Power has been out since 1:00 am last night.

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Well, hurricane Isabel gave me a reason to use my flashlight. I live in the south-central portion of PA, and our power went out last night (it's still out). This morning I had to shower, shave, and get dressed for work all by flashlight. Worked out okay, but now I want one of those cool LED lanterns!

onelight

Enlightened
The LED lanterns do look nice .Another option that might help is the NiteIze nomad LITE-HOLSTER, it is the one that has the reflector built in the flap it does make a decent area light( using LS with 2AA pak )it also has a place to carry 2 more batteries, from a local dealer here in OKC they are $6.59 They appear to be good quality for the price.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gadgetnut,

I live in a place where the power is lost at the slightest aggravation. But, strangely enough, although I had some flickers during the evening, I never lost power. I watched the maps of the storm's progress and was delighted to see that the bands of wind and showers passing through were always either north or south of me by about 30 miles.

Regarding the LED lanterns, I never had any interest in them. But when my lights began flickering, I started have serious thoughts about owning one of those lanterns.

Paul

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isabel left some wind damage in the Cleveland, Ohio area: some trees down and such, plus up to 3 inches of rain. We got some rain and a bit of wind here in Mansfield, Ohio from Isabel.

I see the Cheseapeake Bay decided to take a tour of parts of Baltimore, MD, and Washington, D.C. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
Try using a clear film container on the head of the ArcLS. That's a simple, yet pretty effective way to make a useful area light...

Chris

ChrisA

Enlightened
No, not at all... The body will provide more than enough surface to get rid of the heat. I'll try to make some pictures of my light. May take some minutes though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris

ChrisA

Enlightened
Okay, here we go...

First picture - unmodified ArcSLS hybrid

fb0b7124.jpg

Second picture - clear film container

fb0b7122.jpg

Third one - lantern mode (with accidential flash)

fb0b711f.jpg

Fourth - no flash this time (green is from camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

fb0b70b3.jpg

Same target as in first pic but with container on

fb0b70ab.jpg

Distance to target was around 1.5 meters. Hope that helps...

Chris

imgadgetman2

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Maryland and was hoping my electricity would go out. It did for 2-3 minutes. Then, about 11 am it did again, but for about an hour. While I showered, I was able to finally send my L4 into direct drive mode. After about 20-30 minutes it was still as bright as my E1/KL1. I took one of the batteries out of the L4 and put it into the E1/KL1 and it wouldn't light at all. It barely glowed in my arc sls. 2 things, my L4 will be great for using up the last juice in 123 batteries, and some people have all the luck; there electricity goes out for extended time at night!
imgadgetman/2