Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iTP EOS A3

Unenlightened

Default iTP EOS A3

hello, im new to the forum. i plan on getting a itp eos a3 as a keyring torch, i have done a search and people say they look well made, but would like to know how they hold up long term. also could someone post a picture of itp eos a3 and maglite solitaire side by side so i can get a better idea of size please. thank you

Default Re: iTP EOS A3

Its smaller by a good bit. The gold color will probably hide scratches better than the black ones.

These lights simply rock , and now come with R5's . Get the stainless one if worried about scratching, a very high value lil light.
    Q6600@3.6 / 4GB Patriot / Sapphire 6850 / WDBLK 1TB

Unenlightened

thanks for the info srfreddy and akwolf glad too hear the a3 is smaller. not too worried about scratches, more about the threads wearing out, torch constantly switching its self on and it generally just breaking.

I've had the ITP EO3 on my keychain for about a month now. It's held up nicely, no significant dings or scratches on it. I havent had the light turn on in my pocket, i twist it so it cant be activated by any movement (pushed down or sideways). Overall i think its a nice upgrade from the Fenix EO1 i had on my keychain because of the options to change output levels (and you can find them for around $20!)

The A3 is a great little light. I've had one on my keyring for about 3 months now. It has held up great, and puts out a good amount of light for such a small thing. You shouldn't have issues with it turning on unexpectedly. I count 5 full turns to remove the head. I leave mine off by about a 1/2 turn and haven't had any problems with the light coming on, or the head coming loose.

I've dropped my keys a few times and it's still going strong. Just yesterday a coworker tried to toss my keys to me in the parking lot and he missed. The light hit the pavement pretty good, but still works good as new.

Great light for $20

After my Solitaire got as bit long in the tooth, I got me a ITP and some others some months ago.

It is significantly smaller than the Solitaire and also significantly brighter. The three modes are perfect for my use, nice flawless and neutral beam.

It scratches easily, I would reckon as much as the Solitaire. But why bother

I also have/had an LED upgrade for the Solitaire, Fenix E01, LiteXpress 101 and LED-Lensers V8 & P2. The ITP wins pretty in much all aspects except scratch resistance

Unenlightened

thanks guys just ordered one

Great light for the price!!!

Makes a great cap light too! Just reverse the snap-on clip that comes with it. The XP-G R5 version has a perfect sequence for me. First setting is low, next is medium, then high.

I Have the A3 stainless for almost a year until I lost it early this year, I really love that light and i even would say its a better deal than my current key chain the LD01 SS.
    IAN2381
    Surefire C2, Surefire Z2/Zebralight H51/DQG AA SS NW/T10/RC-G2/TANK 501 SS/Ultrafire A30B NW XML/Solarforce L2T/Akoray K-106/Fenix E01.....

Long-term? I'm assuming you want something that is bullet-proof tough. That's one thing the A3 is not. Thin metal. You want tough? Go with a Fenix LD01 or 4sevens ReVo. I have an A3. I like it. But it's only $20. The cost cutting comes in the use of thin metal construction. Fine for daily use. Long-term use? Not likely at all.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

get a fenix e01 if you want tough.

I'd agree with Monocrom's statement. I have an ITP on the key ring and the body is thin, but so far it's still working (had it for about 5 months).

The Revo is anything but tough. One hard drop on its bottom and it stops working.

I have had one for about 3 months and it is an awesome little light. Dont forget you can run a 10440 Li-ion in it to basically double its 80 rated lumens. Be advised to not leave it on for to long as it will tend to heat up.

I put an ITP A3 head on a StreamLight MicroStream body so I can use the tail cap. There is plenty of info about how to do this if you are interested. I also run mine occasionally on a 10440 but mostly on an Eneloop. This makes a wonderful EDC light.

jonblack

Unenlightened

thanks for the replies guys. by long term i meant will it last a year, it doesnt have to be bullet proof just not fall apart after a month or two. i had a look at the fenix e01 and e05 but wanted something with more power as i found my 15 lumen solitaire fell way short of what i needed sometimes.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by rab1985 View Post
    thanks for the replies guys. by long term i meant will it last a year
    I've had mine on my keychain for well over a year (almost 2 now?). The finish is chipped a little, but the light still functions just like when it was new. No problems whatsoever.

--flatline

thanks for the replies guys. by long term i meant will it last a year, it doesnt have to be bullet proof just not fall apart after a month or two. i had a look at the fenix e01 and e05 but wanted something with more power as i found my 15 lumen solitaire fell way short of what i needed sometimes.
    It may last you years, or if you're not careful, it can die in a few weeks. It's a good light, but it wasn't build for toughness. Just don't drop it to much and it will be fine. There was a thread on the A3 before the crash where scout24 did some winter torture testing on it. The repeated drops were what killed it.

Enlightened

used it almost 8 months with regular wear and tear bumping into other keys and metal objects...no probs so far

Quote Originally Posted by enki_ck View Post
    It may last you years, or if you're not careful, it can die in a few weeks. It's a good light, but it wasn't build for toughness. Just don't drop it to much and it will be fine. There was a thread on the A3 before the crash where scout24 did some winter torture testing on it. The repeated drops were what killed it.
    So was LD01 and LD05 tested in exactly the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
    Makes a great cap light too! Just reverse the snap-on clip that comes with it. The XP-G R5 version has a perfect sequence for me. First setting is low, next is medium, then high.
    Good to know, maybe I should stock up on the Q5 models since L-M-H is useless for gifting.

I've had mine for over a year now and no problems what so ever. The spit-ring is a bit weak though, my A3 fell off my keychain because of it and fell down at least three meters and landed on a concrete floor. The light was fine (but the eneloop inside it lost some paint).

I didn't find a suitable replacement for the split-ring yet (but I didn't look very hard).
    Last edited by mfm; 03-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfm View Post
    So was LD01 and LD05 tested in exactly the same way?
    No, one thread was on the Fenix E01, and the other on the Fenix E05 and ITP A3 EOS. Here is the link to the google cache

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=www.google.hr

The E01 thread which was much more brutal isn't available anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by enki_ck View Post
    No, one thread was on the Fenix E01, and the other on the Fenix E05 and ITP A3 EOS. Here is the link to the google cache

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=www.google.hr

The E01 thread which was much more brutal isn't available anymore.
    Thanks for the link.

If this is the only source of information for everyone in this thread that claims the A3 is not durable then there are a lot of unsubstantiated claims beeing made.

In particular, why would the "thin tube" matter at all? A thicker tube doesn't protect from impact/shock damage, only from crush damage (and who crushed their A3 yet?).

The main problem with the ITP have been contact issues. Not crush damage.

Flashaholic*

I didn't find a suitable replacement for the split-ring yet (but I didn't look very hard).
    I replaced mine with a loop of 80lb test braided fishing line. Works great. Been in use for over a year and hasn't frayed at all.

--flatline

Quote Originally Posted by jonblack View Post
    I put an ITP A3 head on a StreamLight MicroStream body so I can use the tail cap. There is plenty of info about how to do this if you are interested. I also run mine occasionally on a 10440 but mostly on an Eneloop. This makes a wonderful EDC light.

jonblack
    great lego!

If ur afraid of the thin metal then go for the Stainless version for less than 30 dollars, the additional weight is negligble due to small size of the light. for thoughness nothing can beat the Fenix E01, I could surely say that most high output AAA lights will fail in the same test done to the E01 (where in the A3 and E05 failed). For normal usage and drops the A3 stainless steel will able to last. dropped mine several times from concrete to marble floor and it survived, I just lost the light. I still have a titanium version.
    IAN2381
    Surefire C2, Surefire Z2/Zebralight H51/DQG AA SS NW/T10/RC-G2/TANK 501 SS/Ultrafire A30B NW XML/Solarforce L2T/Akoray K-106/Fenix E01.....

I've had mine for over a year now and no problems what so ever. The spit-ring is a bit weak though, my A3 fell off my keychain because of it and fell down at least three meters and landed on a concrete floor. The light was fine (but the eneloop inside it lost some paint).

Hey mfm,

Check out Berkeley Point for a nice selection of stainless and titanium split rings. (And lots of other handy items!)

As far the the A3 goes, I've had one on my keyring for about 7 months now and it seems to take all kinds of abuse and just keeps working fine. I expected it to show more scratches by now (it's black) but the finish has held up better than expected. So far all the talk about the thinness of the body has been a non issue.
    Last edited by EZO; 03-13-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typo

You can easily make your new iTP A3 into the world's brightest AAA light by using a Li-ion 10440 battery. Here's a chart (from BigChelis) showing that it actually is over 300 lumens for a short period! (yes, this is a Preon1, but same XP-G R5 emitter as iTP)

For your iTP EOS A3, be sure to order the XP-G R5 emitter. I would also be sure to ask for the 'upgrade' model, which is 3 modes (lo med hi).

My EDC is a SS iTP A3 XP-G R5 'upgrade' with a 10440 battery. Lately, I have been giving away the iTP A3 XP-G R5 'Upgrade' like candy. I must have doled out at least 20 of those lights in the past few months. Gave away two iTP A3's just today. Just ordered four more last night (from GoingGear, with free shipping and 10% discount - using the CPF code).

Have fun with your iTP A3, they are great little lights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast