Looking for my first light...

senfinger

Newly Enlightened
Wanted to go with something in the SF Brand-

EDC
Grey/Ano (Prefer not required)
Lanyard Hole/Ring (Light Pocket Pouch on EDC Bag)
Prefer 123A (Shelf life over Alk)
Nice general Dual Light (Long Hours Low and 2ish on High Lum)
Prefer 1 batt 2 is possible though for perfect setup.

Looking at say E1B, E2DL, LX2 or A2L

Let me hear some thoughts! = ) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Please keep in mind that 123A and A123 are different battery kinds. The one you are referring to is 123A or CR123A.

A lot of users like the clicky lights (E1B, E2DL) over the twisty ones (L1, LX2, A2L). I like both but have different uses for both.

Choose clicky if you want quick one-handed convenience. It is fairly easy to manipulate a twisty one-handed but requires more dexterity and still isn't as fast.

On the other hand, the twisty offers instant access to either mode, and is ideal for hikers, hunters, etc, who may rely mostly on the low mode but use the high mode in small bursts.

If you want one-celled, look at the E1B or the L1. They are roughly comparable although the E1B has higher output.

If you want two-celled, look at the E2DL or LX2. They are also roughly comparable. The A2L should also not be disregarded in your decision: it offers the flexibility of two types of output: flood and throw in a single light, which makes it very versatile.

The other models mentioned here are all geared more towards throw, but can have flood when outfitted with an F04 diffuser. In practice, the F04 works very well, but is sort of inconvenient because it is an extra attachment on the light. The FM54 is another viable option to give flood to your light but it is quite costly! It is a very useful and well made accessory but not everyone can justify the added cost over the F04.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrots insight are very useful. I can't add much to what he has said, unless I had an idea of what you would be using the light for. Camping? Work? Just plain EDC? Give me an idea of the usage and I could help...I've used/owned every SF model out there save 1 or 2, and have a good idea which lights are best suited for certain uses.

Welcome to CPF BTW!

senfinger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot Carrot very insightful and corrected my op.

angelofwar it would be for everything- EDC/Camping/Work

It looks look like E1B, LX2 and E2DL -Still on the fence with the A2L... Love the LX light pattern.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your going to be using it for "everything", I'd recommend the A2L. If you take just a E1B or LX2 camping, you'll find out its limitations (the TIR beams are nice, but most have zero spill), and as Carrot mentioned, while nice, the F04's become a hinderance of a sort, always having to take it off and on, and then misplacing it due to it's small size. The A2L can be seen as an LX2 with a reflector of sorts. If you get the A2L-WH (White version), you have a nice up close floody beam for walking down paths, looking in a car hood at night, etc., and the high beam on the A2L (since it's reflectored), has a nice mix of flood and throw. And the UI that the LX2/A2L/L1 sports is one of the most popular there is, and for good reason. Press a little for low, and harder for high.

Try looking at a circuit breaker box with both hands occupied and an LX2 held beween your neck and shoulders...

If you're just getting one for "everything", I say go with the A2L. If you planned on getting more than one, then my recommendations would change.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: There's some A2L's going for cheap on the market place, I'll see if I can find you a link. I got mine new for $155 off the MP.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
The only one you listed that I have direct experience with is the E2DL. It is a great light, and I agree that the diffuser is an excellent option that adds to its flexibility.

I had also considered the A2L (with red flood), but the E2DL is brighter on max. Then, with the option of using the diffuser (or a red filter instead), you have maximum flexibility. Higher high, lower low, slightly smaller, and less expensive (even after adding both accessories) than the A2L -- that was my thinking, anyway.

senfinger

Newly Enlightened
The only issue I see is the Time vs. Lum- (Due to LED Layout/Diff)

LX2 200LUM @ 2-Hours/15LUM @ 47-Hours

A2 120LUM @ 2-Hours/10LUM @ 15-Hours

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the LX2 is better on paper, and honestly, if you hadn't thrown camping in there, I'd recommend that, but a TIR lens in the woods at night can be dangerous in real useage (i.e. Tunnel Vision)

My only rationale for the A2L over the LX2 is, for an EDC light, I'd put UTILITY first. When I'm looking for a defense/SAR light, I want brightness. When looking for an Emergency light, I want runtime. The A2L is the compromise.

If your really torn between the two, I'd say get a used E1B or L1 off the market place, for dual out-put, long runtime thrower, and something with a reflector (G2X Pro, etc.). Keep the L1/E1B on your person and the G2X/6PL, whatever, in your pack. The E1B/L1 has the added bonus of being able to attach to a ball-cap for starting a fire, etc.

Both of these can be had off the Market Place for less than what either the LX2 or A2L would cost. Once you've experienced their utility, then it becomes much easier after time to decide what your next light purchase is going to be. It's just that alot of older CPF'ers, while they appreciate the increased out-put and range of the TIR optics, have also learned of it's limits.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Hey senfinger!

Lot's of good input here already.

I EDC a Surefire e2l daily. I got it off the marketplace used. It's 3 lumens on low (for ~100 hours) and 60 lumens on high (for ~6 hours). The high is actually more like 80 lumens, and throws pretty well. I love the slim profile of this light.

The body was already bored out so it fits a 17670 rechargeable cell. I EDC it with the rechargeable in it and spare CR123 cells nearby. Free lumens until the SHTF! :naughty: Someone measured the runtime on the 17670 once and it came out to be about 60 hours on low and maybe 4 hours on high... not bad at all!

I also put a scalloped tail cap (the kind that comes with the e2dl) on it that I bought from the marketplace. This allows it to tail stand and help prevent accidental activation.

I had a single cell lego light (modded KL1 on an e1e body) once and it didn't fit my hand well. I'm still interested in getting my hands around an e1b with mention scalloped tail cap attached so I can try it out.

Good luck in your hunt... and if you can't decide, buy one of each! :devil: