Weapon flashlight that has good spot vs flood?

G45

Newly Enlightened
I have a SFM4 that is mounted to a rifle barrel and wanted to know if there is a flashlight (1in. Diam. housing) that throws a better spot? I asked SF if they made an alternative reflector (smooth vs dimpled) but they have no such options. Any suggestions / modifications / referrals would be appreciated.

Size15's

Flashaholic
G45, Welcome to CPF!

What are you applications and ranges at which you need more light?
Are you use the MN60 or MN61 lamp?
And are you viewing the targets through a scope?

To my eyes the difference between the throw of the UltraStinger (thin body), TigerLight 8" (very fat body) and a SureFire such as the M4 is not that significant although the both do have smaller, tighter beams compared to the M4.

I have no idea whether it would fit on your rifle, but assuming that the recoil isn't heavy, I would consider putting a classic 9NT (discontinued) rechargeable model with a 3" diameter TurboHead reflector. The 9NT doesn't have a 1" diameter body though - it's thicker similar to the UltraStinger I guess.

Perhaps a "12PM" with either the SRTH 2.5" diameter reflector or a 3" diameter reflector is a possibility. With the N62 lamp (500Lu/12mins) the beam is about as bright and tight as SureFire have ever made. The 9NT can still be found (or 9N and T3 TurboHead) if you search online for retailers or ask here on CPF.

I personally don't think there is a flashlight of the same size and power of the M4 that throws much further and is more suitable for weapon-mounting

Al

RevDavid

Enlightened
You might be able to modify the light with a small fresnel on the front of the light... it will tighten the beam and increase throw, but the effect will vary depending on distance. You would have to play with it a little to see how it works at the ranges you need.

David <><

G45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for the replies! I would like to get a hold of a 12PM with the 2 1/2 diameter. If anyone knows who may be offering one for sale - I am interested. I would have to have a special bracket made to hold a 3" dia. Would it be worth the effort? I saw the posting of using the N62 bulb in my M4 - sounds good - now if I could just get the beam smaller.

G45

Newly Enlightened
Doing some night hunting for varmints and depredation (wild pigs). Many shots are at 75yds to 100yds. (The shots under 75yds are very easily seen) Past 75-100 yds is where the standard M4 starts to fade out in light brush / weeds. I think the brushy obstructions bounce back a certain amount of light and you can't see that well. I have excellent high end optics - just old eyes. In open areas it is fine. Thanks for asking...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feral pigs have been a big problem in my area. Up in the mountains around homes they dig up everything. I was hiking a year ago in a park just outside city limits. I had a family of five on the trail ahead of me about 15 yards away. Daddy was a big old porker with curvy tusks and must have weighed in at 250 pounds, maybe more. He stood guard while the rest of them crossed the trail in front of me. There was another adult and three little ones. I had no intentions of bothering them.....

GregR