AAA ROP Maglite problem.

boozeralex

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have made an ROP maglite using a homemade 6AAA to 2D cell adapter and using rechargeable AAA's, The low bulb runs about as expected but the high bulb is surprisingly dim, actually it is dimmer than the low bulb.

has anyone ever made a AAA ROP, if so how did it turn out. I was asking because if it should work then I might just have gotten a bad bulb and will order a new one, if it is a known issue then I will replace the battery adapter with a AA version and get rechargeable AA's for it.

Also is there a difference between different makes of Ni-Mh batteries, such as duracell v eneloop. Is there a noticeable difference in performance.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly which batteries are you using?

I don't think the AAAs can provide enough amperage to power the high bulb, when you consider internal battery resistance plus any resistance in your light/battery carrier.

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
+3

AAA batteries have about 750mah capacity and the 3854H draws about 4A, you are trying to pull 5C from the little cells which is way too much, they were never designed for that. Runtime would also be very short, about 10-12 minutes. Try using AA's if you can.

Cheers,
Nova