Imalent        
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff M91

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Malkoff M91

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Love this dropin....

Mines a blem though. May send it back, Gene didnt leave enough room so a MD lens can sit flush in there for the MD series bodies. Either that, or I can find a thinner lens.

Its not a blem. The lens is designed to rest a little high for sealing against the interior of the MD2 Head.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene43 View Post
    Its not a blem. The lens is designed to rest a little high for sealing against the interior of the MD2 Head.
    OK, thanks Gene.

Glad to hear this is normal for the M91, makes sense for the sealing aspect...
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

I am on the back in stock notification on the MD website on one of these. I am putting together a host and was wondering if the OR Zero Res Z41 will have any benefits on the M91.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLOU View Post
    I am on the back in stock notification on the MD website on one of these. I am putting together a host and was wondering if the OR Zero Res Z41 will have any benefits on the M91.
    For lights with regulated outputs (like all Malkoff modules and heads): The light level will stay the same. However, less resistance in the tailcap means less of the battery's energy lost to heat in the tailcap. Your battery life should marginally increase, in theory.

The Zero Resistance is more for unregulated modules like direct drive LED modules, and most importantly incandescent P60s like the LumensFactory high-output bulbs.

Flashaholic*

I wish there was a non potted version where drivers/LEDs could easily be swapped out
    The Malkoff heatsink is probably the nicest and most expensive part of the thing and when upgrade-itis kicks in, I wish I can keep the sink and jam in a new board/ LED

Quote Originally Posted by alex987 View Post
    i really like the malkoff quality and feel but the prize difference between the oveready triple and the m91 is to small i would rather have the oveready triple if you can find it there always out of stock sadly
    I'm a primary kinda guy.... As far as I know,the Oveready Triple can't run on primaries. The M91 can.

Damn it, why did I open this thread? Now I want....

Quote Originally Posted by steveG View Post
    As far as I know,the Oveready Triple can't run on primaries.
    Correct, the Triple draws more power (on high) than primaries can safely deliver.
    Control the Darkô

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Quote Originally Posted by steveG View Post
    I'm a primary kinda guy.... As far as I know,the Oveready Triple can't run on primaries. The M91 can.

Damn it, why did I open this thread? Now I want....
    Never open any Malkoff threads, they make you go nuts!

Now I also want a M91, but I think It'll be too much for my duty uses... the M61 is plenty bright enough and I don't work in a rural city.
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    I wish there was a non potted version where drivers/LEDs could easily be swapped out
    The Malkoff heatsink is probably the nicest and most expensive part of the thing and when upgrade-itis kicks in, I wish I can keep the sink and jam in a new board/ LED
    Unusual perspective IMO? Very little seems to hold it's value in the used market better than Malkoff modules - older units are held in very high regard. Possibly the easiest upgrade is to just buy a new unit and sell the older one, there are often many people looking for the older ones.

Anyone have any pictures of the M91 versus say a Nailbender 3.1 amp XML..... or a derelight XML?

I am still waiting to get an M91!

No beamshots yet? C'mon guys!

Enlightened

Default Re: OK, who got an M91???

Did I ever give my review of my new M91? "WOW!" I love it. Lights up a room or the backyard. The light I think I've been looking for all along.

Anybody got a camera and an m91?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Anybody got a camera and an m91?
    And a M61?
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

Since there is nothing else up yet, here is a so/so beamshot. I do not have a m61 cool.

M61 WARM on left and M91 on right

Distance is about 12 feet.

The M91 spot really spreads out with a bit more distance. It's a nice bright flooder.

I can't wait for the warm m91's to come out, I'd been worrying about the M61 not having an "F" option, looks like the m91 beam is a perfect replacement.

you could always try using a frosted lens (if it's a Malkoff host) - I think "Armor Etch" will let you do one at home - or a Surefire diffuser (should fit both the SF heads, and Malkoff heads, though I never got around to getting a Malkoff host, shame on me).

I wonder if tight XML TIR optics are a glimmer in someone's eye yet? For most of my uses, the M60 beam is perfection... but I have room for one that's tighter still.

Back when I had an M60 I experimented a bit with diffusion, it worked great at making flood, but 200 lumens lacked the reach I wanted with a real flood beam. After seeing that beamshot I think the balance of massive flood and more throw than the old MC-E will be perfect for me. Just need that 4000k instead of cool white.

