Dropped my light today

pahl

Enlightened
I dropped my Surefire 6P today from about 4 ft onto a wooden floor.
I did not have it turned on when I dropped it.
Picked it up, turned it on and no light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I don't drop my flashlights much, but I hope it does not cost me a $15 bulb everytime I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Before you give up, look at the batteries. I had a 123 with the positive button crushed pretty good (maybe I dropped the m6 - can't remember!). My PM-6 wouldn't work with it. My Brinkmann LX does.

Drjones

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:
II don't drop my flashlights much, but I hope it does not cost me a $15 bulb everytime I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get an L4 and it won't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That sucks man...sorry to hear it!

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Before you give up, look at the batteries. I had a 123 with the positive button crushed pretty good (maybe I dropped the m6 - can't remember!). My PM-6 wouldn't work with it. My Brinkmann LX does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping it was that. I had extra batteries on me when I dropped it so I tried changing the batteries first.

New batteries did not help.

When I got home I replaced the lamp and all was once again fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had a scorpion light for a couple of years. I bought extra bulbs for that at the same time I got the light.
I'm sure I dropped the scorpion more then once well I had it and I never changed a bulb in it.
When I sold the scorpion I still had all the extra bulbs I had bought for it.

Anyway I'm hoping it was a fluke and won't happen again or to offten /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Drjones said:
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:
II don't drop my flashlights much, but I hope it does not cost me a $15 bulb everytime I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get an L4 and it won't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That sucks man...sorry to hear it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday, someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What jones said. The biggest advantage of the L4, no fragile sf lamp to bust.

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
It could have been a bad bulb, or a nasty fall (impact-wise). I dropped my E2e 5ft onto a tiled/cemented floor and just got a minute ding on the anodising. The bulb was still going strong.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Call sf. Tell them what happened, they might replace the bulb free of charge.

And, as soon as you can, get an L4!

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
A few of my coworkers who now own Surefire G2's (after seeing the light, pun intended) have dropped them and suffered the same fate. Seems as if some Surefire bulb types are inherently more fragile than others. My E2E has had a couple of hard knocks and never failed. I've heard some other miraculous E2E bulb stories as well. The E2E bulb seems to be one of the toughest Surefire makes. The P60 in the G2 seems to be more susceptible to damage.

Size15's

Flashaholic
My experience has been the opposite - the G2 and G2Z are better able to protect their bulbs then the Aluminium models.

Bulbs blow. Could happen in any bulb light - Even the M2. Bulbs blow.

Good news is that the huge majority are very stable and will remain so for a significant useful life.

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like a dud, or at least its not as rugged as the P60 in my C2. i've dropped mine at least 4 times, and usually from waist or chest height to concrete or tiled floor. i've dropped it hard enough to put some rather nasty dents into the C2, but the very same P60 is still fine. on the other hand i had a P60 in a 6P i had that died for no reason, so i'd get a replacement from surefire if i were you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My G2 has fallen around 3 feet to hard plastic 3 or 4 times. The P60 still lives.

>Checks something<

As a matter of fact, the crushed positive bump 123 is in this light in front of a better one. I find I use my G2 around the house quite a bit!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sound of HA-III aluminum falling on concrete makes me cringe...like finger nails on a black board... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
If only we all had something to prevent this type of thing from happening in the future....I know, if you just gave me all of your torches this would not happen to you any more. I'll be waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about that. Those things happen. Like has already been said I would call Surefire and explain the situation and see what they say.

I dropped my Tigerlight the other day onto concrete this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Luckily nothing broke. Both the lamp and glass lens remained intact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:

When I got home I replaced the lamp and all was once again fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had a scorpion light for a couple of years. I bought extra bulbs for that at the same time I got the light.
I'm sure I dropped the scorpion more then once well I had it and I never changed a bulb in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, in that since the SF wasn't on at the time, you might think that the SL bulbs would be equally at risk from a drop (when off). Therefore it's 50/50 that when the main blub breaks in a fall, the backup has already been broken for some time and you just don't know it......

Doug Owen

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
pahl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, in that since the SF wasn't on at the time, you might think that the SL bulbs would be equally at risk from a drop (when off). Therefore it's 50/50 that when the main blub breaks in a fall, the backup has already been broken for some time and you just don't know it......

Doug Owen

[/ QUOTE ]

"the backup" as in the spare bulb that is in the scorpion?

If so I would think that main bulb that is being used is maybe more at risk of the filament braking because it has been on befor, were as the spare bulb in the scorpion has never been used so the filament has never been hot.

Just my thoughts, it maybe is a 50/50 chance, but like I said before I never had to replace a scorpion bulb in the couple years that I used one. Who know's maybe the spare was broke in it and I never knew it.