Pal Light with 9V Lithium ?

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody out there tried using a 9V lithium with the Pal light. I'm looking into using it as an emergency nightlight, and long life is very important.

-barry

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a 9V lithium in one of my PAL lights a while back and my impressions are:

If you're going to use it daily, it's not worth the extra $$ as there is NO increase in brightness because of the way the PAL is resistored. There IS an increase in run-time, but not enough to justify a lithium 9V costing up to 5X what an alkaline 9V costs. Also, most lithium 9V batteries are slightly larger than an alkaline 9V making for a VERY tight fit in a PAL light. Getting them in is a squeeze...getting them out is a real MFer!!! If you're going to put the PAL up for emergency storage, then I would say that the lithium 9V would probably worth the extra expense. But for normal use, IMHO, the lithium 9V isn't really worth the $$...

PJD

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The PALs all have that "always on" circuit too, so I don't think putting a lithium battery in one and then chucking it in a closet or drawer for emergency use is a really good idea. Unless you tape the battery to the outside of the PAL and then install it when needed, as needed.

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
OK, I guess you two have convinced me to move back towards the Pak-Lite instead of the Pal Light to use as an emergency storage night light.

Thanks,

-barry

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much does that always on feature really use? PAL claims two years with an alkaline battery. Would a lithium increase that a year?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lithium I tried to use in mine got stuck as the battery is in a slightly larger package. It took two pair of Vise Grips to remove it. It was my oldest light I did not try the battery in a newer one after that so they may fit newer ones.