I paid $60 for an M60 when they came out and loved it. Then when the M61 came out for $70, I got one of those and still use it regularly. I can understand a $10 increase in price (even thought the LED cost is relatively the same), the guy's got to make a profit and account for inflation. I've been highly anticipating the "M62", I was prepared to pay $80 per the trend, but almost crapped my pants when I saw this thing was $125! I hate to say it, but I won't be supporting Malkoff products anymore at that kind of profit spike... He has more than doubled his price since the M60, yet has changed surprisingly little about his product (this is a good thing). Look at the complete XM-L lights I can buy for that price. If you go with a Surefire 6P and a Nailbender drop-in you're looking at a complete Made in the USA light for less than just the Malkoff M91. Nothing changed except the LED which is very comparable in price to the XP-G.

To say the least, I'm really disappointed in Malkoff and will not be supporting him through my purchases anymore.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post
    I paid $60 for an M60 when they came out and loved it. Then when the M61 came out for $70, I got one of those and still use it regularly. I can understand a $10 increase in price (even thought the LED cost is relatively the same), the guy's got to make a profit and account for inflation. I've been highly anticipating the "M62", I was prepared to pay $80 per the trend, but almost crapped my pants when I saw this thing was $125! I hate to say it, but I won't be supporting Malkoff products anymore at that kind of profit spike... He has more than doubled his price since the M60, yet has changed surprisingly little about his product (this is a good thing). Look at the complete XM-L lights I can buy for that price. If you go with a Surefire 6P and a Nailbender drop-in you're looking at a complete Made in the USA light for less than just the Malkoff M91. Nothing changed except the LED which is very comparable in price to the XP-G.

To say the least, I'm really disappointed in Malkoff and will not be supporting him through my purchases anymore.
    I see what you mean as this is similar to the price hike of the XM-L Hound Dog over the XP-G version. However don't feel as if your being ripped off as I don't think the M91's are going to be a large volume seller like their other products as it fits a different market; M61 = 2 cell long life and good output, M91 = 3 cell short life and better output. So in effect I don't think the M91 can be considered a M61 replacement, the real M62 will have removed the M61 from mass production like the M61 did to the M60. Just hope that it's only a $10 price hike on the M62 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmcgo View Post

This is not a comparable die to that inside the original M60. This is more comparable in what was in the original M60-MC-E, they were $125 when they came out. they were less powerful than this is. There is no price spike at all from the old high power "flood" light module to the newer better one. Besides the different LED chip, there has to be better, high current and power handling components in the driver circuitry to handle the higher drive current to the XM-L chip. The new XM-L is a lot more powerful than the original M60 with an XR-E LED making only about 225 lumens. You don't see the better components, you just see a brass module. You don't think about the fact you are comparing a 225-235 lumen source to something over 700 and what it takes to make the new one work. This is actually an inproper apples to oranges type comparison. You don't know that there is any actual "spike" in "profit" margins at all. Your conclusions are unfounded and incorrect. If you can build the same quality LED module for less and sell them for less, do it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MrGman View Post
    This is not a comparable die to that inside the original M60. This is more comparable in what was in the original M60-MC-E, they were $125 when they came out. they were less powerful than this is. There is no price spike at all from the old high power "flood" light module to the newer better one.
    So true. The old m60 mc-e still holds it's value, and they usually sell fast in the marketplace.

The irony is that gene stopped making the mce because they cost to much to make and gene was unwilling to charge more.

Btw, NBs are assembled in the US. Major components are not.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 03-25-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    Control the Darkô

