Brightest single cell pocket sized light?

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
I've been EDCing the Nitecore Defender infinity, and I've been pretty happy with it, but I'd like something brighter. Yeah, original idea! :)

Basically, I am looking for a single cell either cr123 or AA (must accept Li ion, eneloop, or alkaline) , forward clicky, and pocket size. Pocket clip would be nice. Ability to use both types of cells would be nice. An extender to go to 2 cells for more output would be nice. But, and most importantly, more output than my current NDI which I think is like 140 lumens or something.

So far, I'm leaning toward the Jetbeam raptor rrt-0, because it's basically the same size as the NDI (just a little thicker) and has flexibility of using either cr123 or AA's.

Any other lights out there that I should take a look at?

Last edited:

Lumalee

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Lumapower Incendio V3+ its a 123 cell light with about 290 OTF lumens, I have a couple of them and many of my colleagues do too, Lumapower also do a turbo head for it, which gives incredible throw for a small EDC able light. Do a search on here for it, its been reviewed I think.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Nitecore IFE1 - 260 lumens on a single cr123, and has a smart ring UI where you can ramp the light from close to 0 lumens to 260 lumens....nice light. - ClickHere

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Try this one bought this light thinking cheap low quality good to throw in my tool bag for work. What I got was a very nice Bright light with great hotspot as small as my index finger in lenth runs on 1 RCR or CR 123 battery the run time stated on the auction isnt true it says 30 min on hight I ran it for little over an hour the modes are great, very fast strobe has a color change effect from blue to purple. During strobe the light is actually white light but the strobe is so fast it apears to change colors. I like the light so much it's now my EDC pocket light. Seems to be well built and anodized Type III, has a nice prisim lense for great throw. lumen output seems spot on with my other Top of the line Q5's
Here is the link to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/MX-Power-ML-310...8978475?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3cb54112ab

Joe

Flucero28

Enlightened
Are you looking for more of a thrower, flood, or compromise between both? This will help to better determine which kind of "brighter" your looking for. The RRT-0 is pretty bulky especially with the AA extender tube attached compared to the NDI. It is an awesome light though, I love mine. Its a good compromise between flood and throw, although its more floody then throwy and ive got one with a smooth reflector optimized for throw. Its also basically the same light as the nitecore infilux only it has a lot smaller price tag. Keep in mind that the output of the RRT-0 on anything but Li-ion batts will be similar to or maybe even less then that of the NDI. If your looking for a light that has great output and runtime on an alkaline or Nimh AA cell, I highly reccomend the zebralight SC51. Im very impressed with mine, 200 lumens on one AA NiMH cell!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Moddoolar Pocket. 800 lumens, shorter than a HDS, 800 lumens (or so, don't know if this is OTF or not)....runtime on an 18350 is, though, only 18 minutes, so it might not be QUITE the thing for EDC. 70 minutes on medium (30% I'll see tonight if medium is about 240 lumens....I'd be pretty impressed if it is) and a 2% low for two days. Modular battery tubes, so you can go to the 18500, 18650, or two of any of these!

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
To clarify, I would like a balanced output in terms of flood and throw. It's one of the reasons I love the NDI. It has a very practical beam profile for my needs. I also have the SureFire Defender LED, and it's almost too much throw. The spot is small and very concentrated with little spill. However, since it's marketed as a self defense light, that actually makes sense.

But, I'd like something with more output. I'll do some searches on the ones you guys have recommended. The Mac TRI EDC looks good. The moddoolar sounds promising with those numbers. The super high setting will probably only be used momentarily, so if it doesn't have long runtime on that, no big deal. If it will have a reasonable runtime on medium which would be more than the high I have now, that will be sufficient. I'll just have to see how the UI works.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming if you think of anything else. I'll look up the ones mentioned so far to see if the stats and UI are good for what I intend to use it for.

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
THose Macs and Modoos are great and all but they dont fit his requirement of

I say zebralight SC51 for AA or Jetbeam RRT-0 for CR123 /AA

I think I just wasn't super clear. What I really meant was it should accept primary or rechargeable cells. It doesn't have to be AA & CR123, would be nice, but that isn't a requirement. I also would consider other single cell options for more output, like an IMR or a 18500/650, etc.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I think I just wasn't super clear. What I really meant was it should accept primary or rechargeable cells. It doesn't have to be AA & CR123, would be nice, but that isn't a requirement. I also would consider other single cell options for more output, like an IMR or a 18500/650, etc.

Well in that case, my brightest single cell pocket sized light is an XM-L inside an L1 head and direct drive it with an AW17670 in a Vital Gear body. OTF numbers are 954 and 700 plus at 3min. (Built and tested by Bigchelis.) Not as attractive as the Mac's or the Modoo, but much cheaper!

Like so:

web.jpg

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
Thrunite Neuton 1A or 1C. Take AA/14500 and CR123/16340 respectively. Each one is 450 lumens with lithium ion, according to selfbuilt's review today, and I believe it. I have one of each, and they are bright.

Latest posts