Lumens Factory E-Series LED Head (XP-G R5 - 3 mode)

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark from Lumens Factory meantioned this head a while ago to me - now that they have it on their pages I thought I could mention it over here: Lumens Factory E-Series LED Head. Unfortunatelly not available now, but I guess it won´t be too long.

Here´s the info from Lumens Factory:

E Series Turbo Head (3 Mode Version)

• High Output Cree XP-G, R5 LED
  • 3.7V to 9V Regulated Input for Maximum Flexibility
  • 3 Mode with Memory (5%-30%-100%)
  • Maximum Current Input to LED at 1000mA
  • (Not Overdriven to Ensure Maximum Durablility and Reliability)
  • HA 3 Anodizing on the Head Unit.
  • Constant Output
  • Unique Reflector Design
  • Precision Machined Aluminum Reflector
  • High Temperature Resistant Light Orange Peel Coating
  • Every Reflector Module is Pre-Focused for the Ultimate Spot
  • Compatible with all Flashlights with E Series Sized Head Units.
Compatible with:

Surefire®
E1, E1E using 1 x RCR123A Rechargeable
E2, E2E, E2D, E2O using 2 x CR123A Primary Cells or 1 x 17670 Rechargeable Cell or 2 x RCR123A Rechargable Cells

Right now I don´t have any E-Series light anymore but I might get a body and switch for that one. I am not too sure about the anodizing. The bezel appears natural while the rest of the head appears more silver.

Eric

LG&M

Enlightened
I saw this also. Looks nice but I would like to see more info / Review/ beamshots. Do you know what the price is?

naked2

Enlightened
It appears they're available now in three different versions of the "head unit"; 3.7V-9V Single Mode, 3.7V-9V 3 Mode, and 3.0V-3.7V 3 Mode; all $55 each. As well they have the same three versions available as "module only" for $30 each, and a "head unit only", also $30.

What is not clear, is if the original head unit's "module" is also removeable, so you can swap-out one of the different modules for the original one; I would hope this is the case, otherwise this new idea would be flawed, IMO.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can swap out the module. There´s already a review of that E-Series head here on CPF. Either in the reviews or the LED forum.

Eric

naked2

Enlightened
I checked reviews, LED, and tried a search; this is the only thread that comes up. Do you have a link?

copperfox

Enlightened
Looks pretty good, but I won't buy one because: 1. Teardrop shape doesn't appeal to me. 2. Modes are spaced too close together for my tastes, I prefer a lower low. 1/10/100% would be better. 3. No neutral tint available.

naked2

Enlightened
Looks pretty good, but I won't buy one because: 1. Teardrop shape doesn't appeal to me. 2. Modes are spaced too close together for my tastes, I prefer a lower low. 1/10/100% would be better. 3. No neutral tint available.
1. I like the teardrop style; it matches my vintage round-body E2 (so does the color).

2. I agree about the modes, that's why I'm considering the single-mode version; IMO, lights with tactical momentary capability (like all E series) are better suited for single-mode operation anyway. I have LF's 3-mode XP-G R5 D26 module that came with the Seraph SP-9 I recently purchased, and from what I read in Mdocod's review (linked above; thanks Culhain!), I've deduced they probably share the same driver. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered it, as I mostly don't care for multi-mode drop-ins (all of which require successive button-presses); 20/20 hindsight shows I should have bought the single-mode SP-9, or even the Xenon. I got the Seraph mainly for a good 3x 18350 host, and will probably end up selling the drop-in.

3. I'm not a huge fan of neutral tints (even though I own a few!); they can tend to have hints of orange/yellow/brown/pink (none of whice I care for). I mostly prefer cool tints (especially if it's pure white!). Although they can tend to have hints of purple/blue/green, I don't mind if it's very slight. The problem with buying any LED product online is the infamous "tint lottery"!

Maybe LF will come out with an XM-L soon; hopefully in a "3.0V-3.7V" single-mode version! ;)