AA light with decent throw + flood ?

Preferred light

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shadovv

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
Just looking for some advice on a light for average use, this will be my walking the dog, taking out the garbage, looking out my backyard to see what all that noise is about :candle: kind of light, so it's not an EDC just for average use, here are the requirements:
- durable
- water proof
- Uses AA battery (I've got heaps of Imedions and Eneloops around the house, and want the convenience of easily obtainable AA's in case of emergencies)
- Has decent flood/throw combo, (~50m distance should be plenty)
- Has ~2hrs or more runtime on max
- Reasonable pricing (<$100)

I've so far only narrowed it down to 2 lights that meets these requirements:
- Fenix LD20 (R5)
- Dereelight Javelin (XP-G R5)

The Fenix LD40 would have been perfect if not for it's plastic body. I don't know why Fenix didn't make this in a metal body like all their other lights.

Anyway, does anybody own both of the lights mentioned above? if so which one would you recommend for the purpose I mentioned above.
Any other suggestions which fit the requirements above are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Q8iGunner

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :)
You can also check EagleTac P100A2 it has a very good combination of throw/flood.

I'm not sure about the price but I think around 40$

KLowD9x

Banned
4Sevens Quark Mini AA2.

Great light output with a nice balance of flood and throw. The color of the light is very good. Just under 2 hours on max. Seven modes. And a pocket clip.

I really like mine.

srfreddy

Enlightened
The LD40 has a decently durable body, and the polymer body allowed them more freedom in the design. If you were willing to Streetch your budget and you patience, wait for the TK41.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF :)
You can also check EagleTac P100A2 it has a very good combination of throw/flood.

I'm not sure about the price but I think around 40$
I bought one of these in neutral tint for a good friend. It is a nice light with good throw and usable spill. My boss has the Fenix LD20 R4, nice light too. My kids both have Quark AA2's which i like a little better than the EagleTac or the Fenix mostly because of the moonlight mode on the Quark.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I say get the Dereelight Javelin I have every light put out by Dereelight and love them all the Javelin is an awesome light has great throw and enough spill to see whats going on around you. It's one of those gotta have it lights. I love the fact I can just change drop in to make the light suit any need. And with Dereelight if a new better emmiter comes along you can bet they will will have a new drop in that uses it. Good luck on your decission.

Joe

shadovv

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions people.
The Quark AA2 just made things more complicated. :duh2:

On the 4sevens website there is a normal version and a tactical version, the only difference I can tell from the two is the tactical version has a more protruding tailcap, which means it won't be able to tail stand.
The quark AA2 also doesn't seem to have mode memory, so when you turn it off and back on to get to say "medium" you have to cycle through the modes again, which could get annoying fast. Can somebody confirm that for me or am I reading the operation instructions wrong?
It does have a strobe setting which could come in handy if I ever wanted to frighten off a mad dog.

Oh also noticed the version 4Seven is currently selling is using a XP-G S2, which is newer then the R5, however it seems it's not as bright, nor provide better run time.
Beamshots:
http://www.flashlight-blog.com/2010/12/difference-between-r5-and-s2-led.html

Out of the lot the Fenix LD20 seems to have the longest run time on max.
However I can't find any runtime figures for the Dereelight Javelin (XP-G R5) to compare, does anybody know these figures for the Javelin?

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
My Javelin runs around 1 hour continous on high, around 2 hours on Med and close to 8 hours on low. somewhat low run times but run time is a seconday consideration for me. I would rather have the bright light, good throw for an hour rather then dim light for 10. I allways carry extra cells for my lights. I run 2 Eneloops in this light there is an extention tube to run 3 cells for extended run time but I didn't get one for my light. hope this help.

Joe

GreySave

Enlightened
The Tactical 4Sevens lights use a completely different and programmable interface. Can be good or bad depending upon your needs, so be sure you understand how it worls. I believe thre is a video on the web page that shows the programming process.

shadovv

Newly Enlightened
Thank You all for your input.

