Looking for a multipurpose thrower

alfa

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, as the title says, I'm looking for a multipurpose thrower.

Now I explain what I'm searching, with a little introduction. I've got a sail boat, about 10m (33 feet) long. During summer, I love to anchor outside the harbor and where there is no trace of civilization. So I need a thrower who can reach 200 meters but has a multilevel UI, have the option of a diffuser to enlighten the boat and have a good autonomy at the medium-low level.

And that can be fed with primary batteries, as well as rechargeables.

I think the right choose is the EagleTac M3C4 xm-l, but I want to valuate other option before the purchase!

Ps: sorry for my english!

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey there, I too have been considering the eagletac m3c4 xm-l. I first started off looking at the tk15, then ld40, then ta21, then back to ld40, then back to tk15, then to the Armytek predator (until i saw the price), the the Xeno g42, then the tk35, then the tk40, then when i saw the Eagletac, I was like, wow, it looks aggressive, which i like, has many accessories, diffuser, and a clicky. And my favorite UI, the ring. Then, at the reviews, I noticed it had ~40,000 lux!!! A 20 watt hid has only 50-60K of lux, and on 4-6 18650!!! I don't have it yet, but i hope to get it by my birthday. Really, the only other competitor is the catapult v2 xm-l, but it only has about 3K of lux more, which isn't at most noticable. Plus, it doesn't have low modes, or a holster, or a diffuser, and it is more expensive. I'm sure i'll like my ET when i get it. Just pointing these things out, if you want more, go HID. The ET however, will meet and exceed your 200 meter range, and your multi-mode versatility with also, a versitle beam pattern with the diffuser.

JeffInChi

Enlightened

alfa

Newly Enlightened
I don't like too much the Catapult because, like other flashlights in the same class, is too long for me (personal opinion). I would appreciate the ET also for this fact, it's more compact than other. But I want the flip-out diffuser! ;)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being in Italy, you may only want to buy once...that being said, the Surefire M3LT with diffuser. You can get one pretty cheap (relatively speaking) on the Marketplace. Just post in the WTB. Plus, it might/should be able to handle a little more abuse.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went through this same decision in January, and had a long thread on here somewhere (before the crash.) I was considering the Olight M3x, Olight M31, Catapult V3, Fenix TK35, and the EagleTac M3C4. I went with the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L, and have really loved this light.

The Olights & Catapult didn't have enough output options for my uses, so it came down to the Fenix & the EagleTac. I wanted a dedicated thrower, and the EagleTac throws a lot further than the Fenix. Also, the EagleTac has an incredibly useful diffuser cap that simply screws onto the end. This is a very versitile light with 5 output levels - 5, 65, 192, 404, and 748 ANSI Lumens.

Get the EagleTac; it fits perfectly for your uses.

alfa

Newly Enlightened
Mmmmm, I have never minded the M3LT before, I'll search on the market, I like this idea!

BTW, news about the Invictus? It will be nice for my use, at part the budget...

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
No news on the Invictus...The M3LT is quickly becoming my most used light though, as the 70 lumens (closer to 100) is perfect for alot of out doors stuff, and then there's that 400 (closer to 500) lumen blast when needed, for bringing your boat in. Plus, it pretty water-proof, and can take a good splash. I think it can be run on two 17650's??? Not sure of the size, but I read a member running it on two RC cells with-out over powering it.

Lignano is nice this time of year, BTW!

Oh, you amy wnt to consider the Strobe model (M3LT-S) for signalling purposes (attention getter), in case you forget S.O.S.

Last edited:

alfa

Newly Enlightened
Strobe is not necessary, I've alredy got a flashlight with SOS and the emergency equipment of the boat is more effective than a torch...

I can wait some months to see if we will have news on the Invictus, it is very interesting!

What about the M1X?

@angelofwar: have you been to Lignano? It's near my town!

fnsooner

Enlightened
I went through this same decision in January, and had a long thread on here somewhere (before the crash.) I was considering the Olight M3x, Olight M31, Catapult V3, Fenix TK35, and the EagleTac M3C4. I went with the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L, and have really loved this light.

The Olights & Catapult didn't have enough output options for my uses, so it came down to the Fenix & the EagleTac. I wanted a dedicated thrower, and the EagleTac throws a lot further than the Fenix. Also, the EagleTac has an incredibly useful diffuser cap that simply screws onto the end. This is a very versitile light with 5 output levels - 5, 65, 192, 404, and 748 ANSI Lumens.

Get the EagleTac; it fits perfectly for your uses.

This sums up my sentiments. I am very happy with the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L and like it more everyday.

firelord777

Enlightened
The TK41, when released, will out throw both catapult, and ET, and have longer runtime as well. Look at the pics on FONARIK. The TK41 is beast!!! And it has a lower mode than ET. But, I am not sure now. I kinda want the Armytek now, so I'm undecicive about the TK41 or Armytek. any opinions? just please don't hijack this thread. So yes. TK41 is cheaper and will out throw the ET, but in terms of light itself, it is completely different. 8 AA batteries and only lanyard and o rings come with it.

alfa

Newly Enlightened
And the new m3c4 triple xm-l? It has over one thousands (!!!) Ansi lumens, and a good throw...if released also in neutral, I'll fall in love ;)