How much under the MSRP??

300winmag

Enlightened
I am looking at a 2011 Nissan Rogue SL and the MSRP is $35,000 here in Canada. What would be a good number to start bargaining with? Im thinking I should start at $30K and if he goes up I will tell him to throw in an extended warranty,free oil for life, or some toys for it. I have a friend who just bought a new Tacoma, haggled for 2 days but saved himself 4k. How much did you guys save off the MSRP??? Got any tricks up your sleeve??

doktorziplok

Newly Enlightened
when i bought my f150, i asked for the moon: $15k under sticker. we did the price dance and i drove off the lot for $5k under with the dealer suite (rust/sound proofing, interior warranty and protection, paint warranty) plus oil changes. that was late 2009. i would imagine that the past year of economic poo would only aid your chances with a low-ball offer.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I traded in a car recently. Rather the argue on the price of the new car, and the trade price, I offered the salesman a changeover price. I told him I didn't care how he worked his numbers, as long as he met my changeover, we'd have a deal.

In the end it worked out that I saved $4000 on the sticker price.

The biggest bargaining tool you have is your feet. Shop around, then pick the softest salesman and screw him to the wall.

Last edited:

300winmag

Enlightened
Ya so far the guys I've talked with will not go down more then $1,500 and thats with no incentives. That makes 3 people I heard of saving 4K or higher, I will make it a point it throw it in his face.

nbp

Flashaholic
Also, make it seem as though you don't care at all if you don't get the car. "Oh, that's the best you can do? Oh well, thanks anyways." --> Walk away.

If you seem desperate and in love with the car, they know they can take advantage of you. If they see a sale walking away, they may be more likely to deal.

My limited experience with cars and life in general.