Ronac's Cryos Bezel: First Impressions

Darvis

Enlightened
Hey all,

I recently purchased one of Ronac's Cryos Cooling Bezels and wanted to share my initial impressions about it, especially for those looking at picking one up for themselves.

My disclaimer is as follows: I bought this bezel with my own money, for my own use. All of my "tests" are done without the aid of any measuring devices, so obviously, my impressions are subjective. So here we go…

Fit and Finish: The Bezel I purchased was the HAIII black version; it's a somewhat glossy
finish but not quite as shiny as the 6P HAII glossy black. It's incredible smooth, almost silky to the touch.

The bezel itself appears to have sharp edges when first viewed in pictures, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it has absolutely no sharp edges whatsoever. Ron has noted in his sales thread that they are tumbled before finish, and it pays off. You can carry this one in your coat pocket and not have to re-line it a week later!

One of the best features is the 2mm overlap where the bezel and host mate; this eliminates any gaps when using this with some of the slightly oversized drop-ins (think Malkoff). The tolerance is very tight; I could not even slip a piece of paper in between the bezel and host once screwed down. Be mindful of the fact that this may also interfere with the clip on a C2 host, so it's clip off is using this rig.
I ordered mine through Oveready and had it finished off with a Pyrex bezel and one of the smooth black bezel rings. Any of the Oveready bezel ring offerings work, so smooth or crenellated, it's up to you. The plain old Surefire plastic ring works as well.
I tried the fit on multiple hosts: The Oveready Moddoolar, 6P, C2, solarforce and it worked with all of them. Same thing with my Malkoff drop-ins, standard Surefire drop-ins, and a bunch of custom Quads… all fit with no gap!!

So how did it work?

2 main points to keep in mind about the design as stated inthe specs:

1. 40% increase in surface area compared to conventional (unfinned) heads,
2. Improves heat dissipation via both convection and radiation.

Can I prove that this is true? No. Do I think this stuff does what it says it does? Heck yeah..

Here's what I did:

I have a VANisledsm 5.6 quad that also happens to be a massive heat generator, so much so, that I have only been able to run it for about 4-5 minutes at a time due to the C2 rig I have it in getting painfully hot. When I run this thing with the stock Z44 bezel, what happens is that the Quad (which has an incredibly tight fit AND arctic silver thermal paste between it and the host), instantly transfers all of that heat right to the host, and to my hand in a hurry. The Bezel itself becomes dangerously hot as well, to the point where if I touch it, it burns.

Now, I'm not claiming that the Cryos bezel gained me hours of runtime here, but it did make a very perceptible difference. What I noticed right away was that instead of a full on transfer of heat to my hand within 2-3 minutes, I instead felt more of a
gradual build up of heat down the battery tube. Now, it still got uncomfortably hot after some time, but not as fast. My tolerable runtime went up by about 2-3 more minutes… which is a lot given the shear amount of light these quads put out. 4-5 minutes vs. about 8 with the Cryos head. It was definitely doing its thing

The other major thing I noticed was that I could touch the bezel, indeed, wrap my hand around it, as the outer parts of the fins were not hot!! Take that flat old bezel!!!

All that and I also believe that with the right set up, say 2x18650, the Cryos bezel will also tenderize meats (Handy for camping).

Seriously, I feel this thing does what it says it can do. I also did some Malkoff M91 runs with it and was also able to hold the bezel in my hand, even with the host being very hot to the touch.

It's also a GREAT looking Bezel, just the right blend of beefy, but not overdone

12634n5.jpg

I like it so much, that I aim to buy more… at least one for every serious quad in my collection and the M91.

Great work Ron!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Thanks guys!

PSM, I sure hope it fits... all that copper and this head, you could run just about anything in that. If you picked up the extender, I think think the M91 would be the shiz in that rig. It definitely heats up, but not like a quad, and with all that copper and the cooling fins, you could run that thing forever. With the M91, it's not so much that I'm worried about the drop in getting too hot, it's the dang host that gets uncomfortable!!

Anyway, seriously try some Z44 side by sides with this bezel and you'll see what I mean about the fins!

Sure wish I knew about that warranty discalimer before I went at those steaks... doh!

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how well this head would work on a G2/3? The heat has to travel through the reflector from the pill before it can reach the head since the only metal contact it would have is at the end of the reflector. The metal sleeve inside the light would be worthless for extracting heat from the LED/pill.

ronac

Enlightened
It'll fit on the G2 but the Nitrolon bodies really shouldn't be used for high powered drop ins. I'm sure that using this head won't be any worse than it is now, but it won't be as effective as it could be on an aluminum host.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have two on the way for my DD Kerberos quad and for my 5.6 Amp Van quad..... can't wait because as you say the quads do heat up!

