Carrying Powerful XM-L lights: Solving the Weight Problem

brightnorm

Flashaholic
When it comes to belt carry, weight becomes a real issue, and as Robocop says, even a few ounces can make a difference. Here are my measurements for some popular XM-L lights. I have belt-carried each of these lights for several days, many in modded Ripoffs holsters.

In order of weight (with batteries) from lightest to heaviest:

1) Lumintop TD15-X (3xcr123) 7.5oz
2) Lumintop TD15-X (2x18650) 9.5oz
3) Fenix TK35 (2x18650) 12.6oz
4) Olight M3X (2x18650) 12.9oz
5) Eagletac M3C4 XM-L (2x18650) 15.2oz
6) Catapult V2 XM-L (2x18650) 17.8oz

Battery weights:
1x18650 (PILA 2200Mah) 46g (1.6oz)
2xcr123 (Surefire) 32g (1.1oz)

Of course, at this point in the evolution of LED lights, and perhaps always, there will be no true "solution" to the fact that the brighter and longer-burning the light, the heavier (and bigger/more massive)it is. But more excellent choices exist now than ever before. In terms of weight and comfort my first choice is #1, although the inevitable compromise is the relatively short runtimes. The 2-ounce difference between the two TD15-X configurations is more significant than you would expect.

Just for comparison, the Maelstrom S12 with 1x26650 is 8.8oz.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

maglitesux

Newly Enlightened
I got an ultrafire 3-mode XM-L drop-in for my surefire 6P that works great with one AW IMR 18650 on my duty belt. Because the high mode is so bright, I use it on low and med most of the time during my 12 hour night shift. I swap out the IMR with a fresh one after three days and have never had any issues. I have other drop-ins (SST-50, R2, R5, M60, ect) and the XM-L beats them all. It's even brighter and more useful then my MTE SF-23 which I upgraded to an SST-90.

maglitesux

Newly Enlightened
Also, when I turn the XM-L on high it's always funny to see the bewildered look on the older guys faces as they stand there in slack jawed amazement… mystified and perplexed by this voodoo called the "LED".

flashflood

Enlightened
When it comes to belt carry, weight becomes a real issue, and as Robocop says, even a few ounces can make a difference. Here are my measurements for some popular XM-L lights. I have belt-carried each of these lights for several days, many in modded Ripoffs holsters.

In order of weight from lightest to heaviest:

Of course, at this point in the evolution of LED lights, and perhaps always, there will be no true "solution" to the fact that the brighter and longer-burning the light, the heavier (and bigger/more massive)it is. But more excellent choices exist now than ever before. In terms of weight and comfort my first choice is #1, although the inevitable compromise is the relatively short runtimes. The 2-ounce difference between the two TD15-X configurations is more significant than you would expect.

Brightnorm

The Lumintop TD-15X will also happily run on 1x18650, at just 6.6 oz.

flashflood

Enlightened
Are all those weights "with battery" or "dry" ? I assume the former but just wanted to check.

The number I posted above is with battery. Specifically, one AW IMR 18650. The TD-15X is 5.0 oz, the battery is 1.6 oz.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I got an ultrafire 3-mode XM-L drop-in for my surefire 6P that works great with one AW IMR 18650 on my duty belt. Because the high mode is so bright, I use it on low and med most of the time during my 12 hour night shift. I swap out the IMR with a fresh one after three days and have never had any issues. I have other drop-ins (SST-50, R2, R5, M60, ect) and the XM-L beats them all. It's even brighter and more useful then my MTE SF-23 which I upgraded to an SST-90.
That's impressive. Clearly, the XM-L in the 1-1/4" Surefire head has enough throw for your purposes. Do you ever want more throw?

Brightnorm

maglitesux

Newly Enlightened
That's impressive. Clearly, the XM-L in the 1-1/4" Surefire head has enough throw for your purposes. Do you ever want more throw?

