Light for personal safety.

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi all,

I am currently walking to and from work (approx. mile and a half each way) and for a good part of this I use a canal towpath, which is unlit and bordering derelict industial land.

I have been using a mini maglite to see where I am going/scare off the rats. I do feel I need something more though. Today I purchased an Inova X5 to better see where I am going.

I have been thinking about the possibilty of getting mugged, especially as winter means walking home in the pitch black.

As guns\stun-guns\pepper spray\batons are all banned here I was thinking of an even brighter light - my father works in a prison and I know they use extremely bright lights to disorient unruly prisoners.

Then of course the obvious thought struck me, I can't carry a baton, but a large enough torch would be Ok to
twak.gif
someone with, as a last resort you understand.

So what would you recommend? Nothing too heavy. Rechargeable would be fine (given the price of lithium batteries, maybe even preferable) as it will be used every day. Bright enough to blind someone and robust enough to floor them (and still work).

P.S. Given my level of mechanical (in)competence modifying an existing torch is out of the question
shocked.gif

Al

Enlightened
Dunno about the surety of "bright enough to blind", but a Mag 4D comes to mind. Better still, seeing as you never know who's carrying these days, pick a safer route to/from work ...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....what about a Tigerlight, pepper spray version for the extra length, but without the spray in it. I've never held a Tigerlight so I don't know how good of a club it would make but someone here with one can give you an idea. Or how about a 6/5/4/3D or 5C maglite for last resort defense and a small rechargeable like an 8AX for blinding power and kubotan maneuvers. Are you allowed to have a GG&G TID on your surefire where you live? A 10X dominator could come in handy according to the threads I've read here.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds like a 6d mag withe a 5w royalblue or cyan would fit your needs perfectly!

5w throws out a lot of light, royalblue will make potential baddies think twice, as blue causes some kind of assosiation with police...and cyan is extremely bright to the human eye.

and with a 6d "special police brutality edition" mag-lite, you would certainly have a club if you needed one
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
simonh,
Welcome to CPF!

I would suggest a three cell SureFire such as the M3. That way you get a fantastic flashlight, and you get a SureFire (which if you hang around here you'll end up having to get one anyway)

If you need to use the flashlight to see with on the dark way home each night, a rechargeable flashlight would be the more cost effective idea. However, if you don't intend to use the flashlight unless you have to, then a Lithium SF123A model gives you the most light from a tool you can carry in your jacket pocket.

Having a TID type thing on a flashlight would certain not go down well if the police wanted something to hang you with.

Use of light or tool as a weapon would require instruction and training and practice etc. Carrying a weapon-like tool may open yourself up to being attacked with it.

The 10X gives you the one box solution for 'duty' runtime from a rechargeable with the ability to use large amounts of light as a 'tactical' tool.
I carry my 10X while I'm walking home at night. Or an M6 depending on what kind of clothes I am wearing.

Al

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to your safety, don`t fool around or be concerned about the costs of the flashlights.

Get the best, and the brightest.

I would highly recommend the Surefire M6. It is probably the best flashlight ever made, and one of the brightest to ever be held in one`s hand.

And if you want a flashlight with rechargable batteries, then you the answer is the Surefire 10X...the rechargeable counterpart of the M6.

Just buy one of these, and you will never regret it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmm, I have just checked out the prices on the surefire's. £383.95 for an M6 ($605.49) Ouch!
But of course I want one
grin.gif

I have also found the Streamlight SL-20X for £135 ($212). I don't seem to be able to find the Tigerlight in the U.K. If anyone knows different can they let me know?

So for now it may have to be a 4/5D Maglite until I save up enough to get one of the others. I don't actually feel that bad about using this route home. The heft of a decent torch would be more of a security blanket. Besides I need the exercise (I'm a software engineer - size XXL).

Thanks anyway.

P.S. I have no idea what GG&G or TID stand for.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by simonh:
P.S. I have no idea what GG&G or TID stand for.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Simon,

TAD = Tactical Impact Device (GG&G is just the manufacturer)

This is what your Inova x5 would look like with one attached:

x5-tid.jpg

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Any large torch can look pretty menacing; but a torch doesn't need to be big to instill an air of confidence. LED torches ar still pretty rare here in the Midlands, and probably aren't that common a sight in Gloucester either.
The light from my BT2 cyan torch, a 2LED 4 AAA powered device, often provokes a variety of reactions, even among some of the hardest youth of Coalville. They either run away from it wondering what the heck this bright turquoise light is heading towards them, otherwise they remark on its "cool" factor.
The most efective torch I have at present is a 5 blue LED modified Benross 4033, a 3 D torch. It is extremely bright and its blue colour has an amazing effect...a motorist reversed away from me whilst encountering the torch's blue output on turning a bend! I don't know what he'd got to hide, but still...
The modified Benross is a "development experiment" as the Benross torch provides a very versatile platform for my torch mods! The large capacity of the D cells and the lack of a fragile bulb means that reliability is not an issue with any LED torch, unless you lob it into a stream or into the path of a passing lorry!
It is intended to hand over the blue Benross to a security guard friend who needs a long battery life, low maintenance torch!
As to other torch manufacturers... there are many on this forum who build very high quality torchware using LED's and Luxeons at surprisingly affordable prices!
See http://www.elektrolumens.com for an example!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are leaning toward the 4/5 D Maglite, consider the 4C version. Many say the narower body of the C makes a better baton that is easier to grip, swing and also a little lighter to carry. NiMH rechargeable C or D batteries are available for these lights. Either way, you can put a Krypton lamp for a 3-cell light in the 4-cell Maglite for greater brightness. Another easy "modification" that goes a long way is to apply a sheet of WriteRight film over the lens to smooth the beam pattern. That would be a good package for either general lighting or security. It's not the ultimate Surefire solution, but you can purchase and operate that affordably and I sure wouldn't mess with someone who was shining that in my eyes.