Darvis

Enlightened
Stoli,

I'll be interested to hear your before and after impressions with the VIDSM quad as well...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I have a Nat and Black on the way. Natural is going on my Copper FM 1x26650 w/ VIQ 5.6 copper R5.

Black is gonna house the M91, I was on Oveready this AM and saw a bored 9P w/ custom HA III Black, couldnt resist. :D

red_hackle

Enlightened
Received my (first) shipment of Cryos goodness today and thought I share some pictures... I reckon I have found the ultimate setup for my Z2.

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

BTW: When installing the lens and bezel ring I noticed that some of the factory O-rings normally placed under the lens before tightening down the bezel ring are about 2mm thick. Inserting one of these into the head before inserting the drop-in (like you would insert the Malkoff fitting ring in a M2 head) allowed me to fully tighten down the bezel on my C2 with clip attached. Not the ideal solution as the small space between drop-in and lens very slightly reduces the spill and is probably detrimental to the head's cooling abilities, but works for me until I come up with a better solution. :thumbsup:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Some have complained that the 3 amp XM-L made by one of our best drop in makers drops to a lower mode relatively quickly (I think about 10 minutes?) due to heat. The obvious test would be to run the drop in in a stock SF head and in this finned version with the same charged battery and host to see if more runtime is obtained. So what we need is somebody who has one of the drop ins with that issue to try it in one of these heads and see how long it goes before it drops down to lower mode - right?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Posted this in the sales thread, thought I would paste it here too. :D

My Cryos cooling head is running a M91 on a Black Oveready Bored Custom Black HA III 9P, polished bezel ring,and a Oveready Triad stuffed with McGizmo 2 Stage guts. :cool:

614478037_photobucket_43148_.jpg

614478037_photobucket_43149_.jpg

Baby's got back. :naughty:
614478037_photobucket_43150_.jpg

red_hackle

Enlightened
When installing the lens and bezel ring I noticed that some of the factory O-rings normally placed under the lens before tightening down the bezel ring are about 2mm thick. Inserting one of these into the head before inserting the drop-in (like you would insert the Malkoff fitting ring in a M2 head) allowed me to fully tighten down the bezel on my C2 with clip attached. Not the ideal solution as the small space between drop-in and lens very slightly reduces the spill and is probably detrimental to the head's cooling abilities, but works for me until I come up with a better solution. :thumbsup:

A few pictures to illustrate the above... IMHO the Cryos looks fantastic on a C2 host and with the described fix the Malkoff DD P7 drop-in inside lights up nicely with only marginally diminished spill while the Cryos keeps it cool. :devil:

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
@Darvis,
Thanks for the very good and sensible review!

I've a black Cryos with Pyrex ex. Oveready somewhere over the Pacific; when it will get to Australia is anyones guess even though Sarah dispatches promptly (& I might add very securely), by the time it has done the rounds here, Customs, Aust. Post etc. the weeks can fly by.

I intend putting the Cryos on a Fivemega 2x18500 old style (round) body which should look pretty OK! And then another Pacific crossing for an M91, even an M91W. if it happens reasonably soon.

Q. Is there a noticable improvement in output with the UCL glass over the Pyrex? Mine will come with the Pyrex as that was all that was available at the time and I did want to snag one of the last couple; but will it be worthwhile ordering an UCL when they become available again?:confused:

Thanks Sparky.

Edit: 27th. April.

Cryos Bezel arrived safe and very well packed from Oveready (Thanks Sarah) and at the moment sits atop an old 6P. The fit and finish are quite superb, all the more reason to leave it on the Surefire, I guess. And, it looks 'Killer'.

The fit of the head over the S/F lip is unbelievable and the threads, clean as a whistle and as smooth as silk.

What I would like is a few more of these! In different colors, AFBA. I'm mightily impressed with the workmanship on these. Thanks Ronac. :goodjob:

Last edited:

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
A few pictures to illustrate the above... IMHO the Cryos looks fantastic on a C2 host and with the described fix the Malkoff DD P7 drop-in inside lights up nicely with only marginally diminished spill while the Cryos keeps it cool. :devil:

Nice pics. I quite agree, IMHO it looks best on a C2

:bumpit: I think that the Cryos head on a 6P body is the Ducks Guts. Thank you Ron! :)

I like your pic Sparky, but I just didnt like the look of it on my 6P. I love it however on my C2 and keeps my TorchLab triple cool-ish :)

DSC02162.jpg

DSC02095.jpg

Last edited: