'First' real flash light. Help appreciated.

Stig

Newly Enlightened
I've come across this forum several times in the past in search of a good flashlight, and after still not being able to find something I'm happy with, I decided to register.

I'm a hobby photographer, and base most of my work in abandoned buildings and storm water drains, so I am usually in pitch black and have decided my old torch just doesn't cut it any more.

For the past year I have been using a huge Maglight which I found. But it chews through the batteries like nothing else I've used, and doesn't put out much light for all it's hunger.

I've looked at the criteria sticky, and putting below what I'm looking for.

:confused:

I will be buying online.

Budget of around $100 AUD, but that can change depending on what I get suggested.

Flashlight.

Don't really mind the size, the one I have been using is nearly 20"! But smaller would be prefered.

LED prefered, as I will be using it for long periods at a time, and it's just easier in my opinion.

I would consider getting a light that is pieced together, I like customised things, but not if it's going to get expensive quickly.

Rechargeable batteries are a MUST! Sick of throwing out old batteries and want something reliable.

After something that will be able to light a fair distance ahead of me. But as I will usually be using it in tunnels, not something crazy. Around 300+ lumin maybe?

Would be used for everything from looking at gear in my backpack, to shining far ahead down a tunnel (50m).

Long runtime will be needed. As I am often out from 7pm untill 12pm.

Durability is a must, as I don't want it dieing while I'm a 20 minute walk down a tunnel.

Tail or body mounted switch, doesn't really bother me.

I'm guessing 2 light modes, bright and dim, or adjustable would be heaplfull for my situation, open to suggestions though.

Medal torch would be preferred.

Waterproof, as I don't want to accidentally drop it in the drain, and have it die on me.

:confused:

Hopefully this isn't asking too much, but by looking at the size of this awesome community, I'm sure someone will at least be able to point me in the right direction.

I also realize my budget of $100 may be a bit unreasonable, so if there is something that will suit my needs amazingly for a bit more, don't be afraid to show me anyway!

Thanks in advance to anyone daring enough to read all this!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF !
I don't have any advice on which light will suit, maybe a malkoff md2 ? With the high lo switch assembly.
Nearly anything you get is going to be miles ahead of your old maglite

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Anything will be better than the mag! Read these forums. you will find a ton of info. And, keep your eyes open on the classifieds section. There are always awesome deals available there from one member to another. You could use that as a starting point to then research the available torches.
Enjoy your searching on this forum. :wave:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Not sure how much $100 AUS is, but, if you can grab an Surefire E2L-AA and some Eneloops you'll be set for a VERY long time...This may be the only light that meets your requirements with-out getting into exotic rechargeables (18650's, etc.; i.e. R/C's not used outside the CPF community)

Stig

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and welcomes everyone.
I've been looking through the forum for a couple of hours now, just trying to get my head around all the terminology and models etc.

Surefire torches seem to be one of the most popular brands from what I can see, and the E2L-AA is a wicked little package, but costs nearly $200 over here.
So if I was to get it, I would buy from the states and get it shipped.
But it it still a bit more than what I'd want to pay.

The AUD is nearly 1 for 1 with the USD at the moment if that helps.

What other popular brands are there other than Surefire that I can have a browse of?

I've also noticed that the majority of the Surefire flashlights don't run for much longer than 2 hours, is this common with most flashlights?

Thanks again everyone!

EDIT:

Anyone got any comments on Fenix KT20.

Doesn't look anywhere near the quality as Surefire in my opinion, but is it worth considering?

Last edited:

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I think your best bet would be to buy your Surefire's from the CPF Marketplace, if you really want a Surefire that is. If you can flex your budget about another $50, you can get a Malkoff MD2 Hi/Lo combo from James at Cool Torches; I'm pretty sure that it can take 18650 li-ion rechargeables.

Av8tor

Newly Enlightened
I personally would go for the 4sevens Quark AA2 or the Fenix LD 20. Both are excellent lights with plenty of power for your needs. I personally like the Quark better because the sheath and and lanyard that came with mine was nicer than the one that came with my Fenix LD10, but both are very good lights.

I'm assuming with this recommendation that you intend to use NiMH rechargeables instead of Lithium batteries. If you are looking to use Lithiums then it changes your options to some of the higher output lights. There's also the Quark AA2 Turbo if you want to use 2 AA batteries and have more throw from the light. It will be a little more bulky though.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
What JTblue said. Post a WTB for an E2L-AA (or whatever), and you can get one shipped to Aus for about $150 USD.

Stig

Newly Enlightened
After looking at all of the suggested flashlights, I have decided I really like the 4Seven Quark lights.

Quark 123²/Turbo in particular, as it has a very long lifespan at 200 Lumin. (Max: 200 lumens for 2 hours 45 minutes)

I have not seen CR123A batteries before but notice they are quite popular with torches, and get a longer life for the size of them compared to traditional AA etc.

Is there any disadvantages to buying a torch that uses CR123A?

And can anyone recommended what good rechargeable CR123A I could get?

Thanks again.

jgreen71

Newly Enlightened
Just be aware that cr123 batteries can be hard to get in Australia (well Melbourne anyway) and run from $11-$17 each for energizer primaries. (I don't think 4sevens recommends lithium rechargeables in the quark do they?)
It can get quite expensive unless you get them from overseas.
Probably better to get the aa quark & some eneloops so you don't have to worry about using disposables.
You might want to grab a backup light too if you do a lot of work in tunnels.

Last edited:

Stig

Newly Enlightened
You're also from Melbourne then? Unfortunate to know they're not easy to come by.
4Seven sell:

4Sevens' Lithium CR123A (10 pack)
$19.00
So I assumed Lithium rechargeable would be okay in them.

Only reason I was thinking 123s over AA, was the huge difference in runtime on the highest output.

Max: 200 lumens for 2 hours 30 minutes (990ma)
compared to
AA
Max: 190 lumens for 47 minutes (700ma)

Av8tor

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that the numbers on the Quark's runtime are on alkaline batteries because that's what the include with the light. If you put eneloops you'll get slightly over an hour of runtime.

Here's selfbuilt's review on the quark:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...123-QAA-Q123-2-QAA-2-RUNTIMES-COMPARISONS-etc

If you scroll down to the bottom you'll see the AA2 along with some of its competitors. The LED has aslo been upgraded since then so performance will be increased.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
The malkoff solution is a little more than your stated budget, but it was also more than my original budget and I now own several because they are so good.

The MD3 body with MD2 head, high/low switch, and M61L drop it will run on a variety of batteries and had long runtime
3x cr123 will give full output (175 lumens) for about 7 hours and low output would be MANY more hours.
2x 18500 li-ion will give full output for about the same time
1x 18650 li-ion with a spacer would give about 4 hours of output
2x AA (with an easily made sleeve) would give a medium level of output for MANY hours This thread is about M60LL which is not as bright as M61L I am suggesting --> http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?231139-Malkoff-M60LL-On-2x-AA

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Not sure how much $100 AUS is, but, if you can grab an Surefire E2L-AA and some Eneloops you'll be set for a VERY long time...This may be the only light that meets your requirements with-out getting into exotic rechargeables (18650's, etc.; i.e. R/C's not used outside the CPF community)

The SF E2L-AA really is probably the best light based on your requirements. Keep an eye on CPF Marketplace or post a Want To Buy and see if you can get one for a price that you are comfortable with. Then, as AOW stated, run Eneloop rechargeable AA cells.

A fellow CPF member did a runtime test of the E2L-AA which found 3hrs45min on high with Sanyo Eneloops.

Whatever you get, be sure to always have a backup flashlight with you. Remember--two is one and one is none.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though the SureFire E2L AA is a great 2AA light, it is quite expensive for just average output.

How about a rechargeable flashlight system such as the Streamlight Stinger series? They are multi-mode, so if you need longer runtime, you can use the medium or low setting or pack a spare battery.

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/02/streamlight-stinger-ds-led-hp-review/

Last edited:

Stig

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies again.

I'm currently trying to chose between the 4Sevens Quark series, and the Malkoff MD2.

I'm also sussing out the battery situation, I think I will chose 123s if I can find some that are decent rechargeable, as I'd hate to throw so many out.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
+1 on the Quark AA, I own one and I love it. You may want to look at the Quark AA Turbo as it will give you a bit more throw. Many of the people on CPF, including me, will also recommend Eneloops as a great AA rechargable. The good thing about AA flashlights is that you can get them almost anywhere if you should run out while on the road.

Good luck on the search.

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I think you should start by picking a battery that is common and easy to get and then make a decision based on that. If CR123 are hard to get maybe think about rechargeable 18650 batteries, but expect to pay $100 for a good charger and set of batteries. Quilt free use after that.

Mike Docherty

Newly Enlightened
As a graveyard shift police officer I have requirements similar to yours. I carry a Surefire 9volt light (9Z & 9P) with a Malkoff P60 drop-in. I use AW brand rechargeable ICR 123's. If I needed your runtime, I would carry a few extra sets of batteries. These are small and would easily fit in your pocket or kit. This set up is a little outside of your budget with a new light but you should be able to pick up a used 6p or 6z on eBay if you're patient. Good Luck

Stig

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind choosing a battery that I will have to order from overseas if it means I'll get the most out of the torch I buy.

I've been looking into batteries and I want one that will last for as long as possible.

I'm pretty much set on buying a Quark, and wanted to know if I can lego a '123 x2 Turbo' head onto a 18650 body, thus getting the best amount of light out of a high capacity battery.

The '123 x2 Turbo' head is rated at 3.0V ~ 9.0V, and 18650 produce around 4.15v (Correct?)

So I should be able to lego this high lumin head with a high capacity battery?

Or am I completely off target? Haha.

EDIT!

I have since found that I can actually use the AA x2 Turbo head with the 18650 body, as it is rated to 4.2v.
I think I will be going ahead with this combo as it allows me to use both easily sourced batteries, and high capacity rechargeable batteries.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited: