ARC AAA P acting weird

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

My arc aaa P started acting weird. When I turn it on when it has been resting for a while, it works fine, a few minutes later it starts to flicker and sometimes it shuts down completely. This happens even with fresh batteries (alkalines, eneloops and lithiums, I don't use LiIons with it).

Any idea what may be the problem? Thank you in advance for your help guys.

Alberto.

choombak

Enlightened
There is a possibility of dirt being trapped between the base of the head, and the foam donut which causes the flickr. Carefully take apart the foam donut, and apply a dab of oil on the base. It will emulsify the sticky glue. Rub with your finger, and then clean with a soft cotton. Instead of having the foam donut on the head, push it inside the body to the bottom (all my Arcs' have donuts inside the body now). Using a safety pin, clean the holes too. Check if it works fine now.

If it still flickrs, you may have to fix the crimping as described by Gransee here, and then here. Merely lift the crimp, and clean the epoxy beneath it, and then re-seat it.

If this still does not work, as a last resort, boil the head for about a minute (bring water to boil, and then put the head in). Make sure to take out the O-rings. I have boiled a couple of heads, and they started working fine.

-Amarendra

Last edited:

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for your responses!
I already cleaned all contacts and threads as recommended by Flying Turtle with no luck.
I'll proceed with choombak's recommendations now. I'll post my results asap.
Thanks again guys.
Alberto

Update: It seems like the boiling water did the trick. so far no flickering after an hour or so of use.
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahahahhahahahahahaha!!!!! i vote choombak's idea the most amazing flashlight fix in history!

DeLionKing

Newly Enlightened
After experiencing some further flickering in my Arc AAA P, I decided to send it back to Arc for repair. To my total surprise, I received a brand new one, which has a way whiter tint on the led compared to the old one. Lucy (from Arc) was really kind and helpful all the way from start to finish. I'm very pleased with their CS. I will definitely buy again from Arc again.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that excellent customer service hasn't gone out of style :).

dss_777

Enlightened
Does anyone have a better email addie/contact info than the "[email protected]" address?

I've been trying to contact them to service an older Arc AAA, but am getting no replies. Maybe they don't want to fix a 7 year old light, but "lifetime" means "lifetime", right? :naughty:

It was repaired once, never really worked right after, and now won't work at all. The neg. contact stud isn't doing it's job, maybe cuz when they fixed it they just put a bunch of solder down there, and now it's oxidized or something and fails to complete the circuit. Or something.

Last edited: