Fun with XMls in cheap hosts.

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Well while cpf was off the air I received my T6 XML stars from KD, and I am very impressed with this emitter. First off is my stainless steel ultrafire that is a clone of a fenix p1, I love the stainless body on this one, damm near unscratchable and very robust. fitted the xml direct drive no resistor from a protected 16340 with an OP reflector and 4 QTC pills in parallel and a foam support to stop battery rattle and hold the qtc material in place. WOW, much brighter than the q5 cree I put in there previously and the infinitely variable output right down to a barely visible glow is very cool, right up to turbo mode which is unbelievable for a light so small. hotspot is about 50% larger with a smoother transition to spill which is easy on the eyes and tint is very nice, slightly warm tint to them.
Next up is the ultrafire uf-h3d 1x18650 headlight with an xre as a mule floodlight. the xre in this had quite a cold tint and just wasn't bright enough, but I love the right angle form factor with the magnetic tail. heatsinking was a tiny strip of aluminium wedged between the bare emitter and the body. I trimmed the xml star and fitted a more substantial bit of aluminium with some arctic silver and put it all back together and the thing is easily twice as bright. I reckon the lower vf of the xml is letting the pwm driver run the led a bit harder than the xre was.

Pictures to follow when my camera is charged.
next project is updating my romisen 2x18650 4x XRE light to 4x XML power. I was thinking 2s2p with a resistor to limit current or can anyone suggest a 3a or so driver that will run at 8.4v?

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
51592256.jpg

19733393.jpg

27644162.jpg

68994369.jpg

copiertech

Newly Enlightened
Ok next up is the romisen rc-t5, originally 4x xre, I was going to use 4x t6 xml emitters, But I use this light a lot and to drive 4x xml up into their stride would be too much for 2x 18650s runtime would suffer and they would definitely be overloaded, so I taken a different approach, 2x t6 xml @2.9A and 2x q5 xre @ 900mA
I still have the green and purple spots in my retinas where I accidentally looked at the reflection in the mirror.
img1678jo.jpg

img1680d.jpg

DFlash

Newly Enlightened
Hello this is my first post.
I have a Olight I1 ss and a Ultrafire C8 XM-L. I like the tint and brightness of the Cree-XM-L very much and so I want to rebuild my Ultrafire H3D necessarily on XM-L. I am a newbie. Please can you tell me the conversion again exactly? Is the heat a problem? I think even with the XR-E, it is quite hot. With best regards from Germany