Install of McClickie in G2 tailcap ??

J-FRAME

Newly Enlightened
So I have put a McClickie in Z41 metal tail cap using the punch out and pull the old one out. Does it work the same on a G2 tail cap or will it break it??

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be the same. I've never had to punch it out though, I use needle nose pliers and pull it out easy enough. The G2 is the only one I've had to boil to unthread the old parts though.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The G2 is the only one I've had to boil to unthread the old parts though.

+1

Metal caps respond better to dry heat (baking). G caps respond better to boiling. The amount of fight will largely depend on how new they are, including when they shipped. Black caps are more popular, so made more often, sonewer, so more effort is usually needed.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1
The metal seems to conduct heat to the adhesive better. The G2s that I've converted needed a little more boiling. But it can be done. Just be sure to let it cool before your burn your hand! Cannon plug pliers help hold the tailcap while unscrewing the innards with long nose pliers.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
why would you need a mclicky when surefire has the z58 z59 click on tailcap

The most obvious reason is cost, a kit can be half the price of a Z59, but there are others.

Standard Z59's are made for metal body lights and are not the smoothest with Nitrolon. There is a Nitrolon specific Z59 (identified by the narrow band of knurling) but it is not sold separately. Some just like their tailcaps to be the same color.

Less important with G's is amperage handling. Z59's don't like more than about 2 amps.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
why would you need a mclicky when surefire has the z58 z59 click on tailcap

EDIT: EG the main man himself beat me to it while I was typing. Z58 and Z59s are $42 plus tax and shipping on SF website and they dont make a Nitrolon clicky tailcap. OV has these for $22 plus $4 shipping= $26 and you can install it on a Nitrolon and the Z41 tailcap and make a clicky. Not only that the McClickys are very reliable and have only had only a couple of switches fail, where as the Z59s had problems. SF has since made changes but had to ship out replacements to a s***load of people. EG by the way I got my McClicky yesterday in the mail. Lightening fast shipping and great customer service.

Last edited:

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long live McClicky (and OR retaining ring) !!! 5 Amp safe current, was tested with up to 7,5A without failure...

Now... why there was never a 2-stage McClicky for 6P series, like it was for E... and I really regret becoming addict so late since there is a LOT of things that were offered in the past which cannot be found any more... :-(

Except for McGizmo's E series two stage tailcap, the item I really regret not being able to find is E2C adapter... would sure like to try M91 or M61W dropin on my wife's LX2...

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now... why there was never a 2-stage McClicky for 6P series, like it was for E... and I really regret becoming addict so late since there is a LOT of things that were offered in the past which cannot be found any more... :-(
hmm I think there WAS a kit to convert the McE2S swicth for the 6P range....

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I destroyed a G2 tail cap trying to get it apart. Never did. That retaining ring was like a part of the tail cap. Just wouldn't budge no matter what I did or how long I boiled it. I guess it just depends on your specific one.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a G2 tail cap retaining ring that would not budge, too. I ended up chucking it into the mill and cutting the retaining ring in half, being careful not to damage the cap itself. I only managed to nick the threads in one spot, so, it was all good. Even after cutting it in half one side did not want to come out and eventually did with some not so gentle persuasion.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm... never had any problems opening SF things... KX4, G2... it's all doable... just a little patience, right tools, heat source and strong hands... but I guess I was also lucky not to have it drowned in that red superglue...