Control Ring ... Fad or Function?

Budman231

Enlightened
I purchased a V10R at the end of 2010. The control ring feature was attractive. I know it wasn't the first light to have this but to me it was a great looking light and had most of the features I had been looking for. After using the control ring for a while now, I have to say its a great feature.

How does everyone else feel about the Control Ring now that its been around for a while.

Fad or long term Function ?

Bud

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a long term function for sure. I love my EagleTac M3C4 XM-L with the control ring. The UI of this light is one of the top reasons I chose this light. There are a few lights on my list of lights to get that are mostly control ring/rotary controled lights. That type of UI is a winner to me.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
It was one of the biggest reasons why I bought my TA21. I love it and its the light on my bedside table

longboat

Newly Enlightened
I think a well-implemented control ring will have serious function for a significant portion of flashlight users. The idea of being able to easily select your output BEFORE you turn the flashlight on without worrying about what it was when you last shut it off - that can be priceless!

It kinda reminds me of the old argument about which is better - an analog watch or a digital watch? Sure, the digital watch will tell you the time, but an analog watch gives you a quick mental picture of where you are at temporally in relation to time. IOW, your digital watch may tell you it's 11:45am, but your analog watch also inherently and subtly tells you that you have a quarter-hour before your Noon lunch hour. Yes, it is extremely minor, but it helps add up with all the other little things that make quality of life just a snitch better... :)

(p.s. - try selling a digital tachometer to a racer - :eek: )

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm fine with a rotary selector, but I see no real benefit in the "infinitely variable" version of it.

I do like being able to turn the light on at a certain brightness, and that is a good feature.
For me, a hi/lo, or a hi/med/lo would be fine for virtually all needs.
I certainly think that any adjustment from off to high should be a quarter turn, or at most half a turn.

In general, I think the infinitely variable ring is an increase in complexity and cost, with questionable benefits.
I would be fine with 2 or 3 well-spaced settings, with quick switching, and ability to turn the light on at the desired setting.
That's enough for me.

And in fact, I am also fine with clicky functions of a similar nature
I find no conditions where I would need to dial up 65 lumens instead of 63 lumens. Well-thought out switching spacing for brightness levels is quicker and more useful, in my opinion.

I think we're in the early phases of these rotary design, and I'm sure they will be refined further.
Having to turn a dial a full turn is definitely not quicker or easier than clicking a switch.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say function. It's instantly intuitive - everyone's used a dimmer switch. I agree with twl that it's important to nail a good travel time on the ring: too small a rotation and you might miss your level, but too much rotation and you need to pick your fingers up a couple times to complete it.

In my perfect little world of UI's:

two-stage (SF A2) > control ring (TCR2) > click-click-click-click-click

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2, it's definitely a function. The Kroma may have been better with a clicky, IMHO. That being said, the rotarty switch only compliments the rest of the light, and the quality of it UI/Design.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be function for me. I like how I could pre-select low or high levels before turning the light on. I also agree with twl that a few selected modes at properly spaced level is beneficial. If rotary travel could be shortened when changing modes that would be ideal. The Sunwayman V10R Ti I have has just about the right amount of travel from lowest to brightest. The Jetbeam RRT-0 has a longer travel distance requiring two twists to get to highest or lowest output depending on where you are at. But I still like them a lot. It is convenient and takes away the time consuming tasks of having to reprogram the light. An example of such lights would be Quark Tactical series.

I love my HDS clicky but not being able to decide which output I want before switching it on seems a little dated in terms of technological designs. I am anticipating the arrival of the new HDS rotary and until that comes, my Jetbeam would be the light I EDC for now.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I'd say function as well. My first "real" light was a Sunwayman M10A, and I've really gotten to like rings on other lights as well ever since.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Function
I use my ring all the time on my IFE1 when walking my dog, my thumb rest's on the ring all the time - its the perfect size for my hand.
if i dont want the ring i use my other lights, i think there is a place for at least one ring in everybodys collection, there is a time and a place for everything.
that is one reason we all have 'too many lights' :)

kadinh

Newly Enlightened
It's a long term function for sure.

+1

I think it's a great way to be able to adjust the amount of light you need for a certain task, and have the ability to go from low to max with just a simple twist instead of "turn...click...click...click....click....hold......................................click........click......twist....etc

:)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Function for sure. I love the ability to instantly control my output with the control ring. I have all three of the Infilux lights, and an HDS Rotary on the way. I love this UI for its ease of use and intuitive operation. It may not be the only good UI, but in my book it is certainly the best.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the selector ring on my old RRT-0 to be difficult to use. I certainly like the idea of being able to preselect the mode before ignition, but once it's on, I found it hard to change modes one handed. I've come to prefer not only the UI on my SC50w+, but the side clicky button as well. I can use it in either a fist-grip like a regular tail-clicky, or in a pencil-grip, and have easy access to the side clicky either way.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely function for me. I'm about to leave for the weekend to Vegas and my IFE2 is the top choice as a travel light. I can vary the output as I need to navigate dark hotel rooms at minimum levels and have plenty of power too. And a tactical clicky (mine tailstands after swapping with a GITD boot) completes the package. I also have the ET M3C4 XM-L and being able to walk and easily change modes with the light in a natural carry position is so convenient.

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
technically speaking, i'm not sure how the control ring works. if it helps with battery life, i'm all for it

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
technically speaking, i'm not sure how the control ring works. if it helps with battery life, i'm all for it

There are magnets installed in the control ring, which is placed around a small computer chip that is magnetically sensitive. As you turn the ring, the internals of the chip measure the movement and adjust the current accordingly. It's like taking a hiking compass and circling it with a bar magnet - the North indicator points toward the magnet and as it turns, the voltage goes up and down.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree and second most of the posts here - control rings are great for many reasons.

However, I also think the point that BOw3zr brought up about it being difficult to use sometimes is valid, which is why i'm leaning toward the UI on my Eagletac p10a2, which is "twist the whole head" rather than "twist the control ring". I find it easier to use when i'm in a hurry, or I have gloves on, or i'm trying to do it one handed. There is just more to grab and it's easier to find.

Thefo

Newly Enlightened
I'm for them as I have a Fenix TA21, Jetbeam RRT-2 R5, and a hopefully soon to arrive HDS Rotary. I've always liked rotary controls even before they started getting more popular since you can visualize the output based on the position of the ring. In terms of build I prefer the Jetbeam magnetic switching over the mechanical gear driven sweeper that Fenix use on the TA21 since it seems more resistant to grit/sand ingress.

Last edited:

LeifUK

Enlightened
Having to turn a dial a full turn is definitely not quicker or easier than clicking a switch.

My purely subjective opinion is that turning a dial to select a level is quicker than pressing a tail switch multiple times until you reach the desired level. It is also easier with gloves on in cold weather. That said, I am happy with the Quark AA2 and Fenix L2D.

The only issue might be longevity since the rotary switch might clog up with dust and fluff. How do you service it when it sticks?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

In addition to what's already been mentioned, I'm not sure how other MFG's are designed, as Surefires is patented, but the one found on the U2/Kroma is completely seperated from the metal body, so there's really no way for it not function, or wear out. The ring with the magnet surrounds the outside of the body and really makes no contact with anything. Pretty smart desgin if you ask me. I imagine this will only work on aluminum lights (or other intrinsically safe alloys).