Brightnorm

The XM-L drop-in is great, but I would prefer more throw over flood. I haven't found a thrower that fits nicely on my belt. I've tried an Aspheric R2 which has plenty of throw, but isn't very useful for patrol duties. I also have a stream light stinger LED which has good (not great) throw, but it too big for my belt. I'm sure there's some light out there that has the perfect balance I'm looking for... if you got any suggestions let me know.

st_burt

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping that the 18350 IMR will be the solution to weight problems.

I prefer to have my lights run in full regulation if possible, so 1 x 18650 isn't the best option in some lights. I've been going back and forth between 2 x 16340 IMR and 2 x 18500 IMR in a few lights, like the TD-15X and a couple SST-50 lights. I find 2 x 18500 makes the lights uncomfortably long and heavy for pocket carry, and 2 x 16340 doesn't give enough run time. 2 x 18350 IMR with spare batteries if needed should be perfect for XM-L lights.

OTOH, if you want a big reflector for throw, you may as well have 2 x 18650 or more. I like the M3C4 XM-L for that reason. (I wish there were more flashlights with parallel batteries, especially 2 x AA. I always used cheap 2 x AA lights as a kid, so I have a soft spot for them.)

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The XM-L drop-in is great, but I would prefer more throw over flood. I haven't found a thrower that fits nicely on my belt. I've tried an Aspheric R2 which has plenty of throw, but isn't very useful for patrol duties. I also have a stream light stinger LED which has good (not great) throw, but it too big for my belt. I'm sure there's some light out there that has the perfect balance I'm looking for... if you got any suggestions let me know.
ST Burt's post above is pretty informative. I'm not sure what your duty belt requirements or limitations are. Any good XM-L thrower will be bigger (longer/heavier) than your Surefire. The Fenix TK35 is a very impressive light, two side-by-side 18650's so it's very compact, more throw than flood, extremely bright with 4 selectable brightness levels. For my civilian use it is great but I'm not sure how quick/efficient its two-tail buttons control would be for your use. Here's a review.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...x-TK35-XM-L-T6-review-(BEAMSHOTS-e-COMPARISON)

The Lumintop TD15-X is also excellent. Even with two end-to-end 18650's it is shorter and lighter than big boys like the Thrunite or Olight. Although the Olight is quite light it also heats up pretty quickly. Truly, all the listed XM-L lights are excellent though finding the one that's right for your professional use is the real issue.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
That TD-15X looks really great. I have the EagleTac M3C4 XM-L and love it, but it's too big to pocket carry. I still find myself carrying my older Olight M30 sometimes so that I can carry it in my pocket comfortably & still have tons of light (520 lumens OTF.) The TD-15X looks like a good solution for the power vs size & weight issue I'm having....although not a big issue, and I realize that there is not huge difference between 520 lumens & 720 lumens.

srfreddy

Enlightened
I have noticed that the Lumintop only warms up a little on one cell, but turns into a mega heater with two....

BFAMLIGHTS

Newly Enlightened
nice thread. for someone having a broad spectrum of needs like myself this is all good to know. when hunting i want high power with light weight in my fanny pack. going in later to track deer and elk i dont care as much about the weight and opt for much brighter & bigger throw units that can almost heat up the trail so your feet don't get cold. (so to speak)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I prefer smaller lights and sacrifice some output level. My EDC main light is a Preon II. I can carry it in many ways, my favorite is in the pen loop of my jacket. It throws plent of light, and has a very good run time. There is seldom a time I need to go to a bigger light. I have a larger light should I need it in my day pack. I back it up on my person with a L0PSE in my pocket.

The weight I save in a flashlight can go into a second knife, pistol magazine, multitool, or some other piece of every day carry gear. For hunting and tracking use I prefer a headlamp so I can keep my hands free, that is what is in my hunting bag.

Last edited:

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened

Battery weights:

Brightnorm

Shouldn't you write 1lb 1.8 oz instead of 17.8 oz ? What about using grains to be more accurate ? :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

Battery weights:

Brightnorm

If weight and size are the matter, try checking out the ThruNite 1C and 2C. Just a bit thicker than Quarks, but hella Bright!