Wuben        
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff M91

Default Re: Malkoff M91

I agree. The Malkoff price is high, but the quality of what you are getting is well worth it in the long run. I figured that out very early in my CPF days. I have a pair of M60/M60F modules that I plan to use for many years to come. If I ever have the spare cash when M91's are in stock, I will most likely grab one.

+1

I've been waiting for 2 weeks now for those things to go back on sale. The money is burning a hole in my pocket. I've been tempted numerous times to settle for some other new light, but I know I'll regret it. I am getting a little ancy though.

Dont settle, you will end up regretting it. Save your money until you can get what you really want. Another early CPF lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    +1

I've been waiting for 2 weeks now for those things to go back on sale. The money is burning a hole in my pocket. I've been tempted numerous times to settle for some other new light, but I know I'll regret it. I am getting a little ancy though.
    Me too! I may have to wait awhile for my Australian Dealer (Jimmy 1970) to get his hands on one and that could be a pain; so I went ahead and bought a small 'light to distract myself and I'm really pleased with my choice. I got a Zebralight SC60W. out of China (in 10 days) and it is brilliant.

For US $79.00 this is a magnificent little performer that has to be seen to be believed. I hope I'm not wandering too far off topic with this comment (?)
    This little stunner has relieved most (if not all) of my anxiety re. the M91 for which I have an MD3 standing by; even have 2x18500 AWs charged up and ready to go. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the Z/L and the wait is OK and of course the Malkoffs are always worth the wait!

It may be helpful to know that this batch of M91's was preliminary. They are not in full scale production.
    Control the Darkô

OR Facebook | OR Forum
    | OR Insider | OVEREADY.com

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by mfrey View Post
    My initial thoughts are that I wish the price point were a little lower and that it would run on two primaries.

It looks like a viable competitor to the Oveready L1 given its price and beam profile. That said, once you pass the $100 mark for a drop-in, you might as well buy the Oveready, IMHO.
    Exactly. I imagine the extra design efforts and component costs to handle the added heat loads of the XM-L dictate a higher selling price. The Malkoffs are one of very few such products that allow for 100% usage on "high" settings. Every other high-output product seems to have max limits on run-time. Strange, though, that it results in a near doubling of the retail price of the modules. Double.

At which point it gets tough to say "no" to a decent 1000+ lumen Quad, or a trio of NailBender XM-L modules.

That being said, I've got a great collection of M60 and M61 Malkoffs in a number of SolarForce L2 hosts. Hard to beat 'em. Bombproof, fabulous beam, ability to run on "high" 100% of the time, great heat management, well-backed by the maker, great after-market for used units. Here's to hoping Gene keeps up the great design work.
    Last edited by pnwoutdoors; 03-27-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    SF L2 w/ Malkoff M61W/M60LL, NailBender XMLLambda 2DXML MagFenix P1D/P1D-CES-Mini XPGQuark 123 Tactical R5

Oveready Triple XPG is going to be a great competitor for a long time, that's for sure. I never got mine (I blame USPS for it, but that's another story). If you ask me, Triple is better than M91 (only have M91 to do direct compare but read a lot about V3 and have M91). Similar flood, MORE lumens, throw should be similar, heat issues should be similar, voltage input has wider range - it's awesome that it can be run on both single/double cell setup... Except for lumens and beam profile, current reason for V3 to be better are neutral tints available for XPG but it will change in less than a month, I'm sure, as Cree hit us with other XML tints. There is only ONE thing that M91 has but V3 doesn't: possibility to run it on CR123. Some people will find value in that fact. I wouldn't, I'm always for "free energy", after initial costs pay off. Uh, yeah... much better chances of scoring M91 than V3... those who waited for weeks/months, clicking "refresh" button like crazy know this. V3 is made by one man only vs. M91 being small production line... thus showing V3 only to be more "unique" product...
    I'm sure all hardcore CPF's will find it reasonable to keep BOTH in their collection for times to come... that if they were lucky/patient enough to score both...

I apologize if my post had more info about another product than the one that thread belongs to... this was only done to try to put in perspective comparation of two great products offered to consumers...

Flashaholic*

Personally, while I think it's great to run a light on rechargeables, the fact that you cannot run the Oveready Triple on high with primaries is a dealbreaker for me. I'd love to try one, and maybe only using rechargeables would ultimately be great, but I can buy a lot of CR123s with the price difference between a full M91 setup and an Oveready.

