ArmyTek        
Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3437383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1352

Thread: Malkoff M91

Default Re: Malkoff M91

ď How do you know v1 is more efficient? Longer runtime at lower output doesn't mean more efficient. More efficient would mean that it has a better ratio of runtime to output. It seems to me from what we've seen so far that efficiency is similar, but one module (v2) has more output than the other (v1)Ē

I get what your saying and you may be right V2 is brighter but itís drawing a lot more at lower voltage anyways. So you are probably getting way less runtime but at a higher output. I think off of 2 lithiumís both are the same. Off of one not sure Iíll have to do a test and see but I think Iíll see that V1 runs much longer but at a slightly lower output. In fact Iím pretty sure I have already done a lot of test with V2 so Iím half way there.

Ok just started a test with each on a single primary for the heck of it
    V1 is drawing 135Ma
    V2 is drawing 355Ma

V1 is brighter but not by a huge margin so letís see how they end up.
    Last edited by thermal guy; 07-09-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

That's exactly my point though. If you don't have all of the data, you're guessing at the efficiency.

The voltage to lux numbers that Grizzman posted show a very close correlation in efficiency:

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman
    Initial Release:
    4.2 volts - 1.53 amps max, & 211 lux

Neutral :
    4.2 volts - 2.1 amps max, & 280 lux
    211 lux / 280 lux = 75%
    1.53A / 2.1A = 73%

V2 is showing a 25% increase in lux and a 27% higher current draw. I'd say it's a bit early to be stating absolutely that one is more efficient than the other.
    Last edited by NutSAK; 07-09-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    - Terry

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Ok just started a test with each on a single primary for the heck of it
    V1 is drawing 135Ma
    V2 is drawing 355Ma

V1 is brighter but not by a huge margin so letís see how they end up.
    How they'll end up is one running out of juice before the other, with both outputting an unknown quantity. Therefore, the efficiency will also be unknown.

My point is not that I think V2 is as efficient or more efficient than V1, or vice versa. My point is that I've not seen any evidence that one is more efficient than the other, so I wonder how anyone here can state that V1 is more efficient.
    Last edited by NutSAK; 07-09-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    - Terry

Ya I get what your saying but but even if they have the same efficient i for one would rather have 200 lumens for 5 hours as opposed 400 for 2 hours. Just an example. One of the things that was sooo special about V1 was it having extremely good runtimes at all voltage levels. Iím not sure your going to be getting that with V2. But again to early to say for sure.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Of course. I get that you like how one runs more than the other. For instance, I'm perfectly satisfied with the runtime/output tradeoff of the V2, others may not be or or prefer one over the other. These are subjective qualities. You feel that a bit over 2 hours of runtime at a lower output on 1x18650 in the V1 is extremely good, and 90 minutes is not. I get that.

Efficiency, on the other hand, like output or runtime, isn't subjective.
    Last edited by NutSAK; 07-09-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    - Terry

The increase in brightness of the V2 over the V1, which my meter clearly registers, hasn't yet been proven to me to be a practical difference.

I'm certain that by Monday, I'll know if the increased brightness is preferred over longer run time. Since the V1 is pretty freaking bright from 4.2 volts, I'll be surprised if brightness wins out (or is even more than marginally noticeable outside).

Honestly, I still haven't decided that the output is better for the majority of my uses than an M61. On the other hand, it's not often I have to charge a 3500mAh cell in my M61/MD2, because my use on high isn't that frequent. Many times I'll grab a Hound Dog (with DC-fix or not) when I know I'll need the output and not use the M61 at all. With the M91BN V2, I don't know that I'll be grabbing the Hound Dog as much anymore with it at hand.

Again, flashlight use is as subjective as it gets. I am certain that 90 minutes of runtime vs. 2 hours of runtime on high w/1x18650 will make no difference whatsoever to my use cases, so why not have the extra output? I'm not carrying this light for SHTF.
    Last edited by NutSAK; 07-09-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    - Terry

TBH I'd rather have a lower output and longer runtimt. 600-1000 lumens isn't a big difference.

Dammit, now I need to get one of these V1s! This is the exact opposite reason why I did this guys!

This is very interesting. Tough to make too much out about these. I should be able to play more with these this weekend. I would also love to see a beamshot comparison with V1. Now back to my WTB thread......

Ok well I tested V1 with a slightly used Cr 123 awhile ago but stopped it after an hour or so. not sure Why but ...

This time I kept them running.
    I got 7hours 30 minutes with V2
    I got 15+ Hours with V1.

Now V2 was at least twice as bright as V1 at the very least throughout the entire time it was on.
    So what I got was V2 running haft as long but twice as bright.Guess it just depends on what you need or what your after. But runtimes are great for just 1X123. With either one.

7hrs 30min on a single CR123?! Damn, and 15+ for the v1! WHAT? Crazy sauce. CR123 test coming up on mine. Very curious to see if each dropin is truly different on DD.

*cant read gud
    Last edited by dotCPF; 07-10-2020 at 07:01 AM.

I had no idea they would run that long. It surprised the heck out of me

Quote Originally Posted by dotCPF View Post
    TBH I'd rather have a lower output and longer runtimt. 600-1000 lumens isn't a big difference.
    Yeah, even a doubling of lumens at medium to high outputs doesn't register as a big difference. It's all about the balance of what you feel is sufficient for your uses vs. what is extraneous or even too much. I'll say that I find the output and efficiency of the v2 module impressive on 18650, but I can't say that the output level is something that I actually "need". Of course I think most of us here have more than we probably "need" in many cases.

The good news is that the preliminary data so far are showing that V1 and V2 are running at similar efficiency. Thanks Grizzman and thermal guy!
    Last edited by NutSAK; 07-10-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    - Terry

Iíd say they are dam close to efficiency levels. But as I say V2 is MUCH brighter then V1. At least two times as bright. Very noticeable.

Thx guys for all the inputs. M91 aka bright as hell on a single cell is the reason i got it.
    Desire to run on low output for longer period is what M61 covers.
    M91 should be bright as hell if you ask me.
    Very happy with V2 results so far

Sent from Tapatalk

Hey can someone do a draw with there V2 on a single primary 123 please?

On a fresh primary, mine starts at around 500mA and quickly settles to around 230mA over a period of 10-15 seconds.

I tried two fresh primaries on two separate DMMs and got pretty much the same result.
    - Terry

Thanks. Ya Iím still between 320-350Ma with a fresh cell. Trying To wrap my head around how it ran for over 7 hours on a 1500mah cell🤔 obviously the draw must go down but god thatís crazy runtimes.

Yeah, that is pretty amazing. I never would have expected 7.5 hours from the behavior we've seen on li-Ion. It seems that there's quite a bit of variation in behavior just within the v2 batch.

Was it out at 7.5 hours, or just too dim to be of use?
    - Terry

Full power couldnít look at it but I have a feeling it didnít go off because it ran out of juice I think it lost contact with the battery/spacer when I was moving it around because I turned it right back on and it was good as new for another 30 minutes but I shut it off because I had to go to work. Iím going to try it again in my MD1 so I donít need a spacer. I have a feeling it had a ways to go.

Just to be clear when I say full power I mean full power off of a 123. So 25-30 lumens.
    Last edited by thermal guy; 07-10-2020 at 06:16 PM.

I'm doing a 1xCR123 test this morning on the v2. Here are my observations. Lumen output is estimated based on comparison with other lights of known output.

0 min: ~500mA, ~100 lumens
    20 sec: 230mA
    1 hr: 190mA, ~40 lumens
    2 hr: 190mA, ~40 lumens
    5 hr: 140mA, ~30 lumens

...to be continued...
    Last edited by NutSAK; 07-11-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    - Terry

My second test of V2 with a single 123 is at 15 hours 30 minutes and still plenty useful. First test I did for both was all screwed up by the host/spacer I was using. You live you learn

Edit. And called it quits. Wanted to check voltage and she wonít come on. Cell is at 2.5 BTW!

Well hell... That's good news, but I wanted to finish this up in 8 hours! lol
    - Terry

Lol ainít going to happen with this bad boy 😁 unless you turn it off when the battery is low. Then you will end the test😁😁

For now I have my M91V2 in a MD1 hi/lo running a 18350. Thing has to be putting out 500-600 lumens on high and 15-20 on low. Pretty cool setup.

Flashaholic

Is the v2 good to use with a 16650?

Absolutely. Wonít get full power but itís still plenty bright.

Full power couldnít look at it but I have a feeling it didnít go off because it ran out of juice I think it lost contact with the battery/spacer when I was moving it around because I turned it right back on and it was good as new for another 30 minutes but I shut it off because I had to go to work. Iím going to try it again in my MD1 so I donít need a spacer. I have a feeling it had a ways to go.

Just to be clear when I say full power I mean full power off of a 123. So 25-30 lumens.
    Looks like I may need an MD1 now.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Ya just tested it to compare with V1. Iíd never use my 91 like that. I get much better results with my 4Lís.

That's completely nuts. 15 hours of useful output from a CR123 or an hour and a half (or more) of 500+ lumen output from an 18650. I ran the V2 for an evening attached to an MD1.5 fed by an 18500. Output was reduced some, but it was still crazy bright.

I have decided that the V1s output from an 18650 is more than bright enough for typical usage around the house/yard. The additional output from the V2 really doesn't provide a benefit. Different circumstances will change the result, but that's to be expected.

For now I have my M91V2 in a MD1 hi/lo running a 18350. Thing has to be putting out 500-600 lumens on high and 15-20 on low. Pretty cool setup.
    I'll bet it's brighter than that. V1 put out nearly 600 lumens with a freshly charged cell.
    - Terry

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3437383940414243444546 LastLast