Frankly, I also like the Mini Maglight AA for security (when combined with some Kubotan techniques training), but you won't get the brightness with that.

By the way, be aware that using a large Maglite as a baton can result in fatal injuries, especially when swung at the head, neck or torso. Be sure lethal force is necessary and justified and start with the limbs.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Carrying a MagLight will be like wearing lead shoes. I guess you want to get fit right?

I'm working on getting a TigerLight myself so I'll post on how things go. Right now, they're not. Hopefully, we'll make progress this week.

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
if you want the output of an m6 (or greater!) the tigerlight would be a great choice if you could find one where you are. i don't own one myself, but people have said they are brighter than the m6, and even the 10x, and throws much farther, second only to (maybe) the sl-35x.

also, being rechargable, if is basically free to operate.

Reaper

Enlightened
As Lurker posted, a mini-mag is a nice size light that won't be noticed by anyone as sinister(?). Maybe a mod. from dat2zip or Inretech and you can up the light while getting better battery life and no bulbs to burn out. One of my older mini-mags has the original endcap replaced with one that has a 1/2" long tip on it. (tip's not sharp and pointed but slightly rounded) Good improvement on the original Kubotan. No one ever notices a mini-mag on a persons belt.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
I think the Mag is the way to go for you in the UK, simonh. I don't think many of the other 'decent' rechargeables are available w/out special order (read extremely costly!) from the States.

Although Size15s - if you manage to get a TL overseas, there can be hope for us yet.
wink.gif
(How do you get around the 110V AC charger issue?)

MicroE

Enlightened
"...as winter means walking home in the pitch black...."
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Using a bright flashlight for walking in pitch black puts YOU at a disadvantage because your pupils are completely constricted and YOU can't see outside the beam.

I would carry two lights: a small Arc AAA for lighting the walkway and a more powerful Surefire to surprise/check out things that go bump in the dark. Just my two cents.----Marc

2dogs

Enlightened
If your worried about your personal safety because goblins lurk in the dark, choose another route. In addition carry a dummy wallet with a small amount of cash and some worthless cards that don't have your id on them. If your confronted moan and wail and give up the dummy wallet. Then make tracks towards the light. If you have no training in self defense and you are a pudgy engineer just holding a big flashlight you might get your clock cleaned for no reason. I'm pretty confident in my ability to defend myself and my family, but I would avoid taking a risk. A flashlight at night is of course a great idea anywhere, for light. A 5 or 6 cell light carried by a suit would look silly. I would be carring a SF 6P, pepper spray, a dummy wallet, and at least one knife. I'll even be adding a TID soon. But I would always choose to avoid trouble. Try to find some one to walk with, or check in at work early and take a walk at lunch. If you look for trouble you can always find it. God bless.

JackBlades

Enlightened

As guns\stun-guns\pepper spray\batons are all banned here I was thinking of an even brighter light - my father works in a prison and I know they use extremely bright lights to disorient unruly prisoners.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If all those weapons are banned, why do you need prisons?
Sorry, just had to say it as I see our rights here in the U.S. slowly being taken away in the name of "safety".
rolleyes.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
Years ago I bought a Maglite 6D from a friend who ran a small LEO/EMS/FD supply operation, he referred to it as "an impact weapon with a built in light". It is almost absurdly large, and in
a properly trained user's hands, it could send a
troll or goblin off to Valhalla (or Val-Hell-a)
right quickly.

But as he also told me, never carry anything that you aren't willing to eat.

My 6D is in the process of getting Luxeon-ized, 5W Cyan 6 NiMH 9000 mA/H, etc. Needs a new lens, the old one got gouged sometime in the last move.

Just the thing for signalling UFOs like in the show on Sci-Fi channel called "Taken".

/ed brown still on planet earth (I think)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Okay an update, by leaving work 15 minutes earlier than normal (i.e nearer the time I am supposed to leave), I have found that one of the few remaining industrial units was finishing at the same time. Hence more people on the path and less chance of being waylaid.

Secondly, over the weekend the council has cut down most of the bramble bushes where undesirables could lurk.

So I have decided to leave work earlier, and if I have to stay later, go the long way round the main road.

The Inova X5 was used for the first time tonight and it made a huge difference in the ability to see where I was going. So I guess now the only reason to buy a bigger, brighter light is the 'cool' factor.

And to upset my boss, A.K.A Inspector Gadget!