First mod with 2800mA driver

lundeholm

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

Two weeks ago I received a Solarforce L2P with a single mode XML-dropin. It's very bright but I would prefer a dropin with a few different modes and maybe a little more power (I measure [email protected] and [email protected] using gray unprotected trustfire batteries with a cheap multimeter) so I have ordered a new powerful driver that I am hoping to be able to use in the dropin. I just got a shipping confirmation from KD saying that the driver, a "AMC7135*8+MCU 2800mAh 5-Mode Circuit Board", is on its way. Hopefully it will arrive in a few weeks, leaving me with some time to prepare. I have never done any flashlight modding like this before and I only have a very basic experience of soldering, so I would appreciate any practical advice and general tips that can help me to succeed with this modification. For example, reading these forums has made me concerned about the driver maybe being too powerful, but with my lacking experience and knowledge in these matters I have no way of judging if this really will be a problem.

Thanks

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, nice project goals.

Step 1
- toss all and any brand of unprotected cells
- They will bring you nothing but misery

Step 2
- Estimate the heat
- Assume that all power goes to heat
- Your hand can handle 10 watts a long time, 15 watts a few minutes, 20+ watts a few seconds
- volts x amps = power

Step 3
- Estimate if your cells can supply enough current
- If they are rated for 1,000 mah, ( 1 AH ), then you can run them at 1 amp no problem, perhaps 2 amps max, no problem (also known as 1 C or 2 C, C = battery capacity)
- If you go higher than this, then it is worthwhile to really know your cells capability in detail

There are a lot of interesting ways to modify a light, but at least for me, I tend to damage parts during assembly, requiring a few extras along the way. Some people buy 2 of each part to avoid waiting around.

Sounds like a fun project.

Harry

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I would say, as far as preparation, do you have a dremel tool and a few bits? Perhaps some extra wires lying around you could practice soldering with? How about thermal adhesive and thermal paste?

As far as your brain goes, look for some similar modifications here on CPF, you may be able to find a post in which someone details a similar project. Don't get discouraged if something goes wrong, it happens all the time even to the best of us. If parts don't fit or do what you wanted them to do, save them for another project, you'll be amazed how often you can build a whole light out of your junk pile.

mintec

Newly Enlightened
I did the same mod on a ultafire wf502b and the driver was seated very tight and tough getting out. Wrap the led module with heavy-duty aluminum foil to get a better contact to body for better heat transfer. P60 XML @ 2.8a gets hot in a few minutes. Good luck and have fun modding. 