completely dismantling petzl duo

REEVESTRIFE

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I want to completely dismantle my petzl duo 14 headlight, to take out any trace that there ever was a halogen bulb in there,i need more space in there so i can plant in a new SSC P7 10watt 900 lumens LED.
i know how to open the duo for bulb replacement purposes, but cant see how to take out the rest of the inner workings without breaking them.
anybody know how this is done?
dont want to brake the thing in my attempt to dismantle it.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know how to open the duo for bulb replacement purposes, but cant see how to take out the rest of the inner workings without breaking them.
anybody know how this is done?
dont want to break the thing in my attempt to dismantle it.
Once the bulbs are out there's not a lot more that can be done unless you're going to replace the switch.

The Duo power 'switch' is basically a lever on the outside with a pin inside with eccentric/flat spots (think 'camshaft') which pushes sprung metal strips together as the switch is turned (see below).
Those strips are attached to the main black lump inside the light - if you take out the lump you'll have to fit some switch of your own.

There's also a limit to how much heat you can get out through the headset. It's possible to try external heatsinking, but that can be tricky when it comes to waterproofing.

duo_stripped.jpg

duo_stripped.jpg

Last edited:

REEVESTRIFE

Newly Enlightened
Wow! thanks for the info uk_Caver, that exactly what i needed to know
much appreciated!

i think i will then just leave it in place, and shorten my drop-in-module to fit on top of the "lump", will just use it for very short bursts, and the drop in module of the LED seems to have reasonable capability to handle some heat. so hopefully heat wont be to big of a problem.

Last edited:

REEVESTRIFE

Newly Enlightened
thanks rab1985 did not know about customduo.co.uk feeling tempted to buy a module from them! if i dint already by the p7 drop-in-module, it would have been a no-brainer, but i will first check how successfull i am with that before ordering from customduo

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
John at customduo is a good bloke, and does have a fair range of modules.

The 'classic' XRE spot optic (which I also use) does give a pretty good spot beam with usable spill, far better than the nasty screw-in LED bulb replacements that were around a couple of years ago, and streets ahead of the halogen. I'm nor sure how the beamshape of the XPG spot variant compares.

GrenDup

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the info on customduo! I just found a way to resurect my beloved Duo!