Does your PD31 beam look like this one?

mrlysle

Enlightened
Hi all. There was a PD31 thread going not too long ago which I had posted in, but I didn't have my PD31 yet. Got it while our beloved forum was down, and I wanted to see what you guys that have one think of my beam profile. I took a pic of it to share. It's really "ringy" to me. I know sometimes a smooth reflector cause this and maybe it's normal but hey, I'm not sure. Like the light otherwise. Really bright and a real nice low mode. way lower and more useful than my LD10 R4 which I just love. Here's the beam pic. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
that's normal for PD31... I don't have a PD31, but did help to do a group-buy a while back. Tested 6 different PD31, all having the same ringy pattern.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Ok, thanks! I kinda figured as much, but since I'd never had or seen one before, I thought I better check, and what better place than here! Thanks for your reply!

mrlysle

Enlightened
Everyone. Thanks for the replies. Now I have something to share! I'm excited to get this stuff and my PD31 is going to get it! Check this out. Found it by reading through another thread. This looks like a perfect fix for a "ringy" beam like the PD31 has. Here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...haserburn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service I ordered some just a few minutes ago. Can't wait to get it! Maybe some of you others would like to try some as well. Thanks again for all the replies!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is one reason I still prefer the PD30 XP-G, along with it's smaller size. Sure the PD31 uses 18650 but the regulation is so good and the runtimes long on the PD30 I just don't go through many CR123's using it. Cree rings use to not bother me but with all the recent XP-G and XM-L lights that have nice smooth beams I have just grown accustom to it.

With all the things Fenix does right it's really hard to find something to criticize but it seems recently that have made up their minds to use smooth reflectors and IMO it was not the best decision. For instance the PD31 has such a small shallow reflector is really does not matter if it uses a smooth reflector it's still not going to throw with a XP-G so why not use a OP, in the meantime my PD31 sits on the back burner and my PD30 still does all the work.

mrlysle

Enlightened
This is one reason I still prefer the PD30 XP-G, along with it's smaller size. Sure the PD31 uses 18650 but the regulation is so good and the runtimes long on the PD30 I just don't go through many CR123's using it. Cree rings use to not bother me but with all the recent XP-G and XM-L lights that have nice smooth beams I have just grown accustom to it.

With all the things Fenix does right it's really hard to find something to criticize but it seems recently that have made up their minds to use smooth reflectors and IMO it was not the best decision. For instance the PD31 has such a small shallow reflector is really does not matter if it uses a smooth reflector it's still not going to throw with a XP-G so why not use a OP, in the meantime my PD31 sits on the back burner and my PD30 still does all the work.

+1 on the OP reflector! I was soooo hoping they would have the PD31 with OP, but, SOL! Anyway, thanks for all the replies. If you haven't, see post #7. I can't wait to get my hands on this stuff! I'm betting it will turn the PD31 beam into something much more acceptable, and not lose enough light to matter. I'll let everyone know how it affects my PD31!

Doug

Enlightened
Do I have a defectgive PD31?

I just got a PD31 and it has some serious rings.... all the pics/videos I have seen so far shows a smooth center spot, with a smooth flood around it.... Please pose your beam shots if you can, thanks!

frogamic

Newly Enlightened
Re: Do I have a defectgive PD31?

Nah mine's pretty ringy too, I'm sure I read somewhere they are ringy. I thought that was fairly unavoidable with crees and smooth reflectors?

gea

Newly Enlightened

yea mines got about 3 rings. I'm sure that's normal

mrlysle

Enlightened

Hi Frogamic. Please read this thread here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?310749-Does-your-PD31-beam-look-like-this-one

Since that time, I purchased some diffusion film from phaserburn and put it on my PD31. All I can say is WoW! Stuff works great and very little light is lost. Check it out here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...urn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service/page3
Then do yourself a big favor and get a sheet off of him. You won't be disappointed! :naughty:

dsmegst

Newly Enlightened
Sure the PD31 uses 18650 but the regulation is so good and the runtimes long on the PD30 I just don't go through many CR123's using it.

I've got an older PD30 with the "Premium Q5" led. Can this light work with rechargeables? I don't really want to replace it with a new PD31 but I'm getting a bit jealous of my friend that just got one along with 18650 cells.

netprince

Enlightened
Interesting, I had not seen this thread. I must be lucky because I dont have any rings on my PD31. Not even a hint of one. I thought I was lucky because I didn't have a pronounced donut hole...

mrlysle

Enlightened
Re: Does your PD31 beam look like this one? Update!

Just a little update and another plug for DC-Fix diffusion film I got from phaserburn over on the Marketplace. Here's a couple before and after beam shots from my PD31 using the diffusion film. I really didn't like the beam from my PD31, but I loved everything else about it. Great size, very bright, super nice low mode, and fantastic runtimes with an AW 2900mah 18650. I even thought about sending it back, and getting something else instead. I can't begin to remember how I stumbled across, or what the post was even about, when I saw the reference to this film, but needless to say, I checked it out immediately! After reading the whole post, I ordered two sheets of this film from phaserburn. (his user name here on CPF). It actually took me two tries to get it to fit the inside of the bezel perfectly. But once I did, WOW! That's when I knew this little PD31 was a keeper for me! Does it throw like it did without the film? No. But I knew what to expect, and it lived up to those expectations splendidly! From the nice 2 lumen low, to the 304 lumen high, this thing puts out a nice wall of light. So, see for yourselves. Maybe you'll think of a light you could use some on.
PD31%20after%20DC-fix.jpg
:thumbsup:
PD31%20before%20DC-fix.jpg

Last edited:

trouthunterjohn

Newly Enlightened
Fenix PD 31: Update

I researched the Fednix PD 31 at length and heard about the positive aspects and the negative - namely the rings around the beam, and the difficulty in finding one available.

Well, I ordered mine from Amazon the other day and received it today. First off, they must be producing more than the 4,000 of the origional run, because it was easy to find one available. Second, they must have fixed the beam quality, because mine is perfect, with no rings at all.

It still has a smooth reflecter but the beam is sure-fire perfect and I'm pleased as can be.

Just thougth you all might want to give this another look.

Latest posts