A new home for the Lumapower family

missionaryman

Enlightened
Now my wife will let me keep them on the mantlepiece...

Lights:
Lumapower Trust Model 1 - 350 lumen multi-mode EDC
Lumapower Trust Model 2 - 450 lumen multi mode EDC for people with big hands & pockets ;)

Case:
Split lid wit Anton Gerner brass hinge & antique clasp
Queen Ebony & Rock maple lid with Western Australian Karri case
Hand filled & formed padded royal blue felt base of solid Blackbutt milled to 4mm. Splined mitre joints with Ebony splines.
All wood milled then stabilized then re- milled and glued up
Hand cut back to 2400 grit successively then finished with 0000 steel wool
8 coats of Organoil hard burnishing oil finished a high speed buff to cross link

I hand made this box a few months ago to have a go at using Ebony for the first time ever as a cabinet maker (about $150 worth just in that lid :eek:oo:) and everyone told me it looked too manly to be a jewelry box but I didn't have the heart to cut a big hole in it for a humidor to make it into a cigar box, When I got the Lumapowers they fit in real nice so I got some foam and the rest is history.

Insert:
Pelican Pick n' Pluck for an 1120 case which was a perfect fit

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_7484.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7485.jpg

Thanks for looking.

purelite

Enlightened
Nice work!! But those lights aint gonna stay in there unused forever are they? That would be a shame ")

missionaryman

Enlightened
no shelf queens, all my lights get active service on the mission field. These will be going with me to PNG this year hence the Model 2 with 7 days run time on low.
In case I get lost in the jungle Bear Grylls style...

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lights.

But an even nicer case.

You may have a future as the official CPF light-box maker!

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
BEAUTIFUL work...from a fellow cabinetmaker and woodworker! I think the splines add a nice touch.

stretch

Newly Enlightened
The box looks nice, but when you open it there's this cheezy looking foam. They didn't finish this out right.

missionaryman

Enlightened
Thanks, that would be cool but everyone would need extreme patience as it takes me around 6 months to make a box like that one. (4 kids and a relentless desire to have everything perfectly perfect slow things right down)

Nice lights.

But an even nicer case.

You may have a future as the official CPF light-box maker!

missionaryman

Enlightened
Well thank you, good to get kudos from a learned eye, those splines took forever to get right - I couldn't machine the ebony as it was too hard so it all had to be hand milled winding sticks style.
About 10-15 shaves with the number four and it's over to the Tormek for a re-grind

BEAUTIFUL work...from a fellow cabinetmaker and woodworker! I think the splines add a nice touch.

missionaryman

Enlightened
They = me, the foam is genuine Pelican pick n pluck which is about as good as it gets, I inquired about custom die cut HDF but it worked out to about $250 for the first one then $25 each after that but you need to pay the $250 every time your box or light sizes change.

The box looks nice, but when you open it there's this cheezy looking foam. They didn't finish this out right.

OCD

Enlightened
They = me, the foam is genuine Pelican pick n pluck which is about as good as it gets, I inquired about custom die cut HDF but it worked out to about $250 for the first one then $25 each after that but you need to pay the $250 every time your box or light sizes change.

I think what stretch was getting at is a nice felt lining would have made the box look complete.

With that said, I understand the foam to be able to easily change it for what lights are inside.

Anyway, excellent work! Definitely true craftsman ship! :thumbsup:

missionaryman

Enlightened
I have made boxes fully felt lined before but the foam is still necessary to hold the lights neatly and firmly in place. This box with the foam in actually looks very smart in the flesh, more so than in the pics except for the lid which has not got genuine Pelican foam and looks too chunky.
I guess I could buil one with foam lined dividers to suit or I could even have solid softer wood inlay that I carve to fit and then flock it. I still like the flexibility of the foam insert better.

Here's one I made that's fully lined with felt:

2009004.jpg

Nearlyfinished004.jpg

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
Wow! That one's beautiful too. You picked a great bookmatch for the lid. Is that your wife's jewelry box?

missionaryman

Enlightened
Funny you should ask that...
After labouring away literally for months (this box even has wooden hinges I made up for it) in my shed I presented this to her as an anniversary gift to put all her jewelry in as it was lying around all over the place.
She took one look at it and said "what am I supposed to do with this?" "oh sorry did I offend you it's um really nice thanks" so I promptly gave it away to someone who actually appreciated it and it's now an heirloom for someone else's family. I made about 4 other boxes after that all for other people...

missionaryman

Enlightened
By the way that was a picture of the ugly underside of the lid, here is the presentation side, all these photos are of it raw before I applied the finish. I never took any photos of it finished - it looked so much better.

Nearlyfinished002.jpg

Latest posts