NiteCore Infilux IFE2 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiteCore Infilux IFE2 - Reposting since the original was lost to the data crash. Submitted for consideration for the review forum.

NiteCore is at it again, producing another infinitely variable light to compliment their previous offerings, this time there is a bit of a twist in the UI…literally.

NiteCore Infilux IFE2

Meat and Potatoes

We've seen a number of lights here before that claim "infinite" adjustability, and to a point, they have been correct. In practice however, they have usually been just programmable single or occasionally multi-mode lights. The Infilux grabs the concept of the selection ring UI and extends it to its logical conclusion, joining a very exclusive cadre of torches that offer true variability, both before startup and at any point during operation. Instead of offering 3-4 specific modes that you can choose the IFE2 has apparently seamless dimming from its full 345 lumens to an incredible .003 lumens on low. That is just barely enough to see that the LED is even activated at all. At this level, you would expect the light to be capable of running basically forever, however the amount of overhead required for such a variable driver far overshadows the minute quantities of electricity being sipped by the LED and as such, the runtime greatly suffers. This is a bit of a downside to lights like this, but 7 days of continuous operation still is nothing to sneeze at.

Adjustment Ring

In previous Infilux models, I have heard rumors that the low end of the spectrum is rather difficult to tweak. Rest assured that this isn't the case with the IFE2. It is nearly as simple to set the lowest setting as it is the highest. The strobe setting is far enough out of the way past "standby" no not be in your way and the SOS mode is so hidden that it doesn't even make an appearance in the user's manual. It was actually something I had to find out from various fora before I knew about it. A simple three twists from low to high in very rapid succession will activate the SOS in whatever brightness you desire.

Using a Cree XP-G LED nestled inside a smaller textured reflector, the IFE2 produces an excellently balanced beam. Sitting a little more toward the floody side, it definitely uses its lumens spread out over a larger area than you would find with larger bezeled lights. This in my opinion makes it more useful of an EDC torch, providing adequate illumination for the vast majority of daily encountered lighting needs, and yet still able to throw at least a meager amount thanks to its incredibly powerful top end output.

Cree XP-G

I would rank the size of the IFE2 as a small duty light though it is still small enough to EDC. I have only seen a few 2xCR123A lights that are more compact and it is just about the smallest 18650 light I have yet held. The knurling that is so prevalent on all of NiteCore's products is just as beautiful here as anywhere. NiteCore's anodizing has stepped up in quality as well with this instance looking very durable and beautiful. The inclusion of a Titanium alloy pocket clip shows that they mean business when it comes to solid construction and genuine usability.

Constructive Criticism

Though nobody will doubt the durability of the pocket clip included on the IFE2, I suspect a number of people will join me considering it to be a bit of a pocket shredder. The combination of slightly rough edges of the stamped sheet metal, and its positioning cause it to be quite aggressive to the unfortunate article of clothing it is attached to. It rides directly over the point of the hexagonal anti-roll device and has the trademark knurling underneath its entire length. This is an excellent location for manufacturers to show off their quality machining skills and add some decorative flats on a light to prevent pocket damage.

Titanium Pocket Clip

I have long been an opponent of indecisive tailcaps. By this I mean switches where the manufacturer has tried to create a switch that is recessed in order to provide tailstand ability and yet scalloped to give easy access to the button. Generally these attempts accomplish neither well enough to compete with a switch that is dedicated to be one or the other. The Infilux IFE2 tailcap switch is one of the worst that I have seen in this regard. The protrusions are far enough into your way to cause frustration when you are trying to quickly access the light, and yet they actually fall short of being capable of tailstanding even the slightest. This light will only point stably at the ceiling if you have it propped up in some way. There is no freestanding method to accomplish this in the least. Please, PLEASE manufacturers, pick one or the other. Don't try for the best of both worlds, you usually achieve neither.

Poorly Scalloped Tailcap Switch

Conclusions

Attractive and functional, what more can you ask for in a light? Well, completely variable would be one choice. This light is useful in so many situations and still small enough to be portable for easy carry. I believe NiteCore has a serious winner on their hands here.

NiteCore Infilux IFE2

Provided for review by the kind folks at NiteCore.

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
Just got mine in yesterday, and I'll say +1 to everything in the review, with this added:
Current draw in various states
Idle:
Freshly charged 18650: 9.9mA
2x 123's 10.4mA
Which explains the 168 hour life for standby/low lumens

But I did find out, its not running in full regulation on 1x18650, hooked up to a bench supply, current increases as voltage rises, up to 4.3V, (1.0) or so. Then current starts dropping back down from 4.3 to 6 (.83A) to 8.6V (.58A)where I stopped. So it looks like if you want full lumens, you'll be running 2x CR123, or 2x CR123. I find that a bit dissappointing, the 3.5Vf of the XPG, makes for a .8v overhead.

Oh and a tiny little spot of solder on the top of an AW2900mAh cell makes it work fine, doesnt need to be tall at all.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it looks like if you want full lumens, you'll be running 2x CR123, or 2x CR123.
I've run mine on all 3 battery types and can see no difference in brightness in actual use.

Thanks for taking the measurements - good to know. Awesome light BTW...

CKOD

Enlightened
I've run mine on all 3 battery types and can see no difference in brightness in actual use.

Thanks for taking the measurements - good to know. Awesome light BTW...

I didnt notice it either, its close, but on a power supply, dialing it to 4.2v and then turning it up has a notoiceable increase all the way upto 4.6v now that I took a 2nd look at it. I have a lux meter on the way, (ordered it before I ordered this light and batteries... Good work from light juntion and light hound, boo amazon :p )) I'll post up some numbers once I have it.

Edit: got some numbers, meter came in today.
1x18650, 750 lux @ unmeasured distance
2x CR123s 1100lux @ same distance, same meter, definite difference in output.

Last edited:

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
I didnt notice it either, its close, but on a power supply, dialing it to 4.2v and then turning it up has a notoiceable increase all the way upto 4.6v now that I took a 2nd look at it. I have a lux meter on the way, (ordered it before I ordered this light and batteries... Good work from light juntion and light hound, boo amazon :p )) I'll post up some numbers once I have it.

Edit: got some numbers, meter came in today.
1x18650, 750 lux @ unmeasured distance
2x CR123s 1100lux @ same distance, same meter, definite difference in output.

Hello everyone. This will be my first inquiry. I wanted to know if the IFE2 will take Ultrafire's RCR123A 3.6V 880 MAH rechargeables. I understand that these batteries may be a bit longer.

Thanks.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my new Nitecore IFE2 for a few weeks and use it on my job as a chauffeur, so I thought I'd post my initial impressions.

IFE22011DerekDean.jpg

The Good:
Good build quality. Excellent machining with smooth edges all the way around and flawless anodizing. The knurling is aggressive enough to provide good grip, but doesn't feel rough. Threads came clean and well lubed, and while not square cut, seem substantial enough for long lasting service.

Feels well balanced and solid in the hand with nice heft, but light enough for extended use.

Clip is well placed, feels very durable and works extremely well, making pocket carry not only doable, but comfortable enough for EDC.

Clicky tail switch feels perfect. Stiff enough to prevent accidental activation of the momentary function, but still easy to click on.

The all important magnetic output level control ring is perfect as well. Silky smooth, but with enough tension to not move while in my pocket. No excess play, and a good solid indent for the off position. Excellent!

The XP-G R5 LED is perfectly centered in the OP reflector and presents the typical XP-G beam profile, a broad hotspot tapering smoothly into the corona then into the wide, bright and even spill. I would classify this as a medium beam, not excessively floody, but not a thrower either. A good, very useful, general EDC type of beam.

The Odd:
Won't tail stand. I don't get this. The tail is flat enough, but the original tail switch boot sticks out just enough to keep it from being able to tail stand.

I did buy an after market 14mm boot, and while the light does tail stand with it installed, the shorter boot causes the momentary to activate continuously, so back to the original non-tailstanding boot.

I'm wondering if this light would work with a reverse clicky switch, as the momentary function wasn't something I particularly needed, so that's something I might try.

The Relative:
Tint..... cool white (ugh)... not my favorite, but I knew that going in. However, I had read that it was possible to open the bezel, which I was able to do with the help of a padded vice, a strap wrench, and a 1200 watt blow dryer. I then added a light orange filter from my Lee Filter sample pack and turned it into the most beautiful tint I could imagine. Pure white with just a hint of warmth. The difference in the quality of the light is dramatic, especially outdoors, and I highly recommend this procedure to anyone wanting to warm up their cool-white LEDs.

General observations:
I really like this light. It feels solid and well built and is small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, and with the supplied clip I don't even know it's there. It goes from .003-270 lumens (OTF) and allows me to easily tailor the light output to precisely what I need for any given task.

No click and hold, no double clicking, no triple clicking while saying " there's no place like home, there's no place like home". Just click it on and quickly dial in the perfect level of light. This UI may not be for everybody, but it's ideal for me.

The only fault I can find with this light is that it can't tail stand, and I haven't given up on that. The fact that I was able to customize the tint to my liking is a huge plus, so all-in-all I feel like I've found an excellent new work light.

Now I'm looking foward to seeing if NiteCore will come out with an XM-L version.

EDIT: Ok, with a little encouragement from CPF members (see posts below) I was finally able to get the replacement boot trimmed enough so that the tail switch works correctly AND the light now tail stands. YIPPEEE!!!

Last edited:

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Did you remove the little nub on the new boot cover. I have the IFE1 and it annoyed me that it couldn't tail stand so I swapped covers and now its great. The only fault these lights have is too much rotation in the selector ring and not enough adjustment at the lower levels. Other than that I love my IFE1

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I've sliced off the little nub, and with a little wiggling I can get it to not activate the momentary, but if I just bump it slightly the momentary comes on. I'll bet with some more work I can get it, thanks for the encouragement.

Yes, during my research I read that other folks felt the control ring travel was a bit two long as well, however, I haven't found that to be the case as it seems just right to me.

Maybe the IFE1 is slightly different, but one of the things I love about the IFE2 is the amazing amount of control I have in selecting the lower levels. I always found the auto ramping lights went to fast to be of any use, but this control ring action is soooooo smooth that I can tweak it perfectly.

It's funny, last night I was laying in bed playing with it on the lower levels (yes, that's one of my favorite things to do with a new light :)), and after letting my eyes become dark adapted I would slowly lower the light a bit, then wait a while and do it again, trying to cut the output visually in half each time.

Well, I kept doing this, and each time I would think.... that's got to be as far down as it will go, but then I'd move the dial just a tiny bit more and cut it in half again. Well, this went on for a quite a while until finally the light on the ceiling was hardy visible, with no spill into the room at all, and yet it kept getting dimmer :eek:.

Then, just for giggles I turned on my NovaTac 120P, which I keep set at it's lowest .08 lumen setting for nightly bathroom treks, and WOW...... it was like a blazing ball of sun lighting up the room compared to where the lowest setting of the IFE2 was.

So, it's fun to finally have a light that will allow me to dial it lower than I actually need. Now if I can just get it to tail stand :D.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light also and enjoy using the control ring to get a low output. The light was very nice during a recent camping trip. The low output was great to have but also knowing it could be quickly ramped to high if/when needed. Good runtime too.

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
Derek:

I have the Infilux IFE2 and I also like it lot (except for the fact that it won't tail stand). This is what I did: I have an Eagletac P20C2 MK II which came with two extra boots, one of them is a white GITD. I took that and put it on the IFE2 and now my Infilux stands tall and straight with no wobble, and it did not affect the operation of the click or the momentary feature at all.

So try to call an Eagletac dealer and get that white GITD boot, if you don't mind a white boot. In fact, I think it looks very nice with the color of the IFE2 body.

Hope this helps.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy lovemylexicon. Just a quick question. You said you had two spare boots, was one of them black, and did you try that one, or was it only the white GITD one that fit?

I wouldn't mind the GIDT, but would prefer the black one if it works, and figure I'll just contact EagleTac and get a couple through them. Thanks for your help.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped my IFE2 boot with a 14 mm GITD from the well-known Chinese site (Starts with a "D"). Any of the 14 mm tail boots will work fine as long as you cut the rubber nub completely off & flush with the inside. And it will also tailstand too.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, just so you know, I did get my 14mm replacement boots from a well known Chinese site.

So, I spent the last hour messing with this (luckily the package included 9 spare boots, 3 pink, 3 green, and 3 black), and I was finally able to get one trimmed enough to work (and it's one of the black ones). YEA!!!

IFE2-Tailstanding.jpg

Thanks for the extra encouragement guys. It was so frustrating to be so close and not have it work. Of course that made it even better when I finally got it assembled and it DID work AND was able to tail stand as well. Sweet.
Now it IS my perfect light. I'm soooooo happy. lovecpf

lovemylexicon

Newly Enlightened
Derek:

I just replied to your question but it seems to have gotten lost in space.

I just saw your newest post and congratuations for finally succeeding.

Anyway, my lost post indicates that the other boot is also a white GITD, but it looks shorter, and does not have the Eagletac emblem imprinted on the boot. The one I put on the IFE2 has the Eagletac emblem imprinted on the boot. I also have the Eagletac T20C2 MK II which also came with a white GITD boot, has the Eagletac emblem imprinted on it, and looks taller than the boot which is the subject of our discussion here.

I should also mentioned that the GITD I put on the IFE2 is a perfect fit---no cutting of the nub is necessary.

Now as I hit the "submit" button I hope this post won't get lost again.