My Torch Lab Tri-XPG needed a suitably awesome host...

fyrstormer

Banned
...so I dang well got one.

CIMG4700.jpg

CIMG4701.jpg

CIMG4702.jpg

CIMG4710.jpg

The host is a limited-edition Lumens Factory Seraph SP-6 Ti, fitted with a Torch Lab Tri-XPG 3-mode neutral drop-in and a Torch Lab McClicky switch kit. It took a bit of work to get the electrical connections solid enough, primarily because the switch and the drop-in both have very stiff springs, but it was worth the effort. This is a great light.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. Just plain awesome. I confess that I have become somewhat 'content' of late - nothing much makes me take notice or, dare I say, "lust" for a new light. This is the first one I've seen in a while that made me pause. Beautiful!! :drool::twothumbs:rock::bow::clap:

Update. I just ordered one. this is the first light I've seen in a while that made me want to spend $$. As usual, Fyrstormer influences me, and that's a great thing!

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
There were two things I had to do to get it working just right. First of all, the drop-in chamber is longer than Surefire spec and the Tri-XPG doesn't have a negative contact spring, so I had to use a 140-watt soldering iron to add two solder blobs to the brass ring on the back of the Tri-XPG so it would contact the bottom of the drop-in chamber. (the super-hot soldering iron was necessary to overcome the Tri-XPG's substantial thermal mass so the solder would actually melt and stick.)

The second thing I had to do was to superglue the McClicky switch into the brass ring that holds it in place, because the spring pressure was strong enough to push the switch away from the ring just enough to break the electrical contact between the switch and the ring. (it seems like tightening the ring more should solve this problem, but it actually didn't; I couldn't get a tight enough grip on the tailcap to tighten the brass ring enough to eliminate the problem completely.)

It's worth noting that the electrical connectivity problem is one that exists only because I wanted to use a Tri-XPG drop-in and a McClicky switch. If I'd left the stock switch in place, I wouldn't have needed to glue anything, and if I'd used a different drop-in that came with a negative contact spring, I wouldn't have needed to solder anything. So it's partly my fault for speccing parts I knew wouldn't be 100% plug-n-play. The host, in stock form, is a delightful chunk of titanium and works fine without fussing.

Latest posts