I've made a poll to this thread, with the 4 lights I've narrowed down to. Decent output and runtime combo.
I'll leave it up for a week to help me gather some stats, and decide at the end of it which light I shall purchase!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
When You (think You) need to get into strobe quick,
then only the Fenix remains

shadovv

Newly Enlightened
I've just found some additional lights which meets my needs:
- Jetbeam BA20
- Olight T25-T (R5)

All of these lights use the same sort of emitter and spec wise are near identical.
Doesn't make the choices any easier.
Anybody have any experience with the Jetbeam BA20 or the Olight T25-T?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just found some additional lights which meets my needs:
- Jetbeam BA20
- Olight T25-T (R5)

All of these lights use the same sort of emitter and spec wise are near identical.
Doesn't make the choices any easier.
Anybody have any experience with the Jetbeam BA20 or the Olight T25-T?

Just to add to the mix since you seem to prefer AA's to 123's, try checking out the Lumintop L2A. This is a better thrower than a Quark AA2. (I know coz i own both) This Lumintop L2A has a smooth reflector, as compared to the orange peel of the Quark, also, the bigger head gives it a much better throw, i guess if you had to compare it to a Quark model, its more like the Quark AA2 Turbo, also, the good thing about this Lumintop is that it uses the Brighter R5 LED, unlike the S2 of the Quark (did i mention that i have both? heheh)

Well, good luck with your hunt! But I suggest something that can run 1AA and a 14500 cell, this way, you have a very bright light, then should you run out of juice, you can get any AA battery from anywhere and keep on going! :) Suggestions for this type? try ThruNite Neutron 1A punches the night up to about 400 lumens on 14500, and a decent 160 lumens on 1 AA battery. But this is more of a floody than throw flashlight. It uses the Cree's XML T6.

shadovv

Newly Enlightened
I feel like I should add a couple of more options to the poll for this thread.
But doesn't look like I can change the poll options once the poll has been set.
Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Specifically these are now the candidates:
Fenix LD20 (R5)
Quark AA2 (R5)
Dereelight Javeling (R5)
Jetbeam BA20
Olight T25-T (R5)
Lumintop L2A (R5)
EagleTac P20A2 MKII (R5)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Inova X2 uses a reflector, and has a perfect balance. I prefer not to do alot of "overseas online ordering" for my lights. If I buy SF or local, the returns, etc. are much easier.

Solid, "waterproof", and the stainless steel bezel help to keep it looking nice...plus it runs good on Duraloops/Eneloops!

Target has them for around $39. one of the best "local" AA lights for the price.

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I feel like I should add a couple of more options to the poll for this thread.
But doesn't look like I can change the poll options once the poll has been set.
Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Specifically these are now the candidates:
Fenix LD20 (R5)
Quark AA2 (R5)
Dereelight Javeling (R5)
Jetbeam BA20
Olight T25-T (R5)
Lumintop L2A (R5)
EagleTac P20A2 MKII (R5)
I am not sure if that is possible, but out of those choices you could literally pick any of them and likely be happy. They are all very good choices. I only have experience with two of them; The LD20 R5 and the Quark AA2 R5 (tactical). The LD20 has more throw, and less flood. The LD20's beam is also not as appealing to the eyes (in my opinion). The AA2 Tactical has a smoother beam with more flood. However, I did not like the tactical interface. I prefer the LD20 because I like the Fenix interface better (easier to get to Low, Med, High, SOS, Turbo, Strobe without having to reprogram the light). However, 50 meters should be doable with both lights. Also, you may be able to squeeze out 1.5 hours runtime with Lithium batterries, but 2 hours on Turbo will be challenging from my experience.

Good luck!

Lite-Bright

Newly Enlightened

On the 4sevens website there is a normal version and a tactical version, the only difference I can tell from the two is the tactical version has a more protruding tailcap, which means it won't be able to tail stand.
The quark AA2 also doesn't seem to have mode memory, so when you turn it off and back on to get to say "medium" you have to cycle through the modes again, which could get annoying fast. Can somebody confirm that for me or am I reading the operation instructions wrong?
It does have a strobe setting which could come in handy if I ever wanted to frighten off a mad dog.

Oh also noticed the version 4Seven is currently selling is using a XP-G S2, which is newer then the R5, however it seems it's not as bright, nor provide better run time.
Beamshots:
http://www.flashlight-blog.com/2010/12/difference-between-r5-and-s2-led.html

Out of the lot the Fenix LD20 seems to have the longest run time on max.
However I can't find any runtime figures for the Dereelight Javelin (XP-G R5) to compare, does anybody know these figures for the Javelin?
I own the Quark AA2 Tactical R5
The tailcap on the tactical will not allow it to stand. For me this is not an issue but some find it an option they like to have.
As far as settings go, I think you are misreading.
This light does have "memory" - You have a Primary and Secondary settings. Which ever two (2) are set, be them Max and Strobe or whatever, they are always going to be the ones in use when the light is turned back on.
The cycle you might be reading about is the cycle in which you program your two (2) settings you want to use. You only cycle when doing this.

As far as the S2 version goes, you really wont be able to see the difference. I asked this very question when they sold out of the R5 as I wanted to get a couple more but wondered about the S2 and it LUMENS. I was told it was minimal to the average user.

You may also like to know that they are running low on these R2 lights and once gone, they are bringing back the R5 (YAY!) So maybe wait to make your purchase.

Notice: The S2 limited editions are starting to run low! We are only listing the exact number we will be receiving in our next shipment. If you see the gray "Out of Stock" button, then that model is completely sold out - so don't wait!
We will be offering R5 editions again as the S2 editions sell out.

gate2091

Newly Enlightened
I own the fenix ld 20 r5 and its a great light. it has good through and spill

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all the lights in your poll with the exception of the Jetbeam. My opinions:

Fenix LD20: Too floody. It will not throw 50m. not the best beam pattern (most, not all, have a pin hole in the middle). I had two and one had it and one did not. It will illuminate things well to about 20m away max.
Javelin: It will certainly throw to 50m but it is much less floody than the LD20. Very very cool blue/purple tint (you can order with a neutral tint - I have both). some battery rattle. Nice size/shape compared to others.
Quark AA2: darn near the same light as the Fenix LD20 but with a more green tint. love the low moonlight mode. decent UI and size.

If the LD40 is not too big for you, I would accept that it has plastic body and buy one. The head is metal and it is brighter with more flood, better throw, better tint, longer run time, and a better easier UI than all of the above. The plastic is strong and does not scratch and wear like aluminum with HA coating. Mine has held up very well. Understand this is a larger light that is not as portable as the others on your list though.

If you don't want to go the LD40 route, look into the Fenix LD25. It is a good compromise between the flood of the LD20/Quark and the trow of the javelin plus it has a nice neutral tint and decent run times. It has an interesting (not always the easiest) UI with 3 sets of modes. Each of the three sets has two modes each. The light is all metal with a plastic(ish) coating over the handle. It is one of the most durable lights I own. I've put mine through hell and it still works fine.

I own and extensively use all of the lights I commented on.

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

On the 4sevens website there is a normal version and a tactical version,..

Oh also noticed the version 4Seven is currently selling is using a XP-G S2, which is newer then the R5, however it seems it's not as bright, nor provide better run time....

The "normal" version requires cycling through modes, whereas the "tactical" version lets you program in your two favorite modes, then one mode comes on with tight head, and the other comes on with loose head. I much prefer the "tactical" version myself.

RE: the S2 versus the R5 emitters, I have both and the S2 is very green. Many people have noticed this. It may not be an issue to you, but I do not like the green tint. I am not buying any more S2's.....

Another great AA*2 light (it didn't make your list, however) is the EagleTac P20A2 XP-G R5 MkII. I have this light and it cranks out the lumens pretty good for an AA light. It has a really nice UI, and a great combination of flood/throw.

-