NiteCore EZ AA R5 fake or clone

picree

Newly Enlightened
I have two NiteCore flashlights I bought online (I won't name the retailer for fear of being pounced on by the moderator) but suffice it to say it was a reputable merchant. One looks like all the others I have seen online. It is a nice gun metal gray and the font of the logo matches everything I have seen (on right in photo). The other one has a font that looks different and the flashlight is black not gray (on the left in the photo).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33838690@N07/5523204589/

Does anyone know if NiteCore made any of these in black? Does anyone know of any clones or knockoffs? Are they both legit?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i have an EZ AAw when it was first introduced. Not sure what the LED is. But it came out only in black back then. I have other nitecores and they are grey color though.

JJ

PCS

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to take a wild guess here...

I read recently the company that owns Jetbeam recently purchased Nitecore (or vise versa). I'm new to the hobby, but I've noticed products from the to companies bear a resemble to each other.

picree

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to take a wild guess here...

I read recently the company that owns Jetbeam recently purchased Nitecore (or vise versa). I'm new to the hobby, but I've noticed products from the to companies bear a resemble to each other.

Well, maybe but they are both labeled as a NiteCore (see photo I linked to).

picree

Newly Enlightened
The one on the left exactly looks like the new re-branded Nitecore. You have received it from the new stock, mostly.

Thanks. If true it's too bad 'cause I think the gun-metal gray one is sharper...note that the one in all the photos on their site is actually the older one with the brass band around the twisty head. Even on the old one though they show the font as "NiteCore" and not "NITECORE".

I'm also awaiting a reply from NiteCore...if I hear differently I will post here but I've read they are sometimes very slow to reply.

picree

Newly Enlightened
I did hear back from NiteCore (fairly quickly too :)). They confirmed both models were indeed genuine. From the way the email was worded I couldn't tell which one was the latest design though...based upon choombak it would be the black one.

Thanks for the help and comments.