Moreover, I really don't see why there are so many comparisons to Oveready. They are very different products. I would not call the Oveready a consumer product. It's a specialty market item that I would never give to an unsupervised user. It's for serious hobbyists only. The M91 can be operated safely by anybody that is smart enough not to shine a ridiculously bright light in their own or somebody else's eyes. You can give Grandma Maglite a 9P with an M91 and she will be just fine to figure that thing out for herself and operate it completely safely for years.

As far as the lumens it's putting out, I'd love to see some real tests done on the M91. Gene said that he rated it conservatively... I wonder what it's really putting out and whether that changes much depending on the type of batteries it's getting. 450 is a great number, but it is substantially brighter than my Thrunite XM-L which claims 460. At first, I assumed that was an overstatement by the folks at Thrunite, but I'd love to see some independent testing by the very kind people that have the equipment to do that.

I scored an M91 and just had it out in the forest for two weeks, and it's a hell of a great light. Initially, I tested it indoors, and thought that it was just silly bright. I considered passing it on in the marketplace... Once I was outside, I saw just how useful all that light is. It will flood out everything for easily 100 yards, and not a little bit of light, plenty to make out fine details. I ran it on primaries the whole time with "hand cooling" in a 6P with an A19 extension and though it got warm, it never got anywhere near uncomfortably hot, and the light coming out of it did not diminish noticeably during any single use.

Currently, I have it running two primaries down and it's still putting out a hell of a lot of light. There is the faintest bit of flicker, but it is minor and the light is still perfectly usable. There is no way that it would show up in a video, and I can easily convince myself that I'm imagining it because of the description on the Malkoff website. Individually, the batteries are unable to get a Surefire E1B to light up in it's high mode, I do not have a tester to give a more precise read on their state.
    Last edited by Z-Tab; 03-28-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    It may be helpful to know that this batch of M91's was preliminary. They are not in full scale production.
    +

A larger reflector needs to be used.

Large die emitters need larger reflectors ( you don't need OP with XM-Ls')

Flashaholic*

If Gene uses a larger reflector, then it will be useless in his own hosts (md2 head). So i don't think he will do that. The small reflector gives a useful flood, it kind of makes it unike. There are plenty of p60's to choose from with a "normal" size reflector, and with a more "normal p60 beampattern".

+

Gene has the smarts to change the head

Hahahahaha

He is certainly capable of doing it but I highly doubt he wants to.
    You have noticed he makes other items with larger reflectors right? The XM-L Hound Dog springs to mind.
    The P60 compatible market is lucrative and will continue to be utilized.

Flashaholic*

Frankly I hope Gene goes to the step OR and Torch Lab have done - a proprietary head not tied to the P60 format.

The MD2 head is limited because of the tiny aperture.

Since the costs have gone up so drastically for the M91, a proprietary head for the MD bodies would be a better step forward IMO.

Hopefully one with antiroll capabilities. And, a new tailcap with provisions for a small clip, like the one on the Torch Lab Triad tails. Just not as big as the Triad.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Orbital,

Why do large die emitters need larger reflectors? What type of beam pattern was Gene and Don going for with the M91? Thank you!

John

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Frankly I hope Gene goes to the step OR and Torch Lab have done - a proprietary head not tied to the P60 format.

The MD2 head is limited because of the tiny aperture.

Since the costs have gone up so drastically for the M91, a proprietary head for the MD bodies would be a better step forward IMO.

Hopefully one with antiroll capabilities. And, a new tailcap with provisions for a small clip, like the one on the Torch Lab Triad tails. Just not as big as the Triad.
    He already has proprietary heads for the MD series, they are called the VME, the Hound Dog, and the Wildcat, they are as proprietary as one could get. what you want is yet another one, slightly larger than the M60 head but not any where near the size of the Hound Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter1 View Post
    I agree. The Malkoff price is high, but the quality of what you are getting is well worth it in the long run. I figured that out very early in my CPF days. I have a pair of M60/M60F modules that I plan to use for many years to come. If I ever have the spare cash when M91's are in stock, I will most likely grab one.
    This assumes you KEEP your drop ins for a long time. I tend to replace mine as newer/brighter ones come out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see this thread generating some good discussion!!

I've been fortunate enought to have been able to use the M91 for a few weeks now, running in a 9P rig on two IMR 18500's and I have to say it's nothing short of incredible, you really can run this thing full on until it shuts itself off. The amount of light (flood especially) is great, I think it's just the right step up from the M61.

Some things I appreciate: Primary capability. I drained my 18500's one night and was able to bum 3 primaries and keep going, once it happened, I was VERY happy for that ability. The other thing is the abiltiy to run warm and not HOT!!! You can actually hold this thing for the whole run. The last is the flexibility on rechargables, a 6P host works with two 18350... works nicely, actually. You will never see mine for sale in the marketplace.

As for the new oveready triple head, I have that one too, and Kerberos Quads and Vanisledsm Quads, etc. I see them all as complimentary systems, all great at what they do. The oveready triple is a favorite for it's great bean profile, 3 levels and balance of output vs runtime. The quads do what they do best, impress!!! They are bright, but once that few minutes of runtime ends, they are back down to medium or low, or off. Not really practical, but then, who buys them for that reason?

I guess I'm saying that to think one is better than the other would be remiss, they all fill a need. As for quality, all of these sellers are outstanding and great to deal with.

Do I think the M91 is worthe the money? Yes indeed... no buyers remorse here at all.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MrGman View Post
    He already has proprietary heads for the MD series, they are called the VME, the Hound Dog, and the Wildcat, they are as proprietary as one could get. what you want is yet another one, slightly larger than the M60 head but not any where near the size of the Hound Dog.
    Yes. I have all of these, of course I know about them. Since I was discussing P60s and the MD series it's kinda obvious what I meant. :/

The VME, while a proprietary head, is still a P60 host design constrained by the P60 module and the M-series aperture size which is quite small.

If Malkoff built something like the moddoolar head, all the Malkoff magic could be applied without being constrained by prior design and compatibility issues other than making sure it threads onto the MD bodies.

A D36 would be nice and is still pretty lego compatible.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Yes. I have all of these, of course I know about them. Since I was discussing P60s and the MD series it's kinda obvious what I meant. :/

The VME, while a proprietary head, is still a P60 host design constrained by the P60 module and the M-series aperture size which is quite small.

If Malkoff built something like the moddoolar head, all the Malkoff magic could be applied without being constrained by prior design and compatibility issues other than making sure it threads onto the MD bodies.
    Do you mean something similar to the Surefire KX4 bezels?

I'll tell you what...that M61 warm looked really nice. Thanks for the beamshots!

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

I respectfully disagree.

The beam of the M91 is amazingly floody, yet still has a lil reach. Someone said earlier comparing the M91 to the M60 MCE, but with throw. Bingo.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Rolleye11 Re: Malkoff M91

Why everybody is running away from lights that get warm/hot ??? Here where I'm deployed, it's still pretty cold at nights (4500ft above the sea level in desert climate), I use M91 and NB XML, swap them every second day or so... and I find NB way to pleasant for my cold hands while walking, great source of warmth... where M91 only gets mildly warm and since I don't have to lower the bright setting (MD2-hi/lo host) drains my batteries quite fast...
    But seriously, I agree with Darvis 100%... I think I got one of the first M91 that appeared on Malkoffdevices site and it was impulsive buy but from minute one of testing, no regret at all... and it found a great purpose of me (once I go back home where my precious older hosts are) to use C2-HA, A19 setup in 2x17500 for M91 and use my other C2-HA for M61W... When I go cave exploring, I bring BOTH (among either my wife's owned LX2 or my E2E with KX2C head for 200 TIR lumens)...
    Now I'm waiting... for yet another new droping from Malkoff in P60 format that can utilize one or two Li-Ions... that might be a loooong waiting... and I sure hope I'm wrong on that one...

Flashaholic*

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGman View Post
    He already has proprietary heads for the MD series ................What you want is yet another one, slightly larger than the M60 head but not any where near the size of the Hound Dog.

Flashaholic

Gene Malkoff just put some M91s on his site. 13 available as of a minute ago.

Thanks for the heads up, I snagged the last one. Now, what to sell to help recoupe?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Gene Malkoff just put some M91s on his site. 13 available as of a minute ago.
    Last edited by kyhunter1; 03-31-2011 at 08:05 PM.

They sold out too fast. I missed it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporting1 View Post
    They sold out too fast. I missed it again.
    I have 20 more on the way - 5 of those are spoken for.

Hi,

Just wondering, are all the tints on your M91s the same as the ones the Gene sells on his site. I read earlier that there were different tints available somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    I have 20 more on the way - 5 of those are spoken for.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

The beam of the M91 is amazingly floody, yet still has a lil reach. Someone said earlier comparing the M91 to the M60 MCE, but with throw. Bingo.
    We really need somebody with a meter to judge.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast