Malkoff M91

Darvis

Enlightened
First of all... Man did I miss CPF, welcome back..

That said, who scored a Malkoff M91??

Got mine yesterday and all I have to say is WOW!!!! Loving the XM-L goodness.

Running mine in an FM 2x18650 tube with a new Ronac Cryos head. Gets warm after a few minutes, but not too hot and what a HUGE hotspot. Loving it.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Re: OK, who got an M91???

I was all set to get a solarforce and thrunite xml on a nice tight budget, when I decided to go look at macs customs.............and saw the Tri-EDC...... now I HAVE to have it.... :broke::ohgeez::shakehead:oops:lovecpf

tandem

Enlightened

I was so busy working on recovering posts for CPF during the "break" that I didn't even know Malkoff had released his XM-L module. On the bright side, I didn't spend anything at CPFMP, but missed out on this one. Love my M61.

Looks very nice. 800 mA at 9V, not bad at all for a 2 cell light pumper.

kojoti

Newly Enlightened

Welcome back everyone! Just registered here 2 weeks before the crash and just re-registered :)

I was lucky enough to see the m91 when I was looking for a light for my c2, now I have the m91 coming and a c3.
For good measure also got an m61w for the c2 :p
The m91 should be arriving this week, I'll let you know my experience.

Curias

Newly Enlightened

I got mine a few days ago. Have it in a Surefire E2D with the VME head and 2 rcrs. I really like it so far. It's very bright and very floody. Have not figured out what kind of runtime I'm going to get.

Z-Tab

Enlightened

I got one. Running it in a 9P with primaries. It is a flood master, lighting everything up for hundreds of feet. Mine seems to work fine on two primaries as well, despite the 6.5v requirement on the Malkoff page, but I haven't tested it for long in that configuration. Tried sticking it in a VME head on a 2x123 twisty body and it worked fine... that's a pocket rocket.

mfrey

Enlightened
Malkoff M91 discussion here.

It looks the XM-L M62 model that we were anticipating materialized into a three-cell M91. My initial thoughts are that I wish the price point were a little lower and that it would run on two primaries.

It looks like a viable competitor to the Oveready L1 given its price and beam profile. That said, once you pass the $100 mark for a drop-in, you might as well buy the Oveready, IMHO.

Last edited:

LichtAn!

Enlightened
One thing I've been wondering since I turned into a flashoholic. What's the philosophy behind Malkoff drop-ins? Build quality and good regulation seem to be two of the most important things. But come one a drop-in designed for 3 cells? So you're using a let's say 9P host and still get pretty low capacity. IIRC only 1.5-1.6A is given to the XM-L why not design it for a single cell?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the Vf of the LED and how hard you want to drive it, a single cell may need a boost circuit. That cuts efficiency and therefore runtime. There are always downsides to any choices you make. Such is lights.

Darvis

Enlightened

I was thinking of going this way as well, just to keep it compact, but wasn't sure what runtime I would get either. Guess there's only one way to find out. I'm going to see how how long it runs until it flashes. If it's 45 minutes or so, that would be perfect. I might pick up some lmr 16340's if this 2 cell config works out... The 2x18650 rig just doesn't look or feel right for some reason.

I got mine a few days ago. Have it in a Surefire E2D with the VME head and 2 rcrs. I really like it so far. It's very bright and very floody. Have not figured out what kind of runtime I'm going to get.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Mine works perfectly fine on two primaries, though I have no idea how long it will run before it flashes or shuts down.

donn_

Flashaholic

Mine arrives in a couple of hours, and I'm looking forward to it. I haven't decided what to run it in yet, but it'll probably be either a bored out 9P on 2x18500s or in an MD2 with a 2-speed ring.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait for some more to go up for sale.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
The driver is actually rated down to 5v. However, I have found that depending on tail cap resistance, battery connection resistance, actual batteries used, ....etc., the voltage will pull down enough to induce flashing/shutdown in a good many cases. Rather than have customers fight that battle on a case by case (flashlight by flashlight) basis, I rated it for 6.5v+ and solved the issue. The driver is delivering 2.0 Amps to the LED. Output is greater than advertised.:)

recDNA

Flashaholic
The driver is actually rated down to 5v. However, I have found that depending on tail cap resistance, battery connection resistance, actual batteries used, ....etc., the voltage will pull down enough to induce flashing/shutdown in a good many cases. Rather than have customers fight that battle on a case by case (flashlight by flashlight) basis, I rated it for 6.5v+ and solved the issue. The driver is delivering 2.0 Amps to the LED. Output is greater than advertised.:)

So wouldn't 2 X LiFePO 3 volt batteries be a good choice? How about 2 X IMR18500? 2 amps is just what I've been looking for. 2.8 amps in a 6P just gets too hot too fast for everyday practical use.

kojoti

Newly Enlightened
That was an evil post. :)
Believe me, it's not when you have an M91 incoming :huh:. Reading this I'll try it in my C2 first. It should arrive here tomorrow or monday ....plz not monday ><