A few questions regarding a new Nitecore D11

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I have just ordered my first piston-drive light, a Nitecore D11 with Cree XP-G R5 LED, and I have a few questions:

I was wondering if there is any additional maintenance that needs to be done for a piston-drive light.

Will this light perform well with a protected AW 14500? Are there any concerns running for extended periods of time on high on one of these li-ions?

:thanks:

rich297

Newly Enlightened
I own a D11 and am quite happy with it. The piston drive doesn't require any special maintenance but an occasional lubing of the O-ring that's located at the top of the piston will help ensure smooth operation. I use an Ultrafire 14500 cell and find it works well. Noticeably brighter than a primary AA and no heat issues that I've noticed although I've never operated the light in high mode for long periods.

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
When i use 14500 on Maximum mode, my d11 it got hot very quick +/- around 5 - 7 minute.

Just a note, temperature where i live is between 26 - 28 degree Celsius, maybe if you live in lower temperature it might be won't get hot quickly.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
Do you know offhand if the Ultafire's are shorter than the AW cells?

Sorry, I don't. The problem with these rechargeable cells is that they are not all the same length. There may be as many as a dozen different cells sold as the same size (ie. 16340,14500,18650, etc) yet the actual length varies plus or minus 2 or 3mm. This can result in compatability problems with certain lights. I believe piston drive lights may be less forgiving of cell size variations because of their relatively short travel distance compared to a clicky switch. If your battery is a bit too long, that could prevent the end of the piston from making contact with the metal spring-loaded disk surrounding the light engine.

Have you compared the length of the AW to a primary alkaline cell? My Ultrafire appears to be the same length as a Duracell alkaline.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
My piston drive will not work with a protected AW 14500 cell. Are you running an unprotected cell?

The AW 14500 should work fine if you shorten the piston spring. Try visiting this CPF link and start reading at post #221, that's where the meat and potatoes begin. Yes, your emitter will generate more heat using the 14500. If you're going to run it on high for an extended period of time grip the D11 in a manner so your hand absorbs the heat. If you should happen to run the light long enough to make your hand uncomfortable it's time to turn the light down or off so it can cool.