1xAA or 1xCR123 Pocket Thrower for $50 and under?

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Back to my first post again. At least we are back online following the CPF 2011 crash thanks to all the hard work of the Admins.

In my last post, I asked about a value thrower ($65 and under). It was your expert advice that led me to the Solarforce Skyline I & II (Still not here from HK yet), as well as a few more amazing suggestions that will inevitably commandeer more greenbacks from my wallet. (Solarforce Masterpiece Pro, Ray X60, etc)

Now, while CFP was "in the shop" I acquired a few more lights. A Xeno F8 v6 (A Beautiful light), Solarforce Skyline I & II (Incoming), iTp EOS A2 & A3, 4Sevens Preon 2 (ti/black), a Turbo head for my Quark AA2 Tactical, a Fenix E01 (for the little sis) & a few more Streamlight Microstream/Stylus Pro's (Outgoing/Gifts)

It's a sickness, I know. But at least I'm among friends :)

Down to the business at hand. I want to get my room mate a "pocket rocket" for his birthday. Now, I don't want to spend a fortune on his gift so I'm putting a $50 cap on it. While doing a few lighting tests, he stated that he would want something that "throws a bunch of light downrange" but still fits in his jeans pocket. An EDC thrower of sorts.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

TheDuke

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
So far, the only thing that I have found in this category is the Lumintop L1C/L1A. Are there any lights comparable in this size/battery config?

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
How about a Streamlight PT1L? Doesn't have the latest/greatest emitter or a lot of features, but it's small, relatively inexpensive (under $40/free shipping from my favorite online bookstore), and it's a decent thrower, much better in this regard than most other 1 x CR123A lights. It does have two brightness levels and strobe, momentary on, all available from the forward clicky switch. No twisting or other manipulations needed. Don't let the seemingly low (110 lumens) rating fool you. If you want more throw than flood, this light will do better than a lot of lights with higher rated output. I have other small lights, most of them more expensive than the PT1L, but I carry this one the most.

cxg231

Newly Enlightened
In my last post, I asked about a value thrower ($65 and under). It was your expert advice that led me to the Solarforce Skyline I & II (Still not here from HK yet)

It was your last post that led to me buying a Solarforce Skyline I, also not here yet from HK. :)

For a pocket light, maybe check out the iTP SC2 Eluma. I wouldn't say it's a "thrower" in the sense that the optics give a decent amount of spill, but at 270 lumens on high, it puts a ton of light downrange for the size. $40 and easily carried in the pocket, even though it's a 2xCR123 (I EDC mine). The SC1, the 1xCR123 version puts out 230 lumens on high.

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
I should mention that although the head of the PT1L is small, the smooth, deep reflector does allow good throw. I think Streamlight did a good job in its design. It does have some rings as any smooth reflector will, but they aren't pronounced and aren't noticable at all in normal use.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lenlisght mini throws pretty good (its focusable), uses CR123, but it isn't in your price range (its around $160 new). The Quark Turbos are supposed to have good throw, but I don't know if you can get the 123 or single AA tube to lego together the light you are looking for. The Fenix PD20 uses a 123 battery and is around 60 bucks, not sure if it is a good thrower though.

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
@TyJo & gemurdock: I don't have any experience with Fenix lights ... I was under the impression that they are kinda outdated when it comes to emitters (i.e. Surefire) I could easily be wrong though.

@cxg231: The iTP SC1 Eluma looks pretty sweet ... How deep is the reflector on that one?

I thought about the Quark123 body with a turbo head but I don't know how well that will work/runtime/pocketability

Does anyone have experience with the Lumapower Incendio V3+/Trust-1, Terralux Lightstar, or the Sunwayman M10R?

JDest

Newly Enlightened
ITP SC1 R2 edition. Can be had for ~$35 right now from several CPF sellers. Still one of the best in the 1XCR123 class for throw when used with RCR. The R5 edition is also available (cxg231, I see you) but since it is in the same reflector, it's output difference won't match the throw of the R2. See Selfbuilt's review for some solid throw comparison numbers to the 1XCR123's.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding Fenix is at the top when it comes to using cutting edge emitters, the PD20 uses the Cree XPG R5, which isn't outdated as far as I know. Not sure if the PD20 is a thrower or if it can safely use rechargeables.

tdoom15

Newly Enlightened
definitely the sc1 or l1c in that price range. Both have their pros and cons..l1c is a little nicer, better clip for carry, more body options...sc1 nice UI, not so great clip, r2 or r5, and cheaper....dont forget your cpf dicounts.

cxg231

Newly Enlightened
@cxg231: The iTP SC1 Eluma looks pretty sweet ... How deep is the reflector on that one?

As far as I can tell the head isn't removable, but my best guess eyeball-with-ruler measurement is 5/8" depth on the reflector. Take that with a grain of salt. :caution:

Deal4

Enlightened
Thought I would chime in here. I used to have the iTP SA1 Eluma till I gave it to a friend of mine. Dumb, dumb, dumb! For a single AA light it is very bright, and would almost out throw my friends Fexin LD20! Yes, it has a smooth reflector, but unless you go white wall hunting the beam quality is great. I really wish I still had it!
My only gripe with it is where they put the pocket clip. It leaves too much of the light out of your pocket.
The iTP SA1 Eluma is a great light that isn't very expensive. Very good gift light.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
FYI: the fenix pd20 can use rcr123as Just fine.
Great light good price.

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Ended up buying 2 Nitecore Extreme Infinity R2s... One for him and one for me! I'm amazed at how well this little guy can throw... even with a lop reflector!

I also picked up a Jetbeam bc10 & a iTP Sc1 for myself. Figured I deserved it after all my hard work :)

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Romisen has a new light, think it's at shiningbeam. Has an aspheric lens for a little throw. Iva seen pics and the bezel looks copper and the rest of the light is black.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Ended up buying 2 Nitecore Extreme Infinity R2s... One for him and one for me! I'm amazed at how well this little guy can throw... even with a lop reflector!

I also picked up a Jetbeam bc10 & a iTP Sc1 for myself. Figured I deserved it after all my hard work :)

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!

Hey bud! How do u like ur bc10 so far? Is that the AA version right? 170 lumens