Streamlight Ultrastinger Modifications

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any modifications for the Streamlight Ultrastinger that will make it brighter? I understand that it will likely give me a shorter run time. Any other bulb I could use with the existing battery stick? Or, instead of 5 sub-Cs, how about a custom battery stick with 1/2 sub Cs?

phyhsuts

Enlightened
I have not seen 1/2 SC cells. Where do they sell them?? GP Batteries have 4/5 SC NiMH cells (GP200SCH) which means that you can put in 6 cells in place of the 5 SC in the SL battery stick. Be warned that SL uses a peculiar arrangement in their Stinger battery sticks which brings the negative end of the battery to a ring arround the positive nipple! The bulb in the Ultra Stinger looks like it is operated very near its limit (read - Short life) and may not like having a 20% over-voltage. BTW the NiMH cells mentioned have 2 Ah capacity so they have more juice than the 1.8 Ah standard NiCd used by SL. Do post the results of the mod as I am very interested in doing what was outlined above but have not the time at the moment to do it myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phyhsuts, I was looking at specifications on the web this morning and I was sort of wondering if the 20 watt Streamlight LiteBox bulb (45902) would work in the UltraStinger? It looks like they are both 6 volts.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
JAS, does the LiteBox bulb have the mounting board that the UltraStinger bulb has? Bulb with mounting board is SL's way of stabalizing the bulb in the socket. Pressure of head on board keeps it in place. Want more light from a SL, go with a 20X, or 35X light. Quality of lightbeam is better too.

Bill

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an e-mail from Charlie Craft, Chief Engineer at Streamlight who advised that the LiteBox bulb is both the wrong thickness and spacing for the UltraStinger.

phyhsuts

Enlightened
JAS - They are both 6V. But the stinger bulb looks much longer and has a base board. Don't know if the bulb itself could be unmounted to fit in other bulbs though. Looks like Streamlight have said "no" to the use of the Litebox bulb in the US. Still would like to fit a WA #1165 (very compact filament) into a US with six 4/5 SC NiMH cells!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
phyhsuts, yes SL has, in effect, potted their US to that base board. I think for thermal protection to top of light body, due to plastic present in that area, I think it unwise to install a high wattage bi-pin bulb in pin holes.

Bill