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

I will start by stating that I am not a LEO or someone who depends on his lights for life and death circumstances (I thank everyone who is, your dedication and sacrifices are very much appreciated). I am just someone who loves lights and desires quality products. With that said, and also that I do have drop ins from NB, Gene, and others, my feelings are this:
    I think that there is never a question in my (or anyone's) mind that the quality, beam, and features of any Malkoff product will always be there, as well as the utter dependability - when you press the switch, it WILL come on. You always know what you will be getting. If I were in a position to depend on my life for my light to always function (and always know what speed it is set to) I would definitely, always have one on my person. At that point, price moves rapidly down the list of requirements. I also like the case of supporting a 'small, local, US based' company. I do not make a point of needing to buy US made products, but have always tried to buy the 'best' product, and it is even better that it is US made - there is a lot to be said about how a well made product feels in your hand or that intrinsic enjoyment that is enhanced by quality. The amount of R&D is very apparent in all flavors of the MPL (Malkoff Product Line) I also feel that NB (and some others) are quality products too, but they are made for a slightly different market (that is quickly blending together). Genes products are pretty idiot proof - you are not going to see the magic smoke or have a light that is a screamer but only able to run for a few minutes (teenage boy syndrome, or my 'private' situation ) They may not have all of the features, BUT the ones they have are the best (and the most important).
    When I first saw, and then purchased, my initial Malkoff module (M30W) it did bother me that it was only on or off. Later, I see that this is a feature and not an issue - I have also since discovered the joys of a VERY low light setting, and the need of a good tint.
    I think that as I have matured in my addiction, my priorities have moved towards tint, beam shape, features (this can be multi mode or single mode - they both have their place) as well as the knowledge that it does pay for itself in the end. Who would enjoy, or use, say...that angry blue light?
    The other aspect is customer service (from every aspect - he listens to us, works with us, puts up with our constant whining, and will always be there to support his products! I also feel that the pricing is not off the wall - If SF produced something like this, what do you think it would cost? I feel that the quality/dependability of Gene vs SF is, at the very least, equal.
    Sorry for going off on multiple tangents and my long post. I will be saving my shekels for this drop in. I have a C3 that has been pestering me for this exact module (well, really pestering for a M91W). Thanks for listening
    AnotherADDiction

please also note that quick turn prototyping of driver boards is much more expensive than what you may think especially if it's all done in the USA
    and especially if you've needed to revise the board many times! Gene wanted the module, but he wanted to get it done right, and reliably.

-Craig
    Last edited by csshih; 03-26-2011 at 06:02 AM.

I am glad to see that someone can post against the grain without everyone jumping on him!
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jtblue View Post
    Just hope that it's only a $10 price hike on the M62 lol.
    Is it already stated actually that there will be a XM-L M62?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tuelleric View Post
    Is it already stated actually that there will be a XM-L M62?
    Not as of yet; sorry for getting your hopes up.

Flashaholic

Well, hope dies last...

Well, M91 is not supposed to be replacement for M61... it's completely different horse... Why would Gene change something that, even with this late bump in prices, is the best value dropin on market ??? Do you see Surefire jumping on brand new LED everytime one is out ??? No... they are using LEDs that were "modern" 2 years ago... does that inflict their sales ??? No... Why ??? Top notch product, even with slightly less lumens and runtimes BUT... awesome CS, bombproof product and BRAND that sounds like "Mercedes" when you say it loud.
    Malkoff is a small business but Gene and Cathy are very close to Surefire values, therefore made lot of loyal customers, me among them. I bought one of the first M91's... Is it expensive... yes... $125 - you can buy 2 chinese XML lights and be happy... I like LEGO... Surefire, Solarforce... doesn't matter... if the part I want is offered as genuine Surefire, I go with it... if they don't have it, then Solarforce... as long as I spend HOURS a week playing with different setups.
    I doubt we will see XML as M62 dropin. M61 will have practical value for looong time (you have to admit, if you have a Surefire, want to upgrade it with equal quality, only Moddoo and Malkoff comes to mind)... you install M61WL, DOUBLE the runtime (so spare on batteries), still have equal or even more output and you can still clear thousands and thousands of rounds (or just drop it on the ground) and still have it going. That is PRICELESS !!!
    M91 was not meant to be cheap because the sales will be lot less than M61. Also, development costs money and that money is implemented into product price. Fair manufacturers make price based on calculations but as soon as they reach pitch of them, they sometimes lower the price (not seen lately, though). B2 was 8 billion a pop... because there were only 8 made (not 100% sure of that)... if there was 16 ordered, it would be 5 billion... simple calculation...
    M91... great beam... floody light... working off 3 primaries and making 450 OTF... for me well worth of $125... because Gene is backing up the product 100%... you have issues, you will not be ignored... speaking of issues... hm... wait... there is none with Malkoff... so no need for amazing CS they have...
    There is another dropin on market that is top notch but I never got mine. It's worth money, if you ask me. It's easier for me to get Malkoff products, so... Gene... please... get us more dropins... like Special Edition... they will be eaten by CPF hungry wolves.

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast