailswitch is off, it is physically unconnected, parasitic drain is IMPOSSIBLE. Standby is when the light is clicked on, but the ring is rotated to where there is no light (ie before strobe).

Ah thanks.. Didnt know that was standby.... I always click it off... I always read with an electronic swith such as nitecore pd theres alot of drain... I proved that couple days ago when my ex10 was dead... Primary read like .16 volts on my meter.. So now i twist the head so theres no contact.

njet212

Enlightened
OK I think I got defective RRT-0. Yesterday I switch my lightly use Mc.Gizmo Haiku Primary CR123 into my RRT-0, checked if it still works on RRT-0 on max mode and it still have power to light my RRT-0. Then I turned off my RRT-0 and leave it on high mode.

After couple hours ( less than 10 hours ) I tried to take some beam shot and the light was flickering. Then I swapped it with fresh AW RCR 123 and it back to work. Very dissapointed with my RRT-0, knowing the standby current was very high and suck my battery juice like there is no future.

Last edited:

Latest posts