EagleTac P20C2 vs. T20C2 - What am I looking at?

belomeclone

Enlightened
Both have "lower than average runtimes on Turbo" according to Light-Reviews.com, so off the bat I am upset.

Is "tightening" and "loosening" easily achieved, not that I'd turn it down much at all.

I have written this topic about nine times before erasing it because of the similar names involved. My brain hurts from all the data. Lumens, Lux, Spot Lux Rating, etc. All of it going in different directions, all of it not agreeing with photos, etc.

The T20C2 is the better looking flashlight. The P20C2 supports drop-ins.

Which one should I be getting? I leave my choice in your hands. And, the T20C2 comes with different bulbs? Oh my God my head hurts. What was EagleTac thinking with the naming scheme and the similarity?? And is the T20C2 is so similar to the P20C2, why is it over 20 dollars more, sometimes 30??

Q8iGunner

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion you will be happy with either one you buy, personally I have the T20C2 MKII XPG and I really like it. I almost only use it now.

The mode switching is easily achieved by twisting the head nothing too complicated in my opinion.

The T20C2 (T is for Tactical) Supports drop-ins, the P20C2 (P is for Personal) I don't know if it does.

The T20C2 has higher lumens output, smoother beam because of the LOP reflector (P20C2 has smooth reflector)

For me I recommend the T20C2 MKII over P20C2 because of it higher output, better looking beam and overall design.

By the way I think the T20C2 is bigger than the P20C2 so if you intend to carry it in your pants all the time maybe just maybe you should go with a smaller light.

alfa

Newly Enlightened
The P20C2 usually is sold with the LOP reflector, and uses drop-ins, like the T20C2. The T20C2 is more tactical, bigger reflector, more throw, bigger and more robust. The P20C2 is more handy, smaller, with a good flood beam, very good for easy use!

Calcustom

Newly Enlightened
The T20C2 MK II has nine different modules. XP-G R5, XR-E R2, Q4 5A, XM-L T6 and some color modules and one infrared.

belomeclone

Enlightened
I dont know what does "down-the-road" exactly mean, but there is the drop in with xm-l, neutral tint led and xr-e...

"Down the road" means something planned for future release. As in, in the future they could release new drop-ins to retain value in the flashlight. Moving on...

So which T20C2 Module should I get with mine? My M3C4 is the XM-L, is that the one I should get here as well? I'd want Spot over Throw, though I have found Spot to be as strong as Throw, but with a nice, focused centre.

jcalvert

Enlightened
"Down the road" means something planned for future release. As in, in the future they could release new drop-ins to retain value in the flashlight. Moving on...

So which T20C2 Module should I get with mine? My M3C4 is the XM-L, is that the one I should get here as well? I'd want Spot over Throw, though I have found Spot to be as strong as Throw, but with a nice, focused centre.

Hello belomeclone,

The sentence I highlighted in red is a confusing mix of terms! I think you mean to say "you want flood over throw", since a spot beam pattern is typically synonomous with throw. Allow me to try and sort this out for you.

1) If you want a long throwing beam, it will have a rather tight "hotspot". Then you want the XPG -R5 drop-in module for a balanced beam with a nice amount of throw or the XRE-R2 drop-in module for a tighter beam and even longer throw.

2) If you want a floody beam with little throw, it will typically range from an evident hotspot to a nearly zero "hotspot". In that case, you want the new XM-L T6 drop-in module which has a larger hotspot than the XPG-R5, but has an overall more floody transition to a very useable floody spill.

At this point in time, it's my understanding that the future is now with the XM-L T6. And remember, you can always add diiferent drop-in modules to either the P20 or the T20 as your needs evolve or as new modules are introduced! You don't have to limit yourself. I hope this helps!

All the best,
John

belomeclone

Enlightened
Yes, I messed up with that description. You make the XM-L T6 sound like it is a flood with a weak throw. I can't imagine that is the case!! A weaker throw than R5s?! R2 is made for throw, but I do believe it is weak.

How would I go about finding an offering with the XM-L T6, exactly? Is that the most popular choice at the moment? How is battery life with it?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Yes, I messed up with that description. You make the XM-L T6 sound like it is a flood with a weak throw. I can't imagine that is the case!! A weaker throw than R5s?! R2 is made for throw, but I do believe it is weak.

How would I go about finding an offering with the XM-L T6, exactly? Is that the most popular choice at the moment? How is battery life with it?

XM-L lights can range from nearly all flood to being a thrower (Malkoff HoundDog XM-L). It depends primarily on the reflector that is matched to the light based on the manufacturer's intent plus other factors. Here's a link to a website that carries the EagleTac T20C2 MKII XM-L:
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html Read it thoroughly to make a more informed decision. But you will likely not be disappointed with the T20 XM-L. I know because I have a T20 plus three other XM-L lights.

All the best,
John

belomeclone

Enlightened
Thank you for the information and sites!!

The XM-L seems to have a larger flood than the R5, and with the throw, especially at such a short distance, I am unable to tell a difference. Regardless, brighter is always better, I will look for the XM-L version. I hope it is easy to find, as I do like to shop around for the best deal, and then grab some coupons :p

This better destroy the poor Smartring SR3 in my car. A decent flashlight but way too dim in today's flashlight world. I am excited! Now, to actually buy it...

Jackasper

Enlightened

lebox97

Enlightened
RE: light-reviews:
lower average runtimes, yes,
compared to lower lumen output models ...
(do you you want max lumen output, or max runtime - you can't have both) :confused:

RE: flood vs throw:
smooth small reflector + large LED = donut hole, not more throw.

ET engineers found that using LOP (Light orange peel) texture minimizes the donut hole, and produces more throw than smooth reflector does, which is why LOP is the factory default EagleTac Reflector for XP-G R5 and XM-L in the P20/T20 series....
our light meter confirms approx 10-13% increased throw from LOP over SMO in the T20/P20 due to the darker center spot with SMO.

a very common assumption is that brighter LED makes more throw, and smooth reflectors makes more throw - the part of the equation missing is the depth and focus of the reflector. (degrees of output from the LED is also missing XR-E 90 degrees vs XP-G/XM-L 125 degrees)

The P20 reflector is .50 inch long/depth
The T20 reflector is .80 inch long/depth

there are at least three choices of LED in lights this size - XR-E R2, XP-G R5, and XM-L
XR-E R2 will give you most throw, least amount of lumens
XM-L will give you most lumens, with least amount of throw.
XP-G R5 gives you a good compromise of lumens and throw.
again this is all in the context of small-shallow pocket friendly reflectors,
if you want throw from these LED - then you need to look at reflectors (lights) that are 2-3x or more in depth... (or use optics)

Cheers
Tod

belomeclone

Enlightened
I'm not looking for some kind of extreme throw, just something that focuses in general. I mean, it's something you can hold in a cigar-grip, how big of a reflector can you get from it without it becoming too bulky? Plus, I doubt the difference in throw between XM-L and the R5 matters since the XM-L is brighter, so that, even if the R5 is going farther, it won't be illuminated as well.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I'm not looking for some kind of extreme throw, just something that focuses in general. I mean, it's something you can hold in a cigar-grip, how big of a reflector can you get from it without it becoming too bulky? Plus, I doubt the difference in throw between XM-L and the R5 matters since the XM-L is brighter, so that, even if the R5 is going farther, it won't be illuminated as well.

It's simple then, since you've been scoping out the EagleTac T20C2 MKII XM-L, then I would suggest that. It's a great value (high quality + low price) and if you PM me, I will suggest my choice in a dealer who provides A+ service.

All the best,
John

Hangfire79

Newly Enlightened
Just do what I'm doing, I bought the T20C2 XM-L T6 and I'm getting the R5 drop in and probably R2 as well. I won't be limiting myself to one setup and will have all 3 options in a light and form-factor that I'm familiar with.

indychris

Newly Enlightened
Got the T20C2 from Illumination Gear today, so far..... me likey!

I've purchased several lights from Tod @ IG. His service has always been fantastic to me, including an overnight to Phoenix a few months back when I was heading to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and left my good lights back in Indiana.

I'm sure you'll be continually pleased with both T20C2 and the service from IG. :twothumbs