Olight M3X vs Thrunight Catapult XM-L?

srfreddy

Enlightened
Not too familiar with the M3X, but the Catapult v3 is out!! I personally don't like their format though, much prefer the eagletac m3 series and TK35 style.

CmeCU

Newly Enlightened
I had the M3X for a couple of days (but returned it because I lost the 'green tint lottery' on it. I will go enter the tint lottery again as soon as GoingGear gets some more in stock.

I just got the Catapult V3 and have a winner in the tint lottery with it.

I like the user interface on the Catapult a little better than the M3X, although the end cap switch may be wonky on this one, so I may need to try another.

As far as throw, since I don't have them side by side at the moment, I can't compare directly, but my impression is the V3 has a tighter focused beam than the M3x did, so would be expected to through farther. If I get another M3x that is non-green, I'll add more details.

blub

Enlightened
I had the M3X for a couple of days (but returned it because I lost the 'green tint lottery' on it. I will go enter the tint lottery again as soon as GoingGear gets some more in stock.

I just got the Catapult V3 and have a winner in the tint lottery with it.

I like the user interface on the Catapult a little better than the M3X, although the end cap switch may be wonky on this one, so I may need to try another.

As far as throw, since I don't have them side by side at the moment, I can't compare directly, but my impression is the V3 has a tighter focused beam than the M3x did, so would be expected to through farther. If I get another M3x that is non-green, I'll add more details.

D'OH! Does this mean I might get the green one you sent back? You got a bad Catapult, so two bad $150 lights in a row?

Last edited:

CmeCU

Newly Enlightened
Well, I guess I won't say anything about the too green Fenix TK35 that I'll also be sending back.

I'm pretty much done with mailordering flashlights - the xml's are too tint variable for me. Luckily, I can go to either GoingGear or 4seven's, since they are both local, and that's what I'll be doing from now on.

Try before buy is my current plan (maybe someone else will like the greenies for St. Patrick's day.)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well, I guess I won't say anything about the too green Fenix TK35 that I'll also be sending back.

I'm pretty much done with mailordering flashlights - the xml's are too tint variable for me. Luckily, I can go to either GoingGear or 4seven's, since they are both local, and that's what I'll be doing from now on.

Try before buy is my current plan (maybe someone else will like the greenies for St. Patrick's day.)

You're lucky. I'd love to be able to visit a brick and mortar store with quality flashlights to try. Nothing like that in the Northeastern US.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I went back and forth on which Cree XM-L light to buy:

Well, i bought the M3X, and i WON the tint lottery.... but i lost the "led is centered in the reflector" lottery. But, it doesn't seem to effect the beam when outside, and I didn't want to risk sending it back and getting a green tint, so I live with it.

I do like the light, it throws VERY far, it is VERY bright, i do like the switch, i only run it on high, with 4 123a batteries. I wouldn't use it as a club, but i wouldn't use ANY light as a club. I plan on keeping it as my go-to light.

If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area, and wants to use it, feel free to ask.

lautamas

Newly Enlightened
both gives a lot of throw. I would say that M3X gives a little more then 10% compared to V2 XM-L. However, bellow can be taken as consideration:
1. Weight: Obviously M3X is much lighter than catapult
2. Beefy: Due to the above reason, catapult is much more 'heavyweight' feel. It has thicker body.
3. Coating: I like catapult coating better.
4. Extender and battery configurations: I love M3x compared to catapult. I am pretty much stuck with extended catapult everytime due to its lack of 1x18650
5. Box: M3X comes with nice plastic box....compared to.....nice..paper box.

monju123

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't use it as a club, but i wouldn't use ANY light as a club.

I think that you could use the Cat XM-L as a club, baseball bat or sheetrock demolition tool if you choose to. Beefiest light I have ever owned, Mags included.

blub

Enlightened
Okay, my M3X arrived but didn't work:mad:, totally bummed! With some fine cuss words and some jiggling I got it to work on high and low but the strobe won't stay on or come back on with memory, sometimes I have to take it apart or wait about 30 seconds and it will come back on. I tried different batteries and cleaned all contacts and it was no help. Anyway, this thing is one mighty thrower! It totally out throws my TK35 by a very large margin, maybe when I send it back the new one will work better. Why is it that the more I spend on a light the worse quality control I receive? This will be my third light (all different brands) that range from $130 to $200 and don't work!

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, my M3X arrived but didn't work:mad:, totally bummed! With some fine cuss words and some jiggling I got it to work on high and low but the strobe won't stay on or come back on with memory, sometimes I have to take it apart or wait about 30 seconds and it will come back on. I tried different batteries and cleaned all contacts and it was no help. Anyway, this thing is one mighty thrower! It totally out throws my TK35 by a very large margin, maybe when I send it back the new one will work better. Why is it that the more I spend on a light the worse quality control I receive? This will be my third light (all different brands) that range from $130 to $200 and don't work!

Come on over to the Budget Forum :) We wonder the same thing :)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cat and the Olight are great lights, but I got the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L and really love it. With 5 output options, great tint color (creamy white on mine,) and a very useful diffuser cap....it's hard to beat it's usefulness.

ergotelis

Enlightened
how are you coming to that conclusion? From the beamshots I have seen it's really close with the catapult having a slightly tighter beam

I have M31, which has the same reflector with M3X. I have catapult xm-l too. Stock catapult at 3amp throws about 45.000 lux(mine U2 modded gets almost 48000 lux) and M31 thows 70.000 lux at 4,3amp. I had put M31's reflector Catapult(which has the same current as M3X) and i was getting about 55.000-60.000 lux.
M3X has wider spill while catapult has brighter but not that wide sidespill. It is a matter of personal choice which fits you best then!

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened

I wonder how often this happens, as I was on the verge of ordering an Olight M3X.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I would have bought one by now except I hate strobe! It figures that somebody who wants it doesn't get it. Still, I would still return it because I know id take a big hit trying to sell it later.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

SHADE02

Newly Enlightened
A FEW WEEKS AGO, I GOT THE CHANCE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN :
CATAPULT V3 AND THE NEW VERSION M2S(WITH SMOOTH REF.), BUT AFTER EVERYBODY TELLS ME THE
V3 HAS BETTER THROW, I GET THE M2S, I JUST LOVE THE JETBEAM
DESIGNS AND QUALITY. BESIDES THE M2S CAN BE USE WITHOUT THE EXTENDER AT MAX OUTPUT, WHILE THE V3 ONLY IN MED OUTPUT.

P.S. SFMBE

Latest posts