VanIsleDSM's AMAZING Septa and other Drop Ins - a 'mini review' - photo heavy!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I ask myself, "why spend so much time taking photos and writing reviews?" Then I remember the enjoyment I get doing it, the hope that it helps someone and how much I learn while doing the reviews. I'm just an enthusiast who enjoys the hobby and being able to hopefully give something back to this community that we are all a part of!

But then a gifted custom builder comes along and says, "Hey Dan – wanna test some of my new stuff??" And I say, "uh, lemme think about it for a nanosecond – YES!!"

Such an opportunity recently came when VanIsleDSM offered to send a few of his 'little friends' down to DC for some "real world" testing. I must say at the outset - the Septa is so powerful that I don't believe there is a way to adequately represent what the eye sees when you fire that monster up. To make matters worse, the weather wouldn't cooperate so that I could take any good beam shots.

Still, these products are amazing! So before you start viewing the photos below, you might want to put a towel in your lap – or maybe even a bib if you have one handy! You'll need something to catch the drool!

You are probably familiar with this – the FETtie switch. Later in the review you'll see what a difference this little piece of magic makes when we start dealing in amperages near double digit…

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

Next up, the aluminum, 2 mode 4.2 amp quad with Khatod optic…you are probably familiar with this one!
IMG_4808.JPG

The plot thickens – here is one heckuva jewel…the 5.6 amp quad, silver and copper, with Khatod optic. As you'll see later, it's quite a blaster!
IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

Ooo-now it really gets fun. This is a monster – the 5.6 amp quad, silver and copper, with two different optics. Jesse conveniently supplied gloves for me to wear when changing the optics. Note the description of the optics on the bags.
IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

And now – drum roll please – a beautiful beast – the 9.8 amp (!!), 7 XPG R5 monster head Jesse has named, "Septa". Wow.

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4798.JPG

Here is the Septa mounted on a FiveMega 26650 host – Jesse's FETtie switch is installed…this combination makes for an awesome 'chunk' of a light, solid as a rock, bright as the sun!
IMG_4819.JPG

IMG_4820.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

A fellow DC resident, Gary123, heard that I was testing these lights and wanted to contribute – he kindly sent a Surefire C2 host with Oveready Zero Res Twisty and a 3 level VIDSM 5.6 quad, plus a Leef 2 18500 cell body with a Moddoo single level triple.

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4924.JPG

It's been quite the winter in DC – I've tried to work around life and weather to get some outdoor beam shots – and the one night that I was finally set up to take some, after only 3 good photos it started raining. Fortunately, I started with the Septa. In the shots below, the corner of the fence in the foreground is about 22 feet away – the tree immediately behind is about 30 feet away. The tree lurking way in the background is at least 100 feet away. If you look at the control shot, you can see that there isn't that much light pollution in the background. My theory as to why the background took on a 'red' hue? With long exposures, and that many photons blasting away, it even exposed the background!
IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

Sorry – I wish more could be included, but the review isn't over yet! Next are results from some lumen testing. I've said it many times – I do not claim absolute accuracy for my sphere, but relative ratings are not disputable. Prepare to be amazed.
0001wj.jpg

Interesting the way the (very nice and respected ) Kerberos quad reacted to the FETtie. Speculate that the direct drive Quad is reacting to the large amount of current being passed by the FETtie, heating up, and losing lumens to heat. But look at the VI devices!

Next, I constructed another one of my poster board grids…the numbers are inches. The lights are held about a meter from the board – I'm using a wide angle lens – 1/100 shutter speed, f/4.0, ISO100. NO retouching of the photos – I've also posted a YouTube video so you can get a more fluid visual comparison.

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

(sorry for the typo - it's "Khatod"
IMG_4891.JPG

Khatod
IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4893.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG

IMG_4918.JPG

These shots include many very common lights (and some not so common) so that you can have a good point of reference. As you'll notice, the Septa is so darn bright that it just can't be tamed!

