what works best for fire fighters?

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
a fire fighter friend wishes to purchase flashlights to be helmet mounted for use in smoke filled rooms.

he's asked my help in finding the best type of light (xenon vs LED), the easiest-to-view-in-smoke beam shape (flood vs spot) and the most useful color or colors of light (white, red, blue, etc).

he thinks that maybe a combo light, like streamlight TL2, having a bright xenon spot and the option for multiple colored LEDs in a smallish 2-cell (123 batteries) size would make a good helmet light for fire fighting that would cut through smoke that is found in a structure fire. it would be mounted on the side of the fire helmet, something in the size range of the Scorpion flashlight or just a hair bigger but not much bigger.... size does matter....

anyone out there with real-life experience that can help???

gadgetnut

Enlightened
Coyote, I was involved in volunteer firefighting for a few years, so I will speak only from my experience. When I was doing it, we always had helmet mounted mini-mags. They worked okay. Based on what I've seen, I'd say go with a xenon bulb. The flood-like, blueish/white light of LED's may not punch through smoke very well. I know that a good incan with a tight beam will. I would think any of the lights with two lithium 123's and a good xenon bulb would be fine. Actually, a Streamlight TT 2L might be a great choice. Here's why: You'd have the Xenon for punching through smoke, and you'd have the LED's for later (after fire clean up) to conserve battery power. Plus if it gets lost or damaged, it's only $29 as opposed to $70 and up for some other brands.

EPguy

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, my brother in law is looking for another flashlight. I gave him a Z3 for Christmas one year and he mounted it to his helmet, worked really well until he kept turning a blinding his fellow FF with it! I've got to find him one for his Bunker Coat, I think Streamlight makes one.

Deanster

Enlightened
Pelican sees firefighting as one of its core markets - their non-incendiary lights are used by many many many fire depts. Their 'Stealthlite' series has a helmet-mounting bracket available, and I think also the 'big Ed' right-angle light. go to http://www.pelican.com for details.

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
I'm a wholetime firefighter in the UK. We have UK4AA's mounted on our Gallet helmets. These have Xenon bulbs and are a good light.
I also purchased my own Streamlight 4AA 7 LED. This has proved to be a great light. It is like a personal floodlight - ideal for general fireground tasks and at RTA's (MVA's). It does not have a long throw but when I need that I swap to the UK4AA.
Regarding smoke: a xenon bulb will penetrate thin smoke fairly well, but a house fire produces ink-black smoke that is COMPLETELY IMPENETRABLE. Forget your light, this is the time to bring out your thermal imager!

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
fcfaab1c.jpg

fcdcb727.jpg

fcdcb774.jpg

fcdcb684.jpg

fcdc4b93.jpg

fc0f2913.jpg

fc0f28c3.jpg

fbab6c8f.jpg

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY NICE PICTURES!

Coyote,

Please do some searches here, there are some very interesting, long, detailed, very informative threads on this subject.

I know, because I participated in some of them.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
dear fellow CPF members-
you guys are great. thanks for all the wonderful comments and help. this info will surely set my buddy on the right track...
-coyote