EagleTac P20A2 MKII: Or is there a better AA flashlight for the money?

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at the fenix ld20 with the cree R5 or the eagletac p20a2 for a flashlight that uses aa batteries, either the alkalines or my rechargables.
The eagletac is just a few dollars more and seems to put out more lumens at 230ish as opposed to the fenix at 180
Are there better choices out there?

GearedUp

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac makes great lights. I am very happy with my P20C2 MKII, quality light. The P20C2 MKII and P20A2 MKII are similar in that they are both using the same XPG-R5. Stick with the textured (OP) reflector with these lights for the smoothest beam. The P20C2's beam is very useful, with its nice bright spill. It's great for medium range use, and will light up a good distance, but not really known as a long distance thrower. I assume the P20A2's beam is similar.

I cannot comment on the Fenix, i have no experience with it.

If you're looking for a 2xAA light with a tighter hotspot and a further throw, look into the Eagletac P100A2, or the Dereelight Javelin which use the XPE led. Impressive throw for a 2xAA lights.

Good Luck.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends what you want. Do you want more throw or more flood? Is tint a concern? What about modes and run time? size?

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
I want more throw than flood and size is not a problem. I want something as bright as possible with a couple of aa batteries as a power source and good medium to long range distance wise. I was reading somewhere that the eagletac had a fairly good area of flood as well as some throw.

Bfunk3717

Newly Enlightened
I have the P20C2 and LOVE the beam. Very useful at short to medium distances with a decent amount of throw. Of course the C2 puts out a lot more lumens than the A2, so that one probably doesn't throw as well. XP-G lights in general are more floody, so you might want to look for an XR-E light for more throw.

Toaster

Enlightened
I want more throw than flood and size is not a problem. I want something as bright as possible with a couple of aa batteries as a power source and good medium to long range distance wise. I was reading somewhere that the eagletac had a fairly good area of flood as well as some throw.

If you can afford to spend a bit more than wait for the Sunwayman M40A XM-L. If you don't want to spend more than the Fenix LD40 will outhrow the 2AA lights by a good margin due to it's larger reflector. If you want to stick with a 2AA light, the Dereelight Javelin with the XP-E module is your best bet.

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I want to keep it under 100 if possible. I like the fenix LD40 but not sure I want a plastic light. I do use it in the cold but I always have gloves on so an alum. body is not a problem. Ideally I'd get the tk40 and a two aa flash also, but my budget is limited. The sunway man is about much as the tk40 i see but looks like a good light also and I would get that except it's over 100.

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I would also second the Fenix LD40. I have used mine, as well as my dads over the past few months and it has been an excellent light with great throw and usable spill. The plastic body has not been a problem, even after dropping it onto the concrete. However, if you prefer a metal body then I would suggest the Quark AA2 Turbo. It can be had for around $70.00, and you can pick up a Quark Mini AA for around $30-$35 for use when more flood is needed.

Good luck!

Last edited:

brett_kartracer

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the LD40 for throw however it is rather large. The neutral white is awesome but it isn't quite as warm as my neutral eagletacs.

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
Does the Dereelight Javelin with the xp-g really push 280 lumens with the 3 aa? The dereelight website says not to use the extension tube on the xp-g ... There are too many choices lol

Calcustom

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Fenix ld20 & the Eageltac P20A2 MKII. The Eagletac is brighter and throws a little further. The led modules are also replaceable on the Eagletac which makes the P20A2 MKII a better value IMO.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Eagletac makes great lights. I am very happy with my P20C2 MKII, quality light. The P20C2 MKII and P20A2 MKII are similar in that they are both using the same XPG-R5. Stick with the textured (OP) reflector with these lights for the smoothest beam. The P20C2's beam is very useful, with its nice bright spill. It's great for medium range use, and will light up a good distance, but not really known as a long distance thrower. I assume the P20A2's beam is similar. ......

Great advice there. :thumbsup: I have both of those ET lights and you are right on. The AA version is same beam as the CR123. Both beam patterns are perfect for general flashlight use IMHO.

-

bobkat

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the javelin, as opposed the the p2012, just before the last two postings with the extra battery adapter.Both are upgradable and both are very close on lumen output. It was down to a flip of a coin for me to decide.
Do they both throw pretty much the same?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
P20a2 mk1 or p100a2 have a tighter hotspot which one has more throw?