We are fortunate to be part of a community that includes so many gifted custom builders and modders. McGizmo, Data, Moddoo, ElectronGuru, Photonfanatic, Milky, Mac, Kerberos, Download, Elektrolumens, DatiLED, on and on (sorry if I left your favorite out of the list!!) How cool is it to add VanIsleDSM to this list!

VanIsleDSM's (Jesse's) work is outstanding. The quality is rock solid. The Septa is built like a tank – almost as though it is carved from a single piece of metal - a darn bright piece of metal. When you start dumping that much electrical current through a flashlight, you really begin to appreciate the difference the FETtie switch makes. Not only is it solid, it allows so much current to flow that you'd better be sure the light engine can handle it! The drop-in modules are astounding – the 5.6 silver/copper carclo and khadod modules are awesome.

But - that Septa!! I don't know how to describe it. One of my favorite testing areas is a dark stretch of 'back road' here in Northern Virginia. Along one section is a soccer field. I use most lights to shine 'over' the field to a stretch of wooded area that borders the backside of the field, looking to spot the critters that hang out there. With the Septa, I was lighting up HALF of the field and ALL of the woodline behind it!! Think about carrying your headlights…that's what it is like. And it's so well made that it is almost as bright after a full minute of use as it is at turn on.

The other drop in modules are awesome, too.

Jesse is a super nice guy, too. Here's a young man who is going down the entrepreneurial road – taking his ideas and skills and turning them into awesome products. I believe that this community will embrace his products with the same enthusiasm as we have embraced the other custom builders.

So, as the automobile writer who gets to keep a Ferrari for a week is sad to see it go, so am I sad to see these 4 custom light engines go. But I'm sure that I, like you, will be saving up the pennies to add at least one of them to my collection – permanently!

Last edited:

ronac

Enlightened
Awesome review! I've been eyeing a VanIsleDSM Quad for a while now. I'd be curious to see how a 5.6A aluminum one compares to the 5.6A silver/copper since its quite the premium for the exotic materials.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review and especially the comparison beam shots.....always great whether analytically correct or not !
Thank you! Analytically correct? Enthusiastically reviewed...not "analyzed!";)

Thanks for the review!! I am awaiting my R5 Quad 5.6A copper from Jessie, with fetTIE, or whatever its called. :D
FETtie, it is! :thumbsup:

How much does VanIsleDSM's AMAZING Septa drop in cost and when will it be available?
Gonna leave that to VIDSM - although his original post about this light included pricing. However, those posts were a casualty of the CPF problems of a week ago.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Once again, many thanks for another fantastically comprehensive and time-consuming review, complete with outstanding beam-shots and illustrative assistance to demonstrate the beam distribution.
Not to mention all the output ratings over time with different combinations.
I wouldn't like to think how long it took you, but its much appreciated.

The Septa looks awesome! :thumbsup:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review as usual - I recently received my 5.6A Silver/Copper VanIsleDSM Quad - my new favorite. Without doing much of any side by side comparisons (I'm in the process of moving back to my house - getting re-employed in Cincinnati area) but from memory of use of the Moddoo Triples vs Jesse's quad - the Oveready/Moddoo triple gives a BIG spot, very little spill. The Quad gives a BIG spot with some spill. In terms of throw I cannot comment as these are observations from real life use inside an industrial facility. I often pair it with an Oveready M2-50 which gives a relatively tight spot - in case I want to point something out to someone.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, run4jc!

It is reviews like this that make CPF a great place to visit.

:thumbsup:

LichtAn!

Enlightened
Great to see real comparable numbers on these top notch drop-ins! Many thanks run4jc! Though I'd love to see some beamshots with a bit more distance.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - and I would have love to have done some more / longer distance beam photos! Still, these lights are incredibly powerful AND floody, so you can get a good idea from closer shots...

Great to see real comparable numbers on these top notch drop-ins! Many thanks run4jc! Though I'd love to see some beamshots with a bit more distance.