My first decent LED light..

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
I had been pondering getting a Fenix torch or another brand for some time. It's been niggling me for a while but it's admittedly not pressing.. I'm just a gadget freak but am learning to deal with that and not impulse buy these days so I parked the notion for a while.

Looking at battery conditioners actually brought me to this forum and it seems a great place with some very knowledgeable folks, please excuse me if I'm not.

OK, my current lights and how they serve me is very basic.

I have a Maglite 2AA very basic as a backup that sits in my bugout bag and I have a Petzl Tikka that uses a green filter. The reason for the green filter is more about getting a light that doesn't mess with my night vision, it's more for when I'm off out at night when we visit Scotland and I take to the fields or hills in the evening. This way I still have a decent amount of night vision for distance stuff but I also get a view of ankle snarling holes etc.

So, what do I want with a new LED torch...

I'm a bit of a gadget freak and am quite into technology of various kinds.
Having the option of some really decent lighting of needed when out and about bimbling seems sensible.
Possibly an SOS beacon seems sensible given the nature of some of my rambles.
Small enough and light enough for an EDC.
Also I would like something that really turns out enough light to startle small game - i.e. lamping for when hunting with my air rifle.

People on other forums have posted that the LED Lenser P7 kit looks pretty good, it has rifle mounts and has a pressure kit. I'm not sure of the thoughts on this piece of kit and prior to this coming up had been looking at Fenix as a company.

Then I came here and it helped... terribly :twothumbs

Basically, I feel disinclined now to just buy. I see there's a lot of experience here and would love to benefit from some steering if anybody has the time.

Since reading through posts here I have lighted (if you excuse the expression) upon the Fenix LD10, 20 and the Nitecore D11. I'm particularly drawn towards the D11 because I really dig that interface, sorry it may be a bit crass but I just do.

I don't know how these 3 stack up against the LED Lenser and the features that the mount pack offer but I would love some advice.

Incidentally, I'm not burning candles every night for prolonged periods so I would be interested in thoughts over my preference for AA NiMH based units over the various LION types around. My guess is that extra power and longevity in the short term life of the cells is probably wasted upon my needs. Probably the most demanding output will be for lamping.

Also, I can't find any details about this but does anybody know if there are rifle mounts suitable for Nitecore D11?

Well, that's a lot of rambling but at least it tells you what I'm after.

Any suggestions would be most welcome,

Andy

Last edited:

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
Oh well, I eventually succumbed to the D11. It just seems such a great little package :)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
All three lights you mention are great (D11, Fenix LD10 & LD20.) I like AA lights the most for genearl use & for edc. I'd recommdend the three you mentioned plus the Quark AA2 & Quark AA. Also, you already use NiMh batteries you should really consider the Zebralight SC51. 200 lumens on a single NiMh AA battery, and great UI.