New Fenix LD03

frogamic

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any details on the upcoming Fenix LD03?
I just emailed my Fenix dealer to enquire about the LD01 and he said they're expecting a new model LD03 soon. Does anyone know anything about this light? How is it different than the LD01?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
It almost looks like a 2xAAA light but it says 1xAAA and the output seems to be like 1xAAA. Strange...

But it looks like a nice light to put in the shirtpocket.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The pushbutton switch on the end makes the flashlight longer than a twisty.

Resembles a 1AAA version of a 2AAA Fenix LD05 pen light.
Fenix made a 1xAAA clicky in the past, the Leatherman S2 which I own and it appears smaller than the LD03 but this is just a guess.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any details on the upcoming Fenix LD03? ...

You can download the LD03 instruction manual in PDF format from this link:

LD03 instruction manual

The LD03 appears to use a Cree XP-E R2 LED emitter (same as LD05). At 118 mm in length, the LD03 will be longer than the 88 mm Leatherman Serac S2, although about the same diameter.

Closeup photos and more info are here.

Last edited:

slowbra01

Newly Enlightened
why do they always start it off in MED??? it makes more sense to start low-med-high!

HKJ

Flashaholic
why do they always start it off in MED??? it makes more sense to start low-med-high!

That depends on use. Starting in medium means that the brightness is fine for most tasks and you only have to do more twists if you want a very long runtime or need all the brightness you can get.
When I give AAA lights away to non-flashaholics it is always lights with medium first.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

HKJ gave the main reason. For the vast majority of daily tasks that an EDC light will perform, medium is the ideal setting. Having it turn on first is ideal for many users. If you prefer Low to be the first setting, check out the 4Seven's Preon I and II models, and also the iTP A3 EOS.

slowbra01

Newly Enlightened
i understand that the Med level prop serves as the general purpose level for the majority of the time. working in the medical field, i just would personally like the light to start in low just in case i forget so i don't and up burning retinas hehe.

I want to get the preon 2 for myself, but for the price point and to give to a non flashaholic girlfriend in the same work field, this LD03 is hard to beat.

NickBose

Enlightened
Isn't is too long and too heavy for one AAA at 118mm and 27.6 grams?

My titanium Preon 2 is just 1cm longer at 128mm (two AAA). I'm not sure how much it weighs as there is no titanium preon on 4Seven site anymore but it must be lighter than the standard edition which is only 22.7 grams.

Even the Preon 2 sags my shirt pocket. I thought the LD03 may be better but looking at the specs I was surprised that I was wrong.

:shakehead

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I love my LD05 and recommend it highly. As for the LD03, I think a Preon 1 with Preon 2 tailcap would better in terms of size. Main advantage of a single AAA light is size. For 2AAA, I prefer something a bit thicker and longer for gripping. The Fenix LD03 seems out of place in terms of size.

pikal

Newly Enlightened
Oh, always been a fan of fenix and have been